What 'healthy' foods did you ultimately give up on?

Options

Replies

• descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Namely yogurt and oatmeal. I'm not fond of "goopy" textures, and I keep buying the stuff thinking eventually I might like it. Nope.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Artic Zero

That stuff is disgusting. Tried the chocolate peanut butter flavor, and it tasted like lightly chocolate flavored water. I had such high hopes too!

I think Arctic Zero is horrible too. Halo Top isn't as good as "regular ice cream" but it's waaay closer, in my opinion. Halo Top does have a bit of an odd taste but it's actually yummy unlike Arctic Zero.

Also agree with the people talking about how overhyped coconut oil has been, especially refined. I remember when I first started here on MFP a lot of my friends (not using MFP) were acting like coconut oil in everything from cookies to their hair was gonna make them magically sooooo healthy.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Coconut water
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Coconut water

Yes to this.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I *tried* health foods, but never forced myself to eat it. I decided that I hate:

coconut water
    almond butter
    kale
    celery
    pumpkin
    Arctic Zero ice cream
    and anything hemp or flax

I DO like Chia seeds in my yogurt or puddings and most other things.
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love kale and black beans as well as most veg BUT,,,, Can not for the life of me deal with whole chunks of tofu , organ meats (other than chicken liver in small doses) or bitter greens ( like danilion or arugala chickory ) same for any sushi with raw fish I just do not like the idea or the mouthfeel .
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Quinoa - tried two varieties, both bothered my stomach
    Avocado - texture is awful and taste is weird

So for some of the other foods mentioned a lot...I hate regular oatmeal, but in the winter I do like steel cut oats, but just plain, I don't like to add anything sweet to them. Completely different texture and taste than regular oatmeal.
    Sweet potatoes, I only like them once in a while and they have to be roasted with cayenne or chili pepper.
    Kale, I love it... in salad but especially sauteed with garlic and a little bacon, top with lemon juice. And I use it in a variation of that sausage potato soup from Olive Garden that I make, I like the kale way better than spinach in that.
  • Green_Faerie
    Green_Faerie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Any baked dessert recipe that gloats on the description of not using flour, eggs, or butter in order to reduce the calories when those ingredients would generally be used (cakes, cookies, ect). I get if someone is gluten intolerant or something, but all that I've ever experienced with those types of recipes are waxy or cardboardy disappointment. Just give me the real stuff and I'll adjust my calories around it, thank you.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil goes on my skin, NOT in my mouth!!

I also don't both with the expensive types of peanut butter or the made-in-store stuff. 10 bucks for a thing of peanut butter is pretty steep. Jif Natural Extra Chunky is good enough for me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Weird how many people hate chia seeds. I like them. They're fun like mini tapioca balls. Now I don't eat them often because they are too high in calories to be worth it often (I like other things more), but I do have some fun with them from time to time.

I've been too afraid to try chia pudding. The whole thought makes me cringe. But I often add chia seeds to grains or soups to up the fiber content. It doesn't alter the taste one bit.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Coconut oil goes on my skin, NOT in my mouth!!

I also don't both with the expensive types of peanut butter or the made-in-store stuff. 10 bucks for a thing of peanut butter is pretty steep. Jif Natural Extra Chunky is good enough for me.

I will say that the Whole Foods almond butter ground in-store is pretty tasty.

Also, we got a big jar of coconut oil a year or two ago. We now only use it for our dog. She loves it and we're assuming it'll have some kind of health benefit (or at least keep her pretty happy).
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't eat quinoa - tried it once and ended up breaking out in a bunch of small red dots all over
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Almond butter would another for me. I thought "I love almonds so I'll love almond butter." No. So tasteless after a lifetime of peanut butter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm weird, I guess, in that I grew up not liking and never eating peanut butter. On a whim tried some "natural" (only peanuts and salt) peanut butter in my 20s and liked it. Started eating it occasionally and then I realized that almond and cashew and walnut butters existed. Since I like almonds and walnuts and cashews even better than peanuts I tried those and loved them. I go up and down in how much I eat them, but I like them all.

