Diet Coke, friend or foe?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    So what happens here if I kneel for Diet Pepsi? :D:D:D

At this point, I don't care what others think. I've had it in my diet for over 25+ years and have had no issues. And till I do and knowing it was the reason that caused it................................I'll keep drinking it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    People are so insular on a www site!

It's not just the FDA that regards diet drinks as safe -how many of the FDA equivalents in the c. 195 countries across the world have banned Diet Coke (or similar)?

Balance that against "Ah yes but my Aunty Jane's best friends niece's husband saw a post on Facebook about diabeetus........".

Probably the same reason they haven't banned cigarettes...

Our government is trying to ban e-cigs, and have prohibited the sale of nicotine here in Aus. But they are more than happy to charge 30+ dollars for a pack of 25 cigarettes...

• JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    The all powerful illuminati has quite clearly contaminated the Diet Coke supply of the globe turning us all into obedient lemmings. The obvious exception is our ever-enlightened and benevolent friend in this thread who knows the real truth and is desperately trying to get us to see that Diet Coke is really akin to ingesting a slow acting hallucinogen that was secretly developed by an alien race thousands of years ago to enslave and subjugate mankind.

• valkongr
    valkongr Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Probably a foe on the long run. But I am unable to diet without coke. That's a battle for another day
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    I agree that nothing is 100% safe, yet any time I mention questioning the safety of artificial sweeteners I am told I'm wrong and they have been proven to be completely safe...so what exactly are we debating? Semantics?

Science has proven them to be just as safe as anything else we eat or drink. I haven't seen studies which conclusively prove that tap water is 100% safe under all conditions for everybody everywhere either, but I'm not afraid to drink it when I'm thirsty.

If you look hard enough, you can find tinfoil hat fearmongerers who claim that virtually anything is unsafe or bad for you. If you believe all of them and the "studies" they quote, you'd not only rule out artificial sweeteners, but also all meat (hormones, bacteria, teh cancerz and undigested meat somehow rotting in your gut), milk (pus-filled death in a glass), all carbs (teh insulinz and teh diabeetus), any and every non-organically grown fruit and vegetable (pesticides), tap water (fluoride, industrial pollutants), bottled water (BPAs and generating excess waste products)....the list goes on and on. By the time you get to the point where you're only eating foods which are consensus choices as "100% safe", your options are looking pretty limited.

I guess you'd probably be okay as long as you can subsist off dewdrops you collect from the leaves of plants high atop the Himalayas. I haven't seen anybody call those unsafe yet.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I don't often drink Coke. And I find Diet drinks taste horrible.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    "The debate over artificial sweeteners continues to go on and on"

Umm, no, it doesn't. Debate involves someone actually engaging with the available evidence in a meaningful and discernible way to form a valid counterpoint. Your paranoia and innuendo comes nowhere close to meeting this standard.

I wasn't referring to me debating...I'm simply offering my unscientific opinion. I was referring to the many people in the world who still question it...hence the many threads on MFP on whether it is healthy or not.