WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would like to think I am in a good mood today. But I am not sure.
    My son, for the person who asked, is 8. That's him in the picture from last November. But he has grown 3 inches and is looking skinny. Also, we (he chose, I said OK) had his hair cut in a military barbershop to 'regulation.' It was a mistake. I am wetting it down and trying to keep it mostly looking like it was brushed recently. Ladies, that boy is all I live for.
    He looked at the pictures posted here. I want the salad shown but he wants the 3 dogs YOGI and 2 others. We looked them over 2 times!
    We went to the Y pool yesterday and a man struck up a conversation with me. I DIDN'T LIKE IT. He asked questions about where I lived, what I did in the community, and eventually told me what I said about my husband was not correct. I told him I did not know but that is what it said on the tombstone. And he seemed to doubt my 'claim' of having mowed any of the lots on the street I supposedly own (the lots, I don't own the street). Then he realized he had known my husband and met me before. Finally, my son swam up and around to claim his property (me) and that seemed to move the man on. Oh, my, goodness. I will take care not to get trapped in a corner of the pool-I was just trying to exercise as I do daily there. If a person speaks to me, I speak but I had to keep an eye on the boy at the other end and the lifeguard that goes to our church was there. I was just uncomfortable. If he knew my husband then where was he at the funeral? You know, we all do, people can say things and be just full of untruth but I like to think I mostly stick to the facts with a bit of humor. He left shortly after the boy began to do his usual antics of swimming around and splashing. I hate when people say He can't be your child...but the man looked at him and said he looks exactly like Phil (my husband). Then also something about protruding eyes. I reminded him my husband was 1/2 Japanese which he did not know? Anyhow, he left saying he would drive by the street to see the lots and I replied Sure, you will see Phil's truck right there in my driveway. My husband had that truck for years. Also he added Do not mess with the IRS and tax people. ?I guess I stew on things but...well, I will not exercise at the deep end in the corner just to leave room for others anymore!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Lisa you sound like the converted! I love my mini IP as well. Cooked chickpeas from dried, then made hummus. Yummy.
    NYKAREN
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dana: Which iphone do you have? Mine is a 10.3 & AT&T has sent me a message that I'm eligible for an upgrade. Thinking about it. I only have a little capacity left because of all the photos and apps that I have on the phone. :ohwell: We also get Direct TV but our data is with Century Link.

Alison: Don't buy junk food. Stock your new refrigerator, cupboards, and your new life with only the best, healthy food. I know that if I have junk food around, I'll eat it. This is probably true for most people. Have veggies and fruit available if you need a snack. Celery is on the amazing list for snacking. As I recall, raw celery takes more calories to digest than it contains. (Unless you put a dip on it.) :flowerforyou:

Pip: We have an Anytime Fitness place here in town. I was a member for a while before I retired, but it wasn't right for me. DH wouldn't go with me, and I didn't like being there alone. The sports center where I go now is just right for me. There is lots of variety in classes and equipment, and people who have become friends. Mornings have a lot of 50+ people. Evenings have a younger crowd of people who come in after work. :bigsmile:

We're having a grumpy morning here in paradise. We didn't like the outcome of the homeowners meeting yesterday. DH just got mad because I turned to face my computer and type. Do you remember the old movie, Marty, with Earnest Borgnine? His character and the character's friend are sitting around saying, "What do you want to do?" "I don't know. What do you want to do?" Today, that is the two of us.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"So many of us believe in perfection, which ruins everything else, because the perfect is not only the enemy of the good; it's also the enemy of the realistic, the possible and the fun."
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Josephine ~ I am amazed that a man you didn't know would ask you so many personal questions. I would have ended the conversation quickly.

Katla ~ Sorry your meeting was a disappointment.

Lisa ~ I have not been very adventurous using my mini pot. I was worried if I cooked beans in it they would froth too much. Did that happen?

Long day here! I am a tv addict and miss my daily shows on the weekend.

Carol in GA
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Oh, Josephine, that sounds so uncomfortable and awkward. I hope you don't run into that guy again.

The antibiotics are kicking in, and I am feeling better. I haven't run or hiked in eight days, since falling ill, so I need to get back at it. I have been so wiped out after work that all I've managed is Pilates and dance.