None of that is weird, the not liking peanut butter when I was growing up is the weird part.

I never thought of them as especially "healthy" though, in the way I think this thread means (as in I should actively try to add them to my diet), since they are pretty nutritionally similar to peanut butter and have lots of calories.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Here is one to try if you ever have the opportunity: hazelnut butter (so creamy), or better yet, peanut butter mixed with hazelnut butter.

I was making peanut butter and I thought I had more peanuts than I did, and it wouldn't blend without enough nuts. I bulked it up with hazelnuts, and BOOM! It's nut butter on steroids! I have never tasted anything that delicious. That was the first and the last time I made it. While peanut butter lasts for a few weeks in the fridge for me, 1300+ calories of that concoction were gone within a day.
  • BellaK061
    BellaK061 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Almond milk - back to drinking skim milk
    Premier Protein shakes
    All protein bars - I was eating them like candy bars and not losing weight
    Arugula - too bitter
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Amazing how many people love Halo Top,I recently bought the new pancakes and waffles flavor thinking it might be better than the others I've tried,,nope tastes like chemicals to me
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Weird how many people hate chia seeds. I like them. They're fun like mini tapioca balls. Now I don't eat them often because they are too high in calories to be worth it often (I like other things more), but I do have some fun with them from time to time.

I love chia seeds, and same - don't eat them too often due to calorie count, but find them to be fun like you and a great source of fat.

I also genuinely like the flavor of flax meal and other things people mention hating on like kale and sweet potatoes.

For even more astonishing tidbits about my freakish taste buds, I prefer brown rice to white (I generally buy brown basmati rice) and don't mind the cooking time. I also like to use egg whites to stretch the volume in a meal made with whole eggs.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I like them in pudding, but I suppose if you thought they were miracle health seeds that should be forced into your diet they could seem disappointing. (I think the health benefits are overrated, as with a huge portion of these things that people seem to have been told are for health, like replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes.)

I realize I never decided there were healthy foods I had to eat that weren't already in my diet. I tried a few of them (hemp hearts, flaxseed) and decided they were fine but rarely worth the calories as they didn't add much taste, but I never thought they were important enough to work on including more. So many different foods are healthy that forcing it -- unless you are someone who struggles to get enough protein or to eat vegetables or something -- seems pointless to me.

It's funny, for me, either flax or chia seeds, in spite of being "fad" health foods, serve a good purpose in my diet of adding healthy fats.

I could use nuts for this purpose, but have trouble moderating them. It's easy to keep the seeds in the fridge and I don't have the same problem with moderation. I can do the same thing with them I was doing with the nuts (sprinkle them on yogurt), and get the added fat I need.

So yeah, it's a healthy bandwagon I jumped on, but they're foods that fill a niche for me and they fill it well. That I like them is just a plus.

I tried hemp hearts and liked them but decided they weren't worth the calories.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I like them in pudding, but I suppose if you thought they were miracle health seeds that should be forced into your diet they could seem disappointing. (I think the health benefits are overrated, as with a huge portion of these things that people seem to have been told are for health, like replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes.)

I realize I never decided there were healthy foods I had to eat that weren't already in my diet. I tried a few of them (hemp hearts, flaxseed) and decided they were fine but rarely worth the calories as they didn't add much taste, but I never thought they were important enough to work on including more. So many different foods are healthy that forcing it -- unless you are someone who struggles to get enough protein or to eat vegetables or something -- seems pointless to me.

It's funny, for me, either flax or chia seeds, in spite of being "fad" health foods, serve a good purpose in my diet of adding healthy fats.

I could use nuts for this purpose, but have trouble moderating them. It's easy to keep the seeds in the fridge and I don't have the same problem with moderation. I can do the same thing with them I was doing with the nuts (sprinkle them on yogurt), and get the added fat I need.

So yeah, it's a healthy bandwagon I jumped on, but they're foods that fill a niche for me and they fill it well. That I like them is just a plus.

I tried hemp hearts and liked them but decided they weren't worth the calories.

Same. They're good in oatmeal, but too calorific to make it worth it to me.