Sober September 2017

Replies

• PurpleLavender77
    PurpleLavender77 Posts: 201 Member
    snowyne wrote: »
    21 days in and I've only had 1 beer. While I'm pleased about that, I'm feeling discouraged that the scale isn't really reflecting the loss of so many calories. I haven't exchanged more food or other drinks for the alcohol, and my activity level is consistent, so I'm frustrated. Still...I do *feel* much better.

The weight loss will come! Be patient!
  • PurpleLavender77
    We are 2/3 of the way through September! Keep up the great work friends, and keep working toward your goals. Believe in yourself! You can do this!
  • PurpleLavender77
    PWHF wrote: »
    I'd like to join this thread but as I haven't drunk in over 6 years it would probably be cheating...

You are welcome to join and give us words of wisdom or support LOL :)
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    I don't know how your day is going, but I could use a margarita here.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Piqueaboo wrote: »
    I had half a bottle of wine last night. At least it wasn't a full one! Urgh.

The wino in me would have finished it off. I'm impressed with your will power!
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    I joined James Swanwick's 30 Day No Alcohol Challenge. It's a paid subscription thing but has a 2 week refund policy (maybe 30 days??). Nonetheless I'm listening to his videos and he has a private FB page thats helpful too. His regular page is a little too sales'y but so far I'm finding it helpful. I'll know better tonight.
  • PurpleLavender77
    edited September 2017
    theclaw900 wrote: »
    I joined James Swanwick's 30 Day No Alcohol Challenge. It's a paid subscription thing but has a 2 week refund policy (maybe 30 days??). Nonetheless I'm listening to his videos and he has a private FB page thats helpful too. His regular page is a little too sales'y but so far I'm finding it helpful. I'll know better tonight.

Sounds interesting!

The NOMO app that I have been using has these resources they suggest or recommend:

Sober Movement Facebook Group - Private Facebook Group

Undrunk A skeptics guide to AA - (BOOK) written by A.J. Adams

Beyond the Influence: Understanding and Defeating Alcoholism (BOOK) written by Katherine Ketcham

This Naked Mind: Control Alcohol: Find Freedom, Rediscover Happiness and Change Your LIfe (BOOK) - written by Annie Grace

12 Stupid Things That Mess Up Recovery (BOOK) - written by Allen Berger, Ph, d.

Mrs. D is Going Without (BOOK) written by Lottan Dann

The bible.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    I went out on the date and had two glasses of wine. The guy was a no go. I should have stuck to the one glass. Oh well. I may give up dating again.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Wow, work today is just making me want to go live in a bottle of vodka!
    not felt the 'need' for a drink in months!
    Hopefully a run after work will see me right!

It's likely a run will do you good.

running.competitor.com/2017/06/health/running-good-addicts-recovery_165730
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    I went out on the date and had two glasses of wine. The guy was a no go. I should have stuck to the one glass. Oh well. I may give up dating again.

Just curious - do you think the right date would be bothered if you don't drink? Other posters have implied that drinking in some social contexts is so expected that they would feel some pressure to drink or at least to pretend to drink.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Day 4 (again) and so far so good. Husband asked last night if I wanted a glass of wine with dinner and it was surprisingly easy to say no thanks. I just felt so good last week not drinking, so I channelled that. And even though one glass wouldn't have hurt, I often can't stick to just one. So at least during the week, I'm abstaining.

Getting together with family this weekend and drinking is always on the agenda. But I'm going to limit it to just one night (Saturday) and then try stopping after three or four.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Question... how much weight will I gain from drinking this Saturday? Just so when I step on the scale I'm not freaked out and pissed off. Now I only "plan" to go over my daily deficit of about 500 calories but plan on running that morning so I should get 500 cal from that so basically I'm breaking even.... but this beer will be a lot of water weight gain I'm assuming. So basically staying within calorie deficit but it's including my exercise calories...