Is bread really that bad

Options

Replies

• wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    1. There is a finite amount of insulin that the pancreas can produce during a person's lifetime - once that runs out, you are screwed and develop type 2 diabetes. I personally think this is crap.

Totally bogus as my daughter was 2 when she was was diagnosed type 1. Type 1 is when the pancreas stops making insulin.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @menen28 If you think the internet is a scary kitten, run screaming away from Netflix.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I have what may be somewhat of an ignorant question on the topic but I really want to know. So I do believe that we should not label food as "good" and "bad" but some food groups are correlated to certain diseases (ex: carbs and diabetes). I guess my question is based on what I have been hearing all my life that eating simple carbs can lead to diabetes. I know it is not that simple but I would like to know (if anyone can break if down for me) what it is beyond carbs or fats or whatever that leads to these diseases. I have known perfectly thin looking people who have gotten diabetes because all they eat is pasta and white rice, is that the main factor, that carbs are ALL they eat and not a balanced diet? This person is not overweight at all and does not eat particularly large portions. I am sorry if this is a dumb question but I have learned a lot since joining MFP and want to make sure I absorb all the knowledge I can on here :)

Carbs don't lead to diabetes, being fat increases the risk, and by default if someone is overweight they are eating more calories than average, which may include more calories from carbs. That's the source of the mix up.

So it's like this:
    - carbs don't lead to diabetes, but having diabetes makes controlling carbs necessary
    - protein doesn't lead to kidney failure, but having kidney failure makes controlling protein necessary
    - fat doesn't lead to galbladder disease, but having galbladder disease makes controlling fat necessary

....and so on.

Okay that helps a lot! I guess my follow up would (if you can explain) be how a person who is not overweight or obese and never has been would develop diabetes or any other such condition?

I have heard 2 schools of thought on this (please don't shoot the messenger here for the first theory)
    1. There is a finite amount of insulin that the pancreas can produce during a person's lifetime - once that runs out, you are screwed and develop type 2 diabetes. I personally think this is crap.
    2. IR (insulin resistance) develops in the body (bad diet, SAD, etc.), so the body produces more insulin to deal with the glucose in the blood, and IR is cumulative - i.e. it just gets worse as time goes by, so eventually the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin to handle all of the glucose and bam, you have type 2 diabetes. This is the more reasonable and scientific answer and the one that I subscribe to.

Number 1 would be crap because "the pancreas not producing insulin anymore" would be type 1.

And number 2 is reversible.

Yeah, this isn't really valid. I have "reversed" my diabetes in the sense that I have lost 100 lbs, and now have normal A1c levels and manage using diet and exercise. That doesn't mean I'm no longer diabetic. If I eat more than 45g of carbs at a sitting, my glucose levels will still rise to dangerous levels. If I skip exercising for one day, my levels are higher the next day. If I have an illness which causes my cortisol to rise, my blood glucose control goes out the window. That's what is considered "reversal" of the condition. And even well controlled type 2's have a higher risk of all kinds of complications.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I have what may be somewhat of an ignorant question on the topic but I really want to know. So I do believe that we should not label food as "good" and "bad" but some food groups are correlated to certain diseases (ex: carbs and diabetes). I guess my question is based on what I have been hearing all my life that eating simple carbs can lead to diabetes. I know it is not that simple but I would like to know (if anyone can break if down for me) what it is beyond carbs or fats or whatever that leads to these diseases. I have known perfectly thin looking people who have gotten diabetes because all they eat is pasta and white rice, is that the main factor, that carbs are ALL they eat and not a balanced diet? This person is not overweight at all and does not eat particularly large portions. I am sorry if this is a dumb question but I have learned a lot since joining MFP and want to make sure I absorb all the knowledge I can on here :)

Carbs don't lead to diabetes, being fat increases the risk, and by default if someone is overweight they are eating more calories than average, which may include more calories from carbs. That's the source of the mix up.

So it's like this:
    - carbs don't lead to diabetes, but having diabetes makes controlling carbs necessary
    - protein doesn't lead to kidney failure, but having kidney failure makes controlling protein necessary
    - fat doesn't lead to galbladder disease, but having galbladder disease makes controlling fat necessary

....and so on.

Okay that helps a lot! I guess my follow up would (if you can explain) be how a person who is not overweight or obese and never has been would develop diabetes or any other such condition?

Genetics. My niece is stick thin but has diabetes, no one on our side of the family has it. Her nan does and is very over weight. Neither give a crap about what they eat.

At work (nhs) we don't stop anyone having carbs just sugar.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

So it's like this:

....and so on.

I have heard 2 schools of thought on this (please don't shoot the messenger here for the first theory)
    2. IR (insulin resistance) develops in the body (bad diet, SAD, etc.), so the body produces more insulin to deal with the glucose in the blood, and IR is cumulative - i.e. it just gets worse as time goes by, so eventually the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin to handle all of the glucose and bam, you have type 2 diabetes. This is the more reasonable and scientific answer and the one that I subscribe to.

Number 1 would be crap because "the pancreas not producing insulin anymore" would be type 1.

And number 2 is reversible.

Yeah, this isn't really valid. I have "reversed" my diabetes in the sense that I have lost 100 lbs, and now have normal A1c levels and manage using diet and exercise. That doesn't mean I'm no longer diabetic. If I eat more than 45g of carbs at a sitting, my glucose levels will still rise to dangerous levels. If I skip exercising for one day, my levels are higher the next day. If I have an illness which causes my cortisol to rise, my blood glucose control goes out the window. That's what is considered "reversal" of the condition. And even well controlled type 2's have a higher risk of all kinds of complications.

True, but in contrast to type 1, you can manage type 2 just by lifestyle with little to no medications. There's no lifestyle choices I know of that make insulin in your blood unnecessary.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Bread is the devil.
    Then I like Satan. >:)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Get thee inside me, Satan!
    (I love freshly baked bread).
    http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Four-Hour-Baguette
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Give us this day our daily protein...

And forgive us our trans fats ...

As we forgive those who woo against us...

And lead us not into over calorie consumption...

ETA

But deliver us from obesity
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    heavens no, bread is fine.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    trkougl72 wrote: »
    Carbohydrates turn into sugar in your mouth, simple carbs or refined ingredients are the worst. Carbs aren't so bad in vegetables also known as complex carbs. Your body can burn sugar or fat simple carbs turn into sugar immediately

All carbohydrates are digested/metabolized into simple sugars.