09/05: 5.04 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/06: 8.03 miles- 7 mile progression, 1 mile cool down
    09/07: 5.40 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/08: 3.56 mile easy run
    09/09: 75 min biking
    09/10: 13.17 mile long run- 3@MP/1E/2@HMP/1E/2@HMP/1E/3@MP
    09/11: 6.04 mile easy run + strength training
    09/12: 6.05 mile easy run + 15 min elliptical
    09/13: 10.05 miles- 1.5 mile warm up; 10x800m with 400m recovery; 1 mile cool down
    09/14: Off, rest day
    09/15: 6.06 mile easy run
    Total: 87.47 miles

Notes:
    Yesterday ended up being a rest day. I was planning to cross train on the bike, but my legs were very tired and I figured at this point in the training cycle, a rest day would do me more good than pushing through an hour on that damn bike. Was not happy about having to get up extra early this morning so I could my run in before a 9:30 meeting with my undergraduate student. Of course she didn't show up to said meeting (I am not terribly surprised) so I guess I could have slept in a bit after all! Oh well, at least the run is out of the way. I ran 6.06 miles at an easy pace (9:21 average). It was really hot out and my legs were still tired but I pushed through it alright. The heat was a preview for what we have in store this weekend, just in time for my last long long run. I'm going to complain a tiny bit, because we've had nice weekend weather (< 75*F) on my last three cut back weeks, but of course this will be the fourth 18+ mile long run in a row now that it has been hot (> 80*). Just as long as it cools off by the 8th....

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    - Chicago Marathon, 10/08/17
    - Space Coast Half Marathon, 11/26/17
    - Excalibur 10 Miler, 03/18/18
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    *sigh* forgot my watch. Why should I even bother to run today since it will not mean anything with out the watch to tell me how slow and fat I am?

@PastorVincent I know that feeling! Once I managed to forget my watch for a race, and I honestly almost just went home haha. I ended up running it anyways, but it was so bewildering because I had no idea how fast/slow I was going! I would vote for the "do the run later" option. Or better yet, donuts!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    So with my weight loss and lots of us in my department focusing on being healthy, the guys convinced me that going to the Police Academy and doing crossfit today would be a good idea. I probably won't be able to raise my arms to punch them in the face later. LOL :D

I've had 2 intense leg days with my PT this week I think he's trying to kill me LOL

Just punch him in the face. JK, don't. That is just my go to.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    *sigh* forgot my watch. Why should I even bother to run today since it will not mean anything with out the watch to tell me how slow and fat I am?

@PastorVincent I know that feeling! Once I managed to forget my watch for a race, and I honestly almost just went home haha. I ended up running it anyways, but it was so bewildering because I had no idea how fast/slow I was going! I would vote for the "do the run later" option. Or better yet, donuts!

9ff0egru240y.png
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »

9ff0egru240y.png

Y'all are making my hungry for donuts! Especially that one from the state fair. I thought only Texan's ate ridiculous things at the state fair!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Article I found that sums up some of my running thoughts pretty well. It's a little more defensive and distainful of road racing than I'd like, but the gist of the essence of trail and Ultra is spot on for me.

https://www.runnersworld.com/ultrarunning/i-run-trail-ultras-because-theyre-everything-road-races-arent
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I really want to start trail running. With 2 marathons behind me, I am ready I am sure. Just not found any near me yet.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I really want to start trail running. With 2 marathons behind me, I am ready I am sure. Just not found any near me yet.

I'm lucky in that there are 8 fairly big trail races near me (within 2 hour drive) From HM all the way to 100 miles. Mind you, it's only 4 occasions because s bunch of the races run almost concurrently. Superior 100 (next year's dream race) is one of the oldest ultras in the US.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    When I used to live in VA I did the Sharptop-Flattop trail which went over Sharp Top, down the backside then over Flattop and down its backside, and then you turned around and came back. Think was like 7k or so elevation. The downhills were very tricky! *sigh*
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

um.....

http://glacierridgetrailultra.com/
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent that's close to you, right?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Like a hour probably. Grove City Outlets which is mentions is 40 mins from me... but that is the Saturday after the PGH Marathon. Might try the 30k though. Looking it over now.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Like a hour probably. Grove City Outlets which is mentions is 40 mins from me... but that is the Saturday after the PGH Marathon. Might try the 30k though. Looking it over now.

that's about the distance for me to the closest trail races, but I have 13.1-100 miles all within 2 hour drive. I can always find more. Trail runners call your state Hillsylvania....
  • PastorVincent
    Options

that's about the distance for me to the closest trail races, but I have 13.1-100 miles all within 2 hour drive. I can always find more. Trail runners call your state Hillsylvania....

What is "Hillsylvania" ?

I need to find trails for training runs. Looks like the times on last years 30k were 3 hours to almost 7 hours... so I can expect I will be around 5 hours or so. Middle of the pack to top 1/3rd is where I finish overall in big races. Talks about aid stations... I would not need sandwiches for 30k :) Tailwinds would carry me fine I bet. Hmm.

Tempting.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

What is "Hillsylvania" ?

I need to find trails for training runs. Looks like the times on last years 30k were 3 hours to almost 7 hours... so I can expect I will be around 5 hours or so. Middle of the pack to top 1/3rd is where I finish overall in big races. Talks about aid stations... I would not need sandwiches for 30k :) Tailwinds would carry me fine I bet. Hmm.

Tempting.

go for it. Apparently, there's some hills in your state, according to the trail runners I know....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @Runningmischka -That sounds like my kind of day. Seriously. I like to clean when I am not doing it under the gun for company, especially because I love the feeling of having a clean house. And hanging out with my dog and cooking a nice dinner are two of my favorite ways to spend an evening. I am pretty easily entertained.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Halfway thru the month..'bout time I committed:

In it for 50m

DY Distance
    01-8.3m
    04-3.2m
    07-1.0m
    09-6.2m
    11-7.8m

Total 26.5 ucu1n2q7yybo.jpg