Fit For Future Families - August 2011

Options
jalara
jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
Welcome everyone!

This group is being started to lend support and motivation to those who are TTC, or plan to TTC. This group blossomed from another group (Pregnancy - 2011).

Fit For Families is NOT for pregnant women, I would ask that you join one of our sister groups, (they're really great there!!).

For people looking for general pregnancy support and not wanting to gain too much: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305078-pregnancy-august-2011
For people who are VERY active and want to maintain that level while pregnant: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305268-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-august-2011

This group is very goal-oriented (no matter what your goals are) and I hope will be a place for you to come share your story and track your progress.

Check in will be each Monday to keep us accountable over the weekend. Each week we set our own fitness or health goals, and the more suggestions the better!

I love this group!

Welcome one and all!

Link to our last thread:http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279044-fit-for-future-families-july-2011?page=13

Replies

• AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Monday and august 1st weigh in 150...

I am basically starting over for the 6th time since my husband deployed and I'm getting down to the wire! So I've decided to set my goals for the next month! (which is how long I have left until I leave for hawaii!)

1. Drink 80-100oz of water a day (water and I have a love hate relationship only bc I hate getting up to pee at 2am!)
    2. Walk/jog everyday (including weekends) for an hour...(which is hard for me BC I rarely have an hour to spare in my day)
    3. Stretch/planks/push ups everyday for 15min.
    4. STICK to my good eating plan that has started as of today!

Hoping to be AT LEAST 10lbs lighter and much toner than I am now by the time I leave for Hawaii in 29days...NO EXCUSES!
  • cdevine10
    cdevine10 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • aimeeclaire
    aimeeclaire Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Jalara - Hugs to you! Hoping this month is THE month.

Alisa - Great goals. I think I am going to try the same ones!!

Happy August everyone! :)
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is doing well today. This is the first big week for me and DH officially TTC baby #2. I've started using an ovulation kit the past couple of days - can't wait for that dark pink line! I'm continuing to track my intake and exercise and eat very healthily (choking down that morning smoothie to get in my fruits!), and I hope to lose some more weight while starting on this TTC adventure. I would love to be out of the obese category before getting PG, but that's about 20 lbs away.

Here's to the start of a brand-new month!
  • sdavisneill
    sdavisneill Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Wow, so much activity while I've been gone this week!! It's been a bit of a roller coaster for me too the past few days. I'll fill y'all in and then I'll just have to start fresh with everyone on the new thread, sorry I can't comment individually.

This week's weigh in:

MFP SW (March 2011): 211
    Calendar week 27: 181.4 (-2.0)
    Calendar week 28: 179.6 (-1.8)
    Calendar week 29: 178.6 (-1.0)
    Calendar week 30: 178.8 (+0.2)
    Calendar week 31: 179.8 (+1.0)

I'm really thrilled that after our decadent Hawaii vacation I'm only up 1 lb. The trip was amazing, our friends' wedding was beautiful, and we did do a lot of active stuff but still got in plenty of relaxing! Just the way a vacation is supposed to be!

Unfortunately, I came back to chaos. First, there were some layoffs at my job last week. I knew they were going to happen before I left, but it still didn't make it easier to work through all the changes with the people remaining. And then, the worst of the worst, one of my employees died unexpectedly over the weekend. She had been in the hospital, but was released last week with a good prognosis. We think she just had a heart attack and died suddenly. Obviously the team is in quite a state of shock. I'm dealing through it all, but it is not easy. Positive thoughts of strength are appreciated!

My goal this week is to get back on my plan - food & exercise goals. I think it is even more important with the emotional stress going on in the background.

Anyway, it is good to be back on the board; y'all are such a source of inspiration. Thanks!!

:flowerforyou: Stephanie
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi! I hope you don't mind me jumping in. My name is Kimberly, and I have a 19 month old daughter. I gained a lot of weight with her, and losing my pregnancy weight has been a slow process. I'm almost there, but I was 15 or so lbs overweight when I got pregnant. Ideally I would like to be at or very near my goal weight before we ttc again, which will be next spring, probably.

If you don't mind, I would love to join you for the motivation and support. An best wishes to all who are actively TTC!

