Where/How did you meet your SO?

Options

Replies

• ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I met him when I was 16 or 17 - he was my younger brother's good friend, and my brother's girlfriend (now wife)'s brother. He was a young dork that I ignored most of the time, or tormented if I was bored, since he was a shy geek and I was a loudmouth overly-confident jerk! :laugh: He and my brother are a few years younger than I am.

My brother continued dating his sister all through school, so he was around here and there, but I moved out and got married, etc. That marriage didn't work out (I married a loud-mouth overly-confident jerk - turns out there can only be ONE of those in a relationship for it to work out :wink:!!) and nudged me into a bitter state where I pretty much swore off relationships forever.

I knew he had a "thing" for me, but was also terrified of me, so when we'd all drink together, I'd go out of my way to make him uncomfortable...much to the dismay of his then-girlfriend, who I happened to despise! I would flirt shamelessly and hit on him until he could take no more and would go hide somewhere or leave altogether. Our friends and families thought it funny and it would keep me entertained for the evening.

We were always pretty friendly and the "make him squirm" game was only a drinking game, of sorts. I really did think he was a real fine dude and when his girl was doing him dirty, I talked with him about it and told him that he was better than that, etc. etc. They split and a few months later he asked my brother for my number. It took him a good few days to work up the nerve to call and ask me to dinner, and I almost choked on my chardonnay when he asked, but agreed. It was the MOST AWKWARD DATE EVER. I have no idea why I agreed to go out with him again, but did. The next date was equally weird. It took a few months to feel like I wasn't committing some kind of crime against nature, but couldn't be happier that I did!! We've been married four years and have added two children to the family! :heart:
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    over icq, yeah... icq... anyone even remember that? lol
    9yrs strong
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    over icq, yeah... icq... anyone even remember that? lol
    9yrs strong

OMGarsh!! I'd forgotten all about ICQ!!
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    On line dating site. She told me all she wanted was to go out and have some fun. Didnt ever want to get married again. She even dumped me a week before christmas, by text . 3 weeks later I took her out to help mend her broken heart, the rest is history.
  • IamRoJ
    IamRoJ Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    We were on a double date...with other people! Still remember seeing him for the first time at Gotham...*swoon*
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    At work but we Didnt know it til 2 years later.
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I met mine in elementary school, and we started dating in high school :love:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    In a chat room, online :laugh:

Seriously.

We flirted and stuff and the next day, he posted some romantic babble on the site's forum for me. A few months later, the community was being dissolved and everyone was saying goodbye, so we swapped phone numbers. Four months later, he flew across country to meet me, on Valentines Day of 2003. We've been living together ever since, barring the month it took him to wrap up his business across country. We also have a darling 6 yr old daughter together.

Being the internet peeps that we are, we also game together...Everquest and Wow and just about every other top MMORPG that has been released in the last 8 years.
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    He moved into the house next door when he was 5 years old... 16 years later, we became engaged and had a baby together.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 my friend Misty and her friend Sarah set me up with my now husband. We met on Friday November 8th 2002 and started dating the next day.....almost 9years later weve been married for 5years and have a beautiful little princess who will be 3 in november!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    met at college. she caught my eye first semester freshman year in a public speaking course. didn't ask her out til the following summer. never been apart now 8 years later.
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    He was parked on the side of the road with a bunch of his friends. He had a nice truck... What can I say :bigsmile:
    I stopped cuz I had some friends with me too. He got my phone #.. Been together for 15 years.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    we met in a bar called the Electric Cowboy in 1998 (kinda Bud & Sissy style lol). Both of us were just coming out of divorces so we called it quits after a couple of months. Too much baggage. We went our separate ways and in 2000 started dating again and have been together ever since. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary in 10 days. I cant wait for the next 10.

As a matter of fact he legally adopted my daughter in 2004 and together we have a son. Life is grand at the boomboom palace!

In Arkansas?? My husband and I met at the EC too...in 2003!! :love:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I met mine online at a local dating site that no longer exists. It was a super cheesy site and the day I was going to close out my (free) account, I had a message that wasn't disgustingly repulsive and was actually nice, not at all dirty, so I responded to him. We messaged back and forth for a bit before he asked if it was too forward to ask for my number. We talked all night long, until it was time for me to get ready for work the next morning and have been together ever since. :happy:

Awww! Wow, sounds like you guys have great timing:smile:

meant to be... ;) Oh, and we've been married for almost 2 years (October 23rd). :heart:
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    we met in a bar called the Electric Cowboy in 1998 (kinda Bud & Sissy style lol). Both of us were just coming out of divorces so we called it quits after a couple of months. Too much baggage. We went our separate ways and in 2000 started dating again and have been together ever since. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary in 10 days. I cant wait for the next 10.

As a matter of fact he legally adopted my daughter in 2004 and together we have a son. Life is grand at the boomboom palace!

In Arkansas?? My husband and I met at the EC too...in 2003!! :love:

Disregard my PM lol no it was in fort worth. thats too funny!
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Match.com ... seriously! On Match you can look at people who have viewed your profile. Anyway looking at my views I saw him in the list, thought he was super cute but was younger than I had wanted to go as I was 23 and he was only 20 (and I didn't really want someone who couldn't go to bars with me, etc). Anyway after about a week of going back to look at his profile almost daily I finally "winked" at him. He messaged me back.. we messaged back and forth for like a week and then met for dinner. Been together since. Apparently he also thought I was super hot, but he wasn't in the age category I'd listed so didn't even bother to message me. Luckily I finally initiated it!! That was November 2008, we got engaged in March 2010 and got married on June 19, 2010. Been married just over a year and are super happy!
    On the very first date we actually discussed a ton of things including marriage.. he swore up and down there was no way he was getting married before he was 25 (and didn't think anyone else should either)... as the months wore on he'd casually mention something about how oh it would be ok to be married at 22-23 if they'd lived together awhile, etc. A couple months later he was like well if they'd dated all through HS and lived together at least 6 months then yeah I could see getting married under 21. I finally one day was like, "you realize the longer we date the lower your "ok marriage age" gets?" He laughed and said yes he'd noticed. We got married 10 days after he turned 22 (at least I was 25 LOL:laugh: ).
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My sister had a kid to his brother....(messed up family dynamic, i am aware)...and after they (sister and his brother) broke up i'm pretty sure my sister was about to try to date my husband....but he chose me instead :-)
  • highheeldiva01
    highheeldiva01 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    a mutal friend introduced us. then i set my so up with my another friend of mine cuz i was kinda of cing someone else lol less than a year later we were married and have been for 10 years and have 2 daughters 2gether lol
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was 16 and a friend of mine had a huge crush on him and wanted ME to talk to HIM about HER and we ended up going out... sure my friend didn't talk to me for 3 months but I'm so grateful for her introducing us! (We're friends again!) Now 10 years later we have 3 beautiful kids and everyday just keeps getting better!
  • ElizIvory
    ElizIvory Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I met mine through my older brother :)

He was a close friend of his, and I worked my wiles and snagged him my senior year of highschool :)

Got married about a year and a half later and been married JUST a year on the 17th of july :)