Is bread really that bad

Replies

• nikismithwin
    nikismithwin Posts: 6 Member
    In my breadbox, I have a loaf of honey wh. bread, a package of flour tortillas and some sundried tomato wraps. Surprisingly, to me, was the bread is the healthiest option of the 3( I guessed wraps). So I suppose there are much worse things you could eat.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    Bread's fine. I love bread! As long as it fits in your calorie limits and you're also getting enough protein & fat & nutrient dense foods eat whatever you like.

Personally, I look for breads without high-fructose corn syrup - because those actually seem to make me hungrier.

The whole sugar in bread thing freaked me out when I went to America. Bread here in Australia just don't have sugar. Even just plain white sandwich bread you buy from the store doesn't have sugar in it... Frankly, American bread was just weird, to me. I couldn't eat it.

Yes, it is weird. I'm fortunate to live in an area with lots of quality bakeries. It costs a bit more, but I never have to eat that mass produced kitten.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Meghanebk wrote: »
    Bread's fine. I love bread! As long as it fits in your calorie limits and you're also getting enough protein & fat & nutrient dense foods eat whatever you like.

Personally, I look for breads without high-fructose corn syrup - because those actually seem to make me hungrier.

The whole sugar in bread thing freaked me out when I went to America. Bread here in Australia just don't have sugar. Even just plain white sandwich bread you buy from the store doesn't have sugar in it... Frankly, American bread was just weird, to me. I couldn't eat it.

Same. When I went to the US I had to look for specialty breads. I just couldn't eat the bread. I have real issues with savory foods tasting sweet and the sweetness was shocking. I could only eat normal sandwich bread with things like PB&J and had to avoid ordering anything with bread at restaurants.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    I have some 40 calorie bread for when I want some toast or a sandwich but I also substitute with lettuce wraps.
  • Khaliae
    Khaliae Posts: 40 Member
    Bread isn't bad, just eat small amounts.
    If you want larger amounts of bread, I highly recommend the danish Rye bread, if you're able to get it somewhere (German version called schwarzbrot is almost as good and slightly more common)
    There're barely any wheat in rye bread and it's mainly fiber and wholegrains! it's great (^_^)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    menen28 wrote: »
    Treece68 wrote: »
    @menen28 What did you read to make you scared?
    A page on fb seem to think bread rice and most carbs raises insulin

Actually both carbs and protein raise insulin. Insulin is not a villain, your body needs it to metabolize food.

Carbs do raise blood glucose levels, but unless you are diabetic or prediabetic, there is no reason you need to worry about this. Your doctor should check your glucose as part of a regular checkup, if you are concerned.

Some of the least obese cultures on earth eat rice and bread every day. If you are well off enough that you eat a variety of foods as well, and you eat within your calories, it's fine.
  • menen28
    menen28 Posts: 41 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Give us this day our daily protein...

And forgive us our trans fats ...
    Haha
  • menen28
    The internet is a jerk. Kind of unfortunate, since the MFP community is internet. But we love you and don't want you to be afraid of food.
    Thank u
  • menen28
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If bread/carbs were really bad for us, you'd think the human race would have perished long before the keto fad and all the carb fear started. I mean, humans have been eating bread for what, a couple thousand years?

For unleavened bread, try more like 12,000 years. For leavened (yeast) bread, it's about 6,000 years. Earliest archaeological evidence for flour goes back 30,000 years though: http://www.pnas.org/content/112/39/12075.abstract (suck on that, paleo dieters!).

Rice domestication in China dates back to around 9,000 - 10,000 years ago.

So yeah, we're good with eating the bread and rice.

Than
    Khaliae wrote: »
    Bread isn't bad, just eat small amounts.
    If you want larger amounts of bread, I highly recommend the danish Rye bread, if you're able to get it somewhere (German version called schwarzbrot is almost as good and slightly more common)
    There're barely any wheat in rye bread and it's mainly fiber and wholegrains! it's great (^_^)

thanks so much