What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I lost weight, I did a complete overhaul. Lots of new (nutrient dense) foods introduced, and lots of nutrient poor, highly palatable junk foods removed.
    I learned that I loved lots of things.

About the only things that didn't "stick" were ideas I picked up on here after a number of years at maintenance.

And I gave up making my own humus and babaganousch. I just decided I didn't like it enough to make it myself. I still buy it though.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Bananas, as they don't play nice with my GI system.
  • rockn3babies
    rockn3babies Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I Tried spaghetti squash and now hate spaghetti squash. Use to eat brown rice until I found out not much health difference so I switched back to white rice. Still not a huge fan of any low carb bread.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Couscous. Has a million good qualities but lacks the most crucial one: taste.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I really love Israeli couscous, although with other ingredients (like here https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016787-israeli-couscous-with-sauteed-cherry-tomatoes-and-basil), but don't think of it as especially healthy (or not), it's just a starchy side option.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes
    lettuce to use as bread for my sammiches
    whole eggs vs white
    whole milk/2% vs almond or cashew milk..
    white rice for brown (not much difference)
    kale (cooked is gross, okay mixed with other greens in salads but not my preference)
    cauliflower is only good raw, not as a pizza crust (that is disgusting)
    Halotop... tried and hated it.. I still use a protein ice cream like Enlightened, but found Halotop repulsive as an ice cream replacement

My thought on sweet potatoes, nasty as a french fry replacement and should only be eaten at Thanksgiving and a no go on the rest.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes
    lettuce to use as bread for my sammiches
    whole eggs vs white
    whole milk/2% vs almond or cashew milk..
    white rice for brown (not much difference)
    kale (cooked is gross, okay mixed with other greens in salads but not my preference)
    cauliflower is only good raw, not as a pizza crust (that is disgusting)
    Halotop... tried and hated it.. I still use a protein ice cream like Enlightened, but found Halotop repulsive as an ice cream replacement

My thought on sweet potatoes, nasty as a french fry replacement and should only be eaten at Thanksgiving and a no go on the rest.

I just started using lettuce to replace bread on some sandwiches. Not because I'm carb phobic or anything, I just decided that I'd rather use the calories to have chips or Doritos with my meal.

Also, cauliflower pizza crust is actually very good but you have to add so much cheese, etc. to get it there that it's actually not any healthier than normal dough.

And yes, Halo Top just isn't for me. I bought two pints three months ago and still have them. I should just throw them out but I hate wasting food.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »
    Couscous. Has a million good qualities but lacks the most crucial one: taste.

Individuals are so fascinating - I feel that way about white rice, but loved couscous since the first time I tried it. (1990's) I didn't know it was supposed to be healthy tho, hmm.. off to google couscous.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Stevia. Can't stand it.
  • CaliforniaWife
    CaliforniaWife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I cut everything that affects your thyroid:
    -Raw veggies (especially spinach, cauliflower & green smoothies)
    -Soy of any kind (soybean oil, soy sauce, soy lecithin-which is in almost everything).
    -Strawberries
    -Peanuts & peanut butter (love PB but had to cut it)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Chia anything for me. Waste of time and calories.

Chia seeds are effing gross.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Weird how many people hate chia seeds. I like them. They're fun like mini tapioca balls. Now I don't eat them often because they are too high in calories to be worth it often (I like other things more), but I do have some fun with them from time to time.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm reading about others not liking avocado. I can eat almost anything but there is just something about the flavor and texture that gets to me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Weird how many people hate chia seeds. I like them. They're fun like mini tapioca balls. Now I don't eat them often because they are too high in calories to be worth it often (I like other things more), but I do have some fun with them from time to time.

I like them in pudding, but I suppose if you thought they were miracle health seeds that should be forced into your diet they could seem disappointing. (I think the health benefits are overrated, as with a huge portion of these things that people seem to have been told are for health, like replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes.)

I realize I never decided there were healthy foods I had to eat that weren't already in my diet. I tried a few of them (hemp hearts, flaxseed) and decided they were fine but rarely worth the calories as they didn't add much taste, but I never thought they were important enough to work on including more. So many different foods are healthy that forcing it -- unless you are someone who struggles to get enough protein or to eat vegetables or something -- seems pointless to me.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. I really tried to incorporate this because of all the hype, but it is the most disgusting taste for me to get used to. I tried the refined also, but I can't stand it!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Quinoa
    Almond Butter
    Brown Rice
    Hemp Hearts
    Artic Zero
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    Coconut oil. I really tried to incorporate this because of all the hype, but it is the most disgusting taste for me to get used to. I tried the refined also, but I can't stand it!

Refined doesn't have any health benefits anyway (and even for the virgin coconut oil they are overrated -- I don't see any benefit to using coconut oil vs., say, olive oil or avocado oil, unless you like the taste). I love the taste personally, for cooking. The idea of eating it plain or in a beverage, no.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/ask-well-is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-fat/
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kokonani wrote: »

Refined doesn't have any health benefits anyway (and even for the virgin coconut oil they are overrated -- I don't see any benefit to using coconut oil vs., say, olive oil or avocado oil, unless you like the taste). I love the taste personally, for cooking. The idea of eating it plain or in a beverage, no.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/24/ask-well-is-coconut-oil-a-healthy-fat/

Coconut oil - I don't use it often, but when I treat myself to popcorn, if I pop it in coconut oil it tastes just like at the movies. I would have to use far more butter calories on air popped popcorn for it to taste so good - so I keep the coconut oil around.

On the opposite side, I'm thrilled with the avocado oil inclusion in "healthy" food list. Now I never liked the taste of olive oil, but can't taste anything in avocado oil so things I used to avoid (hummus, pesto etc) are now foods I occasionally prepare and enjoy - but only because I substituted avocado oil for olive oil. If avocado oil had not been trendy, I doubt I'd have tried it.

I'm always up to trying the latest fad "healthy" food. Sometimes I find a new taste winner. More often it isn't to my liking, but I'm happy to have tried.
  • 08_GreenEyedMomma
    08_GreenEyedMomma Posts: 62 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Artic Zero

That stuff is disgusting. Tried the chocolate peanut butter flavor, and it tasted like lightly chocolate flavored water. I had such high hopes too!