Savory Oats!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    timtam163 wrote: »
    Savory oats are the best!! I do them Asian style with soy sauce, sriracha, an egg on top, and scallions. For everyone who's squeamish: come on, they're just another grain.

That sounds yum.

And agreed, I think of them as a grain. If you'd do savory grits in the morning, why not savory oats? If a stirfry with rice or quinoa or barley, why not something similar with oats?
  • lemurcat12
    i'm not sure how i feel about this thread...

Heh, I'm the same... I'm not that big a fan of oats, and can't really get my head around making them savoury. But I eat some other pretty odd stuff, so eh ;)

I sell sheep yogurt and cheese at farmer's markets and one of my customers mentioned he likes to use the yogurt for savory curry oats. I tried his recipe and loved it. So I thought, why not try more? Granted, the curry does add a little bit of a natural sweetness.

Always try something new, right?

That sounds great, I'll have to experiment.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    i'm not sure how i feel about this thread...

Heh, I'm the same... I'm not that big a fan of oats, and can't really get my head around making them savoury. But I eat some other pretty odd stuff, so eh ;)

What's so odd about a savory grain dish? Do you eat rice, pasta, barley, quinoa, couscous, etc., in savory dishes?
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Has anyone ever eaten the oats cold before? Does it still taste alright? I could possibly bring this for lunch at work, but I'd likely have to eat it cold.

Also, any have pictures to share to show what their creations look like?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Not exactly savory, but not sweet. Old fashioned oats made with almond milk and fresh squeezed lemon juice and fresh grated ginger. Yummy
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever eaten the oats cold before? Does it still taste alright? I could possibly bring this for lunch at work, but I'd likely have to eat it cold.

Also, any have pictures to share to show what their creations look like?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/374150681535206817/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/374150681535208007/

Hope those links work! I love cold overnight oats!
  • remmus102
    remmus102 Posts: 24 Member
    A relatively low cal breakfast would be one serving of PB2 mixed with a bowl of plain oats and maybe a sprinkle of brown sugar on top would be about 200 calories
  • kitzykarly
    kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
    I like my oats both ways! One of my favorite ways is sautéing peppers, onions, and garlic and topping my oatmeal with it, along with black beans, corn, and salsa! For other ideas, just think of toppings you might use on a baked potato!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    How about haggis?

1371606753626.jpeg
  • kmshover
    kmshover Posts: 41 Member
    I use oats in my meatloaf. I adore 1/2 cup of oats, 1 cup boiling water....1tbsp butter....fry the oatmeal in a patty after adding seasonings of your choice, make a dippy egg.....mash it all up...YUM!!!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Oh my... this thread is a picky eaters (me) nightmare.

Does not compute...
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I do steel cut oats in vegetable stock overnight. Then zap in microwave and sprinkle with parmesan and ground pepper. Top with runny egg over sautéed spinach if time allows. Not sure why, but I prefer steel cut for savory and rolled oats for sweet.
  • velvetsparkle13
    velvetsparkle13 Posts: 10 Member
    I like what everyone else said!
    I loveeee curry in everything so curry and cumin, green onion, tomato. I wasn't able to get over it feeling too sweet until I added spices.
  • BunnyDish
    BunnyDish Posts: 19 Member
    Savoury oats are a .... thing? :o
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    BunnyDish wrote: »
    Savoury oats are a .... thing? :o

I'm intrigued too... there are so many flavour combos in here that make me say yum, but I just... would put them with rice, or couscous, or something... else? Starting to wonder if I'm missing out...
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    I find the squeamishness pretty hilarious, because where my dad comes from, oats are ONLY for savory foods. My dad's family looked on in horror and disgust when my (American) mom cooked them with milk and sugar... :D
  • BunnyDish
    BunnyDish Posts: 19 Member
    I find the squeamishness pretty hilarious, because where my dad comes from, oats are ONLY for savory foods. My dad's family looked on in horror and disgust when my (American) mom cooked them with milk and sugar... :D

Hahahaha that's awesome! I love how different the world is. :)

I have a friend who equally doesn't understand why people eat cold milk and cereal for breakfast and not cheese, toast and pastry like where she grew up in Europe. I think diversity is great. It makes us all try new things ;)
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member

I have a friend who equally doesn't understand why people eat cold milk and cereal for breakfast and not cheese, toast and pastry like where she grew up in Europe. I think diversity is great. It makes us all try new things ;)

In my case, I just can't fathom how anyone could eat SWEET rice, like in rice pudding! ;) It's pretty fascinating how cuisines vary all over the world, for sure.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2017

In my case, I just can't fathom how anyone could eat SWEET rice, like in rice pudding! ;) It's pretty fascinating how cuisines vary all over the world, for sure.

In thinking about this, I think my general assumption is that grains can be sweet or savory. I tend to favor savory for breakfast (most meals), so savory oats (steel cut, definitely), but I enjoy a rice or corn pudding. Even pasta, I love a butternut squash ravioli in brown butter sauce with walnuts, which is on the sweet side, and there are various sweet noodle desserts (kugel, for example).
    Bread is obvious, of course, and there are sweet and savory pies.
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member

I'm half Filipino and my favorite dish is white rice with sweetened condensed milk and cinnamon! There are tons of sweet rice Filipino desserts! I also eat rice with runny eggs cheese and spam lol. Maybe I should try this with oatmeal too!