Goals for this week:
    64 oz water/day
    Workout 3x (increase my time to 40-45 min each session)
    stay on track w/eating even though we'll have out of town guests

I was down 0.2 lb today...not much, but last week was my period, so I'm just happy to not have a gain!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Last week was a terrible week for me. A) I was on my period - BOO! B) I'm stressed out because I have to take a big test for work. C) I ate too much because I was stressed out and gained 6 pounds - in one week! Ay, yay, yay!

BUT, this is a new week, new month - and the beat goes on. Somehow over the weekend I lost 4 pounds. How is that possible????? To gain 6 in a week and then drop 4 in 3 days. I just don't get it...but I'm happy it went!

My goals for this week are to exercise every day (Sunday is my day off of exercise), drink 128 ounces of water per day, and stay within my calorie limits every day (even on the weekend!).

Hope you all have a great week! Be good and stay focused! :flowerforyou:
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the new thread, Jalara!

One pound from Hawaii?!? That is fabulous! Hugs as you wade through the reorganization carnage at work, Shannon.

Welcome to the newbies---may your stay with us here be very short. Haha.

Day One of the 2WW. At the most, only 13 more days to go---but who's counting? Hahaaaaaaaaaaaa.......AAAhhhhhhhhhh.....sigh. I've decided that I'm exercising every day during this 2ww. I've got to do everything I can to keep the positive energy up. I'm only doing 30 minutes of walking stuff, but hopefully if I'm consistent it'll get me back into a pattern. Pro for the day: I ate pretty good today....Con: ..Until my hubby found an previously forgotten Klondike Bar in the freezer. "What would you do for a Klondike Barrrrr?" I didn't do much....except eat it! Luckily for us both he made me share it.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    THanks Jalara - checking in :)
  • jsmith2377
    jsmith2377 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday all! This is the final month for bc for me! I am super excited to finally be taking one less pill each night. I take prenatals as well as a fish oil as well. I just recently read that they may reduce infant colds when consumed by mom while pregnant. Also, it's probably good for the baby brain. Well, so I've read but man are those big pills to swallow. Does anyone else take them?
    I started back to work today and after a 4:45 start I am bushed. Hopefully I will sleep a little better tonight.
    Hoping to lose one to two pounds this week since I am back at work and snacks are minimal. Hope everything is gong well.
    Jalara I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you have a better week.
  • rhondaredhead
    rhondaredhead Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just trying to keep up and start to get to know a few people... :)

Alisa, those are great goals! Don't know if you're interested, but this challenge might motivate your walking goals: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305606-august-miles-challenge

I've been doing that challenge the past two months, have ended up with some amazing teammates, and they push me to go further and get better every day. Love it! There are teams looking for people and people looking for teams, so plenty of room.

MadBaby'sMomma, good luck this month! Our first month trying for baby #2, too...

Everyone else, happy Tuesday!
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday all! This is the final month for bc for me! I am super excited to finally be taking one less pill each night. I take prenatals as well as a fish oil as well. I just recently read that they may reduce infant colds when consumed by mom while pregnant. Also, it's probably good for the baby brain. Well, so I've read but man are those big pills to swallow. Does anyone else take them?
    I started back to work today and after a 4:45 start I am bushed. Hopefully I will sleep a little better tonight.
    Hoping to lose one to two pounds this week since I am back at work and snacks are minimal. Hope everything is gong well.
    Jalara I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you have a better week.

