What Other Factors (Besides Nutrition) Help You Succeed?

Options

Replies

• khronicuk
    khronicuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Fitness Industry portrayed in the Media really slants the truth of calorie in vs calorie out. Simply if you can keep a sustainable diet with any type of caloric deficit you will lose!

My Nursing Studies have really helped me focus on what matters.

The key to maintaining for me was to getting a strong foundation of Nutrition. While I am nowhere near my goal, I know I will achieve it if I stick to the simple principles and acknowledge good days come with the bad.
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Community has been key for me. I have found insight from other members as well received words of caution MFP friends who don't want to see me make bad decisions. The apps integration also is a big help, my ability track nutritional value and set goals based on percentage cars, fat protein calories. Great program. I recommend it to anyone watching their consumption.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Knowledge.
    Water.
    A few supplements (for energy, to get through a particularly grueling (or 10) workouts).
    Motivation/something to look forward to.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    1. I started working in retail part time. Lost about 5 lbs in the matter of a few weeks. Once that came off I was hooked to try and eat healthier and lose more weight.
    2. Drinking water. I like soda and still drink it but don't over do it. Get a bottle and instead of drinking all of it, drink half of it. Save the rest for the next day.
    3. Counting calories. Eating bananas are a staple, I've noticed my belly fat is extremely reduced when I eat bananas.
    4. As a college student saving money, I'm just now realizing how precious money is and willing to save it from fast food.
    5. Get yourself that sexy pair of underwear.
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

Get yourself that sexy pair of underwear.
    ^^
    But with me it was a sexy dress I break out for date nights with my husband. He calls me his eye candy and says I make him look like a slob (but with a grin on his face) lol
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I've been on LCHF diet for 20 wks. The weight is slow to come off, but I remain totally committed to the diet. The main reason is the results of my lab test taken at 14 wks. My doctor could not believe them. I think she was more excited than I was. I had been eating lots of saturated fat, very few carbs (under 20 grams a day) and moderate amounts of protein for over 3 months. My cholesterol was at an all time low, except HDL which was an all time high! I was no longer newly diabetic, or even pre-diabetic. My advice is to find a healthy diet and get some blood tests, the best incentive ever. Good luck.

I assume you meant to say "not eating lots of saturated fat"???
  • MelissaSheklian
    MelissaSheklian Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Keeping records- track food on MFP, workouts and measurements in my fitness journal. Also having support, reading the threads and seeing my friends on MFP that