Diet Coke, friend or foe?

Options

Replies

• InItToWinIt81
    InItToWinIt81 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I drink one everyday almost......about to drink one as we speak.....keeps me full because I practice Intermittent Fasting. It's not as bad as crossfit, but I have mention it to everyone LOL.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Hi, I am determined to lose all this weight this time. My husband is convinced, from all the internet stuff he reads, that Diet Coke is the most evil of things you can ingest. According to him it will cause all kinds of trouble, from making me gain weight, destroying my pancreas, to bloating my stomach. I love the taste, and feel it is a great sweet treat with no calories.
    What do you all think?
    Diet Cherry Pepsi is better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

True. In order to get it without caffeine, I buy caffeine free diet Pepsi and add a few drops of cherry Kool-Aid flavor drops.

OMG. I actually keep kool-aid flavor drops in my desk at work, in both grape and cherry, because I'm really an 8-year-old in a 40-year-old's body. So I just squirted some of the cherry in my coke zero sugar, and it's amazing. Life-changing.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Buy a soda stream. Literally a life saver and game changer. Not to mention, no more cans and bottles in the landfill or recycle bin. I just carbonate water and add lemon to it, and I haven't craved pop since. I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners, it's not sweet and it makes me crave carbs and sugar and other bad things.
    It's usually the bubbles that make it taste good anyways. Save the environment and end the conversation with your husband. I got mine for under 50 bucks, making it a very sound investment.
  • Calichusetts
    Calichusetts Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I live on diet ginger ale. No calories, no sugar. About 4 a day, then seltzer to fill the rest. I just need something carbonated. Lost a ton and maintained for years.
  • eriksen_ken
    eriksen_ken Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Your friend
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Hi, I am determined to lose all this weight this time. My husband is convinced, from all the internet stuff he reads, that Diet Coke is the most evil of things you can ingest. According to him it will cause all kinds of trouble, from making me gain weight, destroying my pancreas, to bloating my stomach. I love the taste, and feel it is a great sweet treat with no calories.
    What do you all think?

Tell your husband to consider how many millions of gallons of diet coke that have been consumed over the decades it has been available...If it actually caused any of these issues, it would be well documented and people would not buy it. There would be nothing to debate. Also ask how something with zero calories would make you gain weight.

Yah. You may think nothing is wrong when a 3rd of all american adults are obese.
    LMAO oh yeah nothing is wrong

How is drinking diet soda going to lead to obesity? Routinely going over TDEE by overeating & drinking calorific drinks leads to obesity.
  • bweath2
    bweath2 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is my friend...
    Day: Diet Dr. Pepper
    Night: Diet A&W Root Beer (so sweet it's like dessert)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What do you all think?
    Diet Cherry Pepsi is better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

True. In order to get it without caffeine, I buy caffeine free diet Pepsi and add a few drops of cherry Kool-Aid flavor drops.

OMG. I actually keep kool-aid flavor drops in my desk at work, in both grape and cherry, because I'm really an 8-year-old in a 40-year-old's body. So I just squirted some of the cherry in my coke zero sugar, and it's amazing. Life-changing.

This is brilliant! I'm going to have to try it.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Ya know, as an aside...

I wonder what fraction of people who avoid diet beverages because of "chemicals" happily consume drugs which have had less testing and long-term exposure than artificial sweeteners? How about hormonal birth control?
  • bobbigirl83
    bobbigirl83 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    4homer wrote: »
    It's fine. Diet Dr Pepper is where it's at :)
    diet Dr pepper cherry is amazeballs

So much this.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    megpie41 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ToriMalt wrote: »
    No, it's not healthy. It's basically a bunch of chemicals mixed together to be sinfully addictive & wonderful. I'm a believer in real, organic food, but I'm addicted to diet mt dew....I allow myself one a day. We can't be saints. Everything in moderation.

So you didn't bother to read the whole thread?

In particular, this link?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

There is nothing "scientific" about this thread. It is simply one MFP user's long-winded opinion, and because he has a scientific background, and it goes along with the pro artificial sweetener mentality, it gets posted over and over to prove that it is safe. I truly don't understand how this thread is "scientific" and articles that get posted against artificial sweeteners are all "unscientific"?

Which part of the structure of aspartyl-phenylalanine methol described in the first post of that thread do you feel is an "opnion"? Are we really going to say that the structure of a molecule is an opnion now?

He clearly states at the beginning of his post it is why he "personally believes" it is safe:

"Wanted to clear some things up about aspartame if I could just to explain why I personally believe there is absolutely no reason to fear aspartame."

I'm not arguing the structure...I'm arguing what it all means.

I've read his post and I see he cited sources, only problem is those sources no longer exist (except for the first one), so one cannot exactly view the source.

I'm not saying he is wrong. He very well could be right, but it cannot be said for certain that artificial sweeteners are harmless, just in the same way I cannot say for certain that they are harmful. There are studies that are in favor of both sides. That is the point I'm trying to make...there is no definitive safe or harmful verdict. Could they be safe? Yes. Could they be harmful? Yes. Obviously the jury is still out because studies are still being done on the subject.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    ToriMalt wrote: »
    No, it's not healthy. It's basically a bunch of chemicals mixed together to be sinfully addictive & wonderful. I'm a believer in real, organic food, but I'm addicted to diet mt dew....I allow myself one a day. We can't be saints. Everything in moderation.

So you didn't bother to read the whole thread?

In particular, this link?
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary

There is nothing "scientific" about this thread. It is simply one MFP user's long-winded opinion, and because he has a scientific background, and it goes along with the pro artificial sweetener mentality, it gets posted over and over to prove that it is safe. I truly don't understand how this thread is "scientific" and articles that get posted against artificial sweeteners are all "unscientific"?

Which part of the structure of aspartyl-phenylalanine methol described in the first post of that thread do you feel is an "opnion"? Are we really going to say that the structure of a molecule is an opnion now?

He clearly states at the beginning of his post it is why he "personally believes" it is safe:

"Wanted to clear some things up about aspartame if I could just to explain why I personally believe there is absolutely no reason to fear aspartame."

I'm not arguing the structure...I'm arguing what it all means.

I've read his post and I see he cited sources, only problem is those sources no longer exist (except for the first one), so one cannot exactly view the source.

I'm not saying he is wrong. He very well could be right, but it cannot be said for certain that artificial sweeteners are harmless, just in the same way I cannot say for certain that they are harmful. There are studies that are in favor of both sides. That is the point I'm trying to make...there is no definitive safe or harmful verdict. Could they be safe? Yes. Could they be harmful? Yes. Obviously the jury is still out because studies are still being done on the subject.

You don't know how science works. The scientific consensus on aspartame, internationally, is that it is safe.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2013.3496/epdf