I took some fish oil supplements when I was pregnant with my first...they actually came with my prenatal vitamins. I didn't keep taking them, because I had horrible, horrible morning sickness for about 6 months, and I just couldn't stomach them. Right now I'm taking a gummy prenatal vitamin that has DHA from fish oil. They are easier on the stomach, in my opinion. They do have folic acid, but no calcium or iron. But I prefer that. I did not need the iron last time around, and would prefer taking it separately if I do need it. And I'd rather take calcium separately, too. Anyway, that's what I'm doing.
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    Well, yesterday wasn't a complete bust but I wouldn't call it an epic success. I had to take my BFF to the airport before work so we were up at 5am after being up until midnight the night before. I realized after we left that i had forgotten my lunch. But i made a hood choice and went to Panera and got their strawberry chicken salad. Tons of fruit abd grilled chicken and i only used a tiny bit of dressing. I had every intention of walking/jogging whn i got home from work last night but i was EXHAUSTED! I ended up going to bed at 8:30pm and just folded a bunch of laundry in between dinner and bed. The successes were this: I stayed within my calorie goal (and to the food structure plan which in it of itself was tough BC u can't eat after 7 unless its like celery and no desserts for the first 2 weeks....so at like 730 I was crying to my friend about how bad I wanted a WW cookie crumb ice cream bar thing...) 2 nf success was I met my water goal! I drank 3 24oz water bottles plus a glass of water w dinner! So I was at 88oz for the day!
    Not walking tonight BC I worked out w my trainer. Plus I've decided that it is just WAY too hot (8pm it was still 95 outside) so I'm going to get up and walk/jog in the morning! Tonight I'm sanding my hutch so I can prime and paint it!
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    Oh! I forgot to put that my pill intake everynighy is: 2 fish oil capsules, a prenatal vitamin (taking them at night REALLY makes a difference!) and an additional folic acid supplement :-)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    okay, according to the ultrasound i had this morning, i ovulated last week, not july 9th/10th like the opt (ovulation predictor test) said. (they could tell because of the size of the collapsing follicle on my left ovary.) what in the world? i got some bloodwork done to track my progesterone levels but i won't know anything until tomorrow. i am curious why they are tracking progesterone levels instead of hcg levels but i forgot to ask.

can someone help me figure out the math? how many days is my luteal phase? how many days does that make my cycle length (first day of last period was june 27)? i think the first day of my 'missed' period would be august 7th if the traditional ovulation-to-menstruation timing is correct.

hubby and i only made love once last week, so the chance of a pregnancy is super small. i hate being given a shred of hope again after coming to the conclusion i had to wait until october. grrr! why is this happening? stupid, stupid hormones!
  • AlisaToth
    Options
    Luteal phase is ***normally*** about 10-14 days...so if u ovulated then AF should arrive next week sometime (as ur calculations came up w too) they're probably checking progesterone to make sure there us not a deficiency in that area since they can tell u ovulate...? But! Here is the glimmer of hope for you...it only takes one sperm to get preggo! So keep ur chin up! It's not over until AF Shows up!
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    So yesterday was AWFULL! I ate like a pig! I must have eaten three days worth of calories and all of it was in salt! I normally cheat here and there, but yesterday was an entire different story! I’m not sure why I was craving salt so bad, especially since I usually crave sugar at this time of my cycle (today is CD28). I’m hopping that the 3lbs gain from yesterday morning was all water! Today I’m drinking water like crazy and I attempted a workout class during my lunch hour but that didn’t work so well either. Last Friday I banged my toenail on the gym locker and it has been sensitive ever since. For the rest of Friday all most of Saturday I couldn’t put pressure on the toe, now I just can’t on the toenail itself. I was so worried I was gonna loose it too! So today’s class had a lot of balance moves and its really hard to balance on one leg without using your big toe! Thankfully I don’t need my toe to kayak cause that’s what I had planned for last Saturday and I’m going out again for another two days next week! I need to get those three lbs back off!

What brand of fish oil do you girls use? I just take my pre-natals.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I use the One-A-Day brand prenatal vitamins, and it comes with a fish oil supplement. So far I've had good luck with it. My doctor gave me a ton of samples to try out and see which one I liked - ended up liking the over-the-counter brand better.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. :laugh: Do women need to limit their caffeine intake while TTC or only once pregnant? If yes to while TTC, how much is a safe recommended daily allowance? Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    So just quick because I'm exhausted, but appt. went okay today. Basically all my results are good. I have a few more things to run before the next cycle starts....mostly another swab, etc. But they have the basis for the ovary stimulation (my AHM # was pretty good, but that's typically the case with PCOS women). We'd left a bunch of papers at home, so hubs is going to call them in and have the next appt set up for end of August, when we officially start....Yippee!!