Sep   4     5.1        9.6
    Sep   7     3.8       13.4
    Sep   9     6.2       19.6
    Sep  10     4.3       23.9
    Sep  26     3.0       26.9

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes congrats on your race (and a bit ;) )! Love that the puppers medalled up too!

On track to exceed goal tomorrow morning- gotta love high volume training <3

September 1- 23
    September 2- 60
    September 3- 30
    September 4- 20.6
    September 5- Off
    September 6- First Day of School
    September 7- 23.4
    September 8- 16
    September 9- 70
    September 10- 20.1
    September 11- 20.1
    September 12- 20.1
    September 13- Off
    September 14- 8
    September 15- Off
    September 16- 80.7
    September 17- 7.3
    September 18- 21.7
    September 19- 21.4
    September 20- 21.4
    September 21- 20.5
    September 22- 19
    September 23- 42.4
    September 24- 26.4
    September 25- 22.4

594.5/600km

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    9/01 - 5.15
    9/05 - 3.04
    9/07 - 2.2
    9/09 - 6.2 (10k race day!)
    9/11 - 3.36
    9/12 - 2.87 (this is what my phone calculated, the hotel treadmill had it at just over 2m)
    9/13 - 3.0
    9/14 - REST
    9/15 - 30 minutes of cross train/core exercise DVD plus I'll do walking later.
    9/16 - 4 (great pace for me today!)
    9/17 - REST
    9/18 - 3.99
    9/19 - 30 mins cross trail/core DVD, plus .33 mile light jog with the pupper
    9/20 - 4
    9/21 - REST
    9/22 - 60 minutes cross-training (Les Mills Bodypump at the Y)
    9/23 - 5
    9/24 - REST
    9/25 - 3.5 (in the rain!)

Goal: 40 miles
    MTD: 46.64

Upcoming Races
    10/08 - (5k) Run the Rocks
    10/28 - (10k) Kooky Spooky
    11/18 - (10k) Turkey Trek
    12/09 - (HM) Fa La La Half Marathon

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    9/1 = 5.5 miles
    9/2 = Rest Day
    9/3 = 16.5 miles (run/walk intervals)
    9/4 = 8.5 miles and a Hatha yoga class
    9/5 = Camp Gladiator class
    9/6 = 6 miles and 45 minutes strength training
    9/7 = 10.5 miles
    9/8 = 7 miles
    9/9 = rest day
    9/10 = 13.5 miles (run/walk intervals with running group)
    9/11 = 8 easy miles and 30 minutes strength training
    9/12 = Vinyasa yoga class & 3 mile walk with the puppy and hubby
    9/13 = 8 miles
    9/14 = 7 miles and Camp Gladiator class
    9/15 = 3 miles (and a long 6 hour car ride)
    9/16 = 6 miles hiking (up a mountain)
    9/17 = rest day (and another long 6 hour car ride)
    9/18 = 13 miles
    9/19 = sick day
    9/20 = 8 slow miserable miles
    9/21 = 7 miles
    9/22 = 11 miles
    9/23 = rest day
    9/24 = 13 miles
    9/25 = 8 miles and 30 minutes strength training

Okay, my fancy new watch was being sassy after my run this morning. It told me I run 24 seconds slower a mile than the average woman my age. Gee THANKS, stupid watch. Whatever....

156.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Pretty!

I sent feedback to the race organizers that they should probably at least tie a balloon or something to the turnaround point. I know there were at least 6 participants at the back of the pack who went too far.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Strava requests from bo b, Stephanie and Simon. Please let us know you are here before the request is okay'd.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Didn't get the chance to post this weekend. I did my 11 miles on Saturday. I'm ashamed to say that I walked most of mile 10 and a good bit of mile 11. Does that even count? :(

My feet were bothering me at mile 8. My RL running friend suggested some exercises to help build up my arch muscles and help with the pronation. Not sure how quickly I'll feel the results. I hope by 11/4!

I tried my first small breakfast before a run. (usually done fasted). 1 TB of peanut butter on whole wheat slice of bread. Will have to rethink that one. Ran with a bottle of lemon vitamin water. That felt awkward, but I welcomed the liquid. Didn't try any fueling during the run. I wonder if that would have helped? I ran 2 hours later than usual. The temp was 10-15 degrees warmer than usual and the humidity was brutal. Had shoulder muscle cramps and didn't feel much like moving after the nice shower at home.

