Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It's unpopular to say that you exercise for calories, many often feel the goal would be superior if it's done for fitness. I exercise for calories and I don't mind not being superior. Fitness and enjoyment are just pleasant side effects.

Many would discourage eating when not hungry. I don't find anything wrong with that. If my calories are accounted for, you bet your boots I'm going to eat hedonically and enjoy every single bite without the least bit of guilt, and I don't consider it to be an unhealthy relationship with food. I think it's perfectly normal to eat for the sole purpose of enjoying food as long as it's not detrimental to the weight loss process as a whole.

Many people would consider going very low on calories after a high calorie day to be detrimental and something that could fuel a binge and restrict mentality. I'm not afraid of these tactics because I've never had an eating disorder and it's all calculated, planned, and relatively anxiety-free. I do it as a "naturally thin people mimicking" strategy not as a punishment. The way you mentally approach such a practice makes all the difference.

If a high protein diet is not sustainable I feel it's perfectly okay to eat as much protein as is reasonably manageable. I feel for some people "high protein" is the new "low carb" (which was the new "low fat"), that is, a rigid panic inducing requirement for weight loss with no middle ground. A person's goals don't need to be identical to everyone else's, so if slightly higher muscle loss (the difference is not even that large) is an acceptable tradeoff for someone, then so be it.

I don't believe that crash dieting is always bad. I'm very careful when I voice this opinion and I don't voice it often because it may be mistaken for promoting crash dieting for everyone, but there are cases where I believe it could be okay.

I don't think people "need" to lift any more than they "need" to run. It's perfectly okay to not enjoy lifting and you're not inferior if you don't.

Yes, I like using the treadmill. Sue me.

Thsnk you for the comment on lifting. Lots of lifters look down on those who dont lift. I do what i enjoy, lots of different things

You do realize that resistance exercise is recommended by the CDC for sustained good health? It's not just the domain of some bros who want to flex in too tight t-shirts.

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/adults/index.htm

Weight lifting is not the only source of resistance training.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    It's unpopular to say that you exercise for calories, many often feel the goal would be superior if it's done for fitness. I exercise for calories and I don't mind not being superior. Fitness and enjoyment are just pleasant side effects.

Many would discourage eating when not hungry. I don't find anything wrong with that. If my calories are accounted for, you bet your boots I'm going to eat hedonically and enjoy every single bite without the least bit of guilt, and I don't consider it to be an unhealthy relationship with food. I think it's perfectly normal to eat for the sole purpose of enjoying food as long as it's not detrimental to the weight loss process as a whole.

Many people would consider going very low on calories after a high calorie day to be detrimental and something that could fuel a binge and restrict mentality. I'm not afraid of these tactics because I've never had an eating disorder and it's all calculated, planned, and relatively anxiety-free. I do it as a "naturally thin people mimicking" strategy not as a punishment. The way you mentally approach such a practice makes all the difference.

If a high protein diet is not sustainable I feel it's perfectly okay to eat as much protein as is reasonably manageable. I feel for some people "high protein" is the new "low carb" (which was the new "low fat"), that is, a rigid panic inducing requirement for weight loss with no middle ground. A person's goals don't need to be identical to everyone else's, so if slightly higher muscle loss (the difference is not even that large) is an acceptable tradeoff for someone, then so be it.

I don't believe that crash dieting is always bad. I'm very careful when I voice this opinion and I don't voice it often because it may be mistaken for promoting crash dieting for everyone, but there are cases where I believe it could be okay.

I don't think people "need" to lift any more than they "need" to run. It's perfectly okay to not enjoy lifting and you're not inferior if you don't.

Thsnk you for the comment on lifting. Lots of lifters look down on those who dont lift. I do what i enjoy, lots of different things

You do realize that resistance exercise is recommended by the CDC for sustained good health? It's not just the domain of some bros who want to flex in too tight t-shirts.

I posted this as a reply to someone who said the same thing you are earlier.

Understand and agree. That is why I specifically said resistance training as opposed to "weight lifting". I would assume that is also why the CDC refers to it as muscle strengthening activity.

Resistance training is important for long term health and vitality. Most people don't get enough in their jobs/daily life.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member

Understand and agree. That is why I specifically said resistance training as opposed to "weight lifting". I would assume that is also why the CDC refers to it as muscle strengthening activity.

Resistance training is important for long term health and vitality. Most people don't get enough in their jobs/daily life.

I agree, I think that you should put your body under a minimum amount of physical stress for a few hours per week. Stress on your cardiovascular system from elevating your heart rate for significant periods of time and stress on your muscular system from some sort of resistance training.

I am in my late 40s and I'm trying to maintain my physical resilience in general; it seems like this the period in many people's lives where they transition away from the more physical activities and move toward more passive ones, and will be sacrificing muscle and bone density as a result.
  • Need2Exerc1se

I did see your reply to the other post after I'd posted mine. It seems odd to me you posted the CDC article as what appears to be an opposing view to someone saying they do a variety of things and that some lifters look down on those that don't lift if you agree that a variety of activities can provide the resistance needed.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    On that note, if I visit Texas for food, I'm getting TexMex. For BBQ, I'm going to Alabama, Tennessee, KC or the Carolinas.

For North Carolina BBQ, eastern or western?