My son's advertising thing went well. He said he was nervous, but that it was still fun. I will post a picture from it when I am able.

Allie, your move is so exciting.

Katla, sorry the hoa meeting didn't go well.

The teenager and I went to see The Kingsmen last night. Oh dear. I could have done without some of the violence, but it is comic book violence, and completely unrealistic. The teenager lived it.

Have a great Sunday.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Carol, no, as long as everything together goes no higher than halfway up the inner pot, there are no issues with foaming up. Lots and lots of recipes out there.
    Lisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Welcome new peeps
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Heather - I so appreciate what you said about eating GOOD food (better than restaurant quality). And eating like French women eat. I think that's the key - being mindful of what goes into our mouths. Make it delicious and special. I also read, when researching cutting back on sugar, to have ONE really scrumptious dessert once a week. Instead of grabbing candy bars and/or cookies each day, make a habit of saving that sugar for a treat (if it even tastes good anymore!).

That's my goal.

Heather - I too recall you often enter "copy yesterday" onto the MFP food diary. Since I normally eat the same basic things each day, I just went onto the diary and entered those foods ahead through this Wednesday. I can always subtract them if not eaten at the end of the day, but they are my guide for getting balanced meals and enough fiber and protein.

Then I'll add in other items. I do not log foods every day. Gave that up when I stopped Weight Watchers, altho I think it helped me at the time.

I have been very lucky so far that I've been getting enough exercise to burn through overindulgences calorie-wise and not add weight (and tighter jeans mainly!)

Reading about physical problems some of us and our spouses and family members have which limit their mobility and ability to exercise keeps me getting those walking shoes on in the morning and doing the strength training three times a week. I am very, very grateful I can still do those things.

Welcome new peeps! You have come to the right place!

Lanette
    Sunny and cool SW WA State
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kelly, was reading about the conference or whatever you went to about children's brains and neurology. It all reminded me of the lady we had hear that was an advocate of children, especially those with special needs due to abuse. I just can't remember her name no matter how hard I try. Been thinking about her for while. She had adopted her nieces or grandchildren. She lived in a beautiful Victorian home. Help! Who was she?

Well I would say church was good but it was far from normal. You don't usually see some one approach the pastor during the service. But some one walked up the side aisle and whispered to him. Then he stood up and took over the 'deacon moment' and said that one of our men had been found dead. He was a Sunday School teacher and had not arrived for Sunday School. That is highly unusual for this man. Since he was absent for choir also, the preacher sent some one to check on him at his house. This guy was a deacon, Sunday School teacher, minister and filled in for our preacher when he was gone for some reason, choir member and teacher in a local university. He was a real interesting man. He will be missed. Our service was definitely God led since the pastor was shocked and couldn't share any of his emotions with anyone and the service had to be changed without consulting anyone. As far as choir, wow, my other send alto wasn't there, and other main soprano was absent at a craft fair so our second choir row was just 2. Yep, 2 of us. And there were a total of 2 sopranos. So the church director sang soprano with them. She was going to sing 2nd alto with me but she had to switch and sing soprano. So the just few 2 nod alto parts I was on my own.

Chris, some things worried me about your date. Who was it that had a recent relationship and he was very possessive. When your date had already called for reservations, this reminded me of that guy.

Ok, my thoughts of the day.

Joyce, Indiana
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Chris, some things worried me about your date. Who was it that had a recent relationship and he was very possessive. When your date had already called for reservations, this reminded me of that guy.

Ok, my thoughts of the day.

Joyce, Indiana

Joyce
    - I think it was Dori who had the unfortunate incident with the possessive/aka stalker type guy. I suppose a good test would be to say "I'm having a colonoscopy next week" and see if he volunteers to be with you during the cleanse, lol. >:)

Hopefully making reservations for the dinner just meant he had some manners and was thoughtful. B)

Chris, keep us posted!

Lanette
    SW WA State where if you want to impress a guy, buy a big pick-up truck and volunteer to cut up venison when he brings home a deer. <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Joyce her name was Miriam.

So sorry about your member of your church.