All of that to say, I sincerely doubt my sanity right now. If 11 miles was that difficult on Saturday, what will 13 miles feel like in November? Should I try for 12 next Saturday or should I revisit the 11 that I struggled with last Saturday. So many questions. Are there any answers?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    All of that to say, I sincerely doubt my sanity right now. If 11 miles was that difficult on Saturday, what will 13 miles feel like in November? Should I try for 12 next Saturday or should I revisit the 11 that I struggled with last Saturday. So many questions. Are there any answers?

If you can do 10 in training, you can do 13 in a race. I know, I know, it does not seem like it should work. But it does! (and there are good reasons!) Assuming you are following (I do not recall if you mentioned it) a decent training plan, stick with it. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

If you can do 10 in training, you can do 13 in a race. I know, I know, it does not seem like it should work. But it does! (and there are good reasons!) Assuming you are following (I do not recall if you mentioned it) a decent training plan, stick with it. :)

I second this! I had never run more than 5.15 miles before doing a 10k, and I showed up and nailed it because I stuck with my training plan. For that reason, I'm using a similar training plan for a HM. Some days 3.5 miles are painful, whereas 5 miles comes so easy. I'm just going to keep following the plan, trusting the process, and I feel like when I show up on race day, I'll know what to do--and have everything in me I need to run the race.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

I've never run more than ten miles when training for a half.

You'll be fine.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Hal Higdon HM novice #2 plan. The highest mileage will be 12 miles. But those 11 felt so hard. And I realize that there were several factors at work on Saturday. I'll keep plugging away at the training plan and fight back the self doubt...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Didn't get the chance to post this weekend. I did my 11 miles on Saturday. I'm ashamed to say that I walked most of mile 10 and a good bit of mile 11. Does that even count? :(

It counts. Last April, I cramped up at the mile 24 aid station and walked most of the last 2 miles of the Boston Marathon. I still got an official time, because I *finished*. It counted for me, and it counts for you.
    My feet were bothering me at mile 8. My RL running friend suggested some exercises to help build up my arch muscles and help with the pronation. Not sure how quickly I'll feel the results. I hope by 11/4!

I tried my first small breakfast before a run. (usually done fasted). 1 TB of peanut butter on whole wheat slice of bread. Will have to rethink that one. Ran with a bottle of lemon vitamin water. That felt awkward, but I welcomed the liquid. Didn't try any fueling during the run. I wonder if that would have helped? I ran 2 hours later than usual. The temp was 10-15 degrees warmer than usual and the humidity was brutal. Had shoulder muscle cramps and didn't feel much like moving after the nice shower at home.

Fueling during the run can help with energy levels. To the extent "fueling" also includes electrolytes, it can help with cramping. Maybe lack of fluids and electrolytes was part of your foot issue; or maybe you need to strengthen the arch muscles and/or something else. I can't tell.

Pre-run and in-run fueling needs vary considerably from one runner to another. You just have to try different things and see what works best for you.

In November, the heat and humidity should not be issues, assuming you will be running in the northern hemisphere. A bad day might have wind, snow, and cold temperatures; but I've found that cold weather is easier to deal with than hot, humid weather. You will still have the issues of endurance and conditioning; but to the extent the heat and humidity makes those issues worse, that part will go away by November.

If you've got a training plan, stick with the plan and trust the process. There will be bad days, but not all days will be bad. If you're training by feel and advice from other runners, my advice would be to repeat the 11 miles in nicer weather and see how much better it goes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I'm using the Hal Higdon HM novice #2 plan. The highest mileage will be 12 miles. But those 11 felt so hard. And I realize that there were several factors at work on Saturday. I'll keep plugging away at the training plan and fight back the self doubt...

Trust the training. I never ran more than 20 before my first marathon. It works. :) You are well on your way for November half.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Speaking of which, I did 18 miles yesterday and am wondering if I should switch my 10/21 registration to a full marathon instead of the half. The 18 miles felt pretty good until about mile 12 qhen electrolytes depleted. I know how to solve that... just wondering what everyone thinks. I wasn't going to run a full until next year, but maybe I am ready. Thoughts?