Though I'm veggie and no longer would consume, I lived in NC for a while, and hubby and I developed opinions about this.

...and Greensboro does their own spin on BBQ.

It's BBQ - all good.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

I did see your reply to the other post after I'd posted mine. It seems odd to me you posted the CDC article as what appears to be an opposing view to someone saying they do a variety of things and that some lifters look down on those that don't lift if you agree that a variety of activities can provide the resistance needed.

I took the comment that I originally responded to with the CDC guidelines, the poster saying "they did a variety of things" that they wasn't a fan of resistance movements (right or wrong on my part). Lifters that know what they are talking about are not going to be looking down on individuals who do progressive resistance work with something other than a barbell.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    On that note, if I visit Texas for food, I'm getting TexMex. For BBQ, I'm going to Alabama, Tennessee, KC or the Carolinas.

Though I'm veggie and no longer would consume, I lived in NC for a while, and hubby and I developed opinions about this.

It's BBQ - all good.

ooooh, what is Greensboro BBQ like? I really like Carolina bbq, a very close second behind my beloved Texas hill country style.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I took the comment that I originally responded to with the CDC guidelines, the poster saying "they did a variety of things" that they wasn't a fan of resistance movements (right or wrong on my part). Lifters that know what they are talking about are not going to be looking down on individuals who do progressive resistance work with something other than a barbell.

Agreed...I often tell people that resistance training is important but they don't need to lift heavy or even lift weights...and that includes hand weights as well...

Any form of resistance training is good...however people need to know what is resistance training and what isn't.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »

It's BBQ - all good.

ooooh, what is Greensboro BBQ like? I really like Carolina bbq, a very close second behind my beloved Texas hill country style.

I love texas BBQ, and can't abide Carolina style. Pig brains boiled in vinegar... yuck.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Question about resistance training since we're on the topic. I know cycling isn't considered resistance training in general, but what about hill-climbing? I'm asking because I have technically have osteoporosis, but when I took a spill last year and fell sideways smack onto the pavement still clipped in, while I had deep bruises on my hip from the impact I didn't break anything.

Since I wasn't doing any other weigh-bearing exercise at the time I've wondered if training on hills had anything to do with not breaking my hip?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    jdlobb wrote: »

It's BBQ - all good.

Eastern is vinegar based and whole hog. Usually a very thin sauce.

Western (Lexington) uses a tomato base and focuses on hog shoulder.

Greensboro is it's own thing and closer to Texas pit style, focusing on the flavor in the meat over the flavor from the sauce. Sauces tend to be a combination between East & West NC, but much thinner and heavier on the peppers.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited September 2017

My take on this after reading many posts from the truly experienced and knowledgeable lifters and fitness people is that they don't look down on other forms of resistance training.

I mostly see newbs who think they know everything to be the ones who have the "barbell-lift-heavy-or-GTFO" mentality.

I hate this mentality, it is like someone saying "I'd like to start running" and telling them they should "get out there and run a really long distance as fast as possible", it is completely useless advice and a sure way to just discourage someone and intimidate them from trying something new.
  • Need2Exerc1se

Got it. You may be right. They didn't really say what the variety of things included.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    mph323 wrote: »
    Question about resistance training since we're on the topic. I know cycling isn't considered resistance training in general, but what about hill-climbing? I'm asking because I have technically have osteoporosis, but when I took a spill last year and fell sideways smack onto the pavement still clipped in, while I had deep bruises on my hip from the impact I didn't break anything.

Since I wasn't doing any other weigh-bearing exercise at the time I've wondered if training on hills had anything to do with not breaking my hip?

Hill climbing would involve resistance. I can't imagine any other way to get up the hill. ;)
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Catching up from the weekend - my favorite way to drink cider is to get the soft version and add Captain Morgan to it. Sometimes I mull it, sometimes I don't. Both are delicious.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

Hill climbing would involve resistance. I can't imagine any other way to get up the hill. ;)

Thanks, that's what I thought too :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

I have read that biking does not build bone density and that is the point of weight/resistance training and that some studies show that depending on how much you bike you could be reducing bone density.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I have read that biking does not build bone density and that is the point of weight/resistance training and that some studies show that depending on how much you bike you could be reducing bone density.

Agree - depends on volume of riding, years riding age, type of riding etc etc.
    An elite long distance road rider with very low body mass with years of riding under their belt is going to have a very different issue compared to a recreational mountain biker or sprinter for example.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/why-cycling-is-bad-for-bone-density-and-how-you-can-improve-it/

Bone health, especially for ladies, is important. When my wife was a Radiographer she used to describe the first frost of winter as "Colles fracture weather".
  • Need2Exerc1se
    sijomial wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Agree - depends on volume of riding, years riding age, type of riding etc etc.
    An elite long distance road rider with very low body mass with years of riding under their belt is going to have a very different issue compared to a recreational mountain biker or sprinter for example.

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/why-cycling-is-bad-for-bone-density-and-how-you-can-improve-it/

Bone health, especially for ladies, is important. When my wife was a Radiographer she used to describe the first frost of winter as "Colles fracture weather".

It is odd the things that affect bone. I attended a seminar on osteoporosis once and they said that walking up stairs does little for bone health but walking down stairs does. They also said the very best thing for bone health is jumping.
This discussion has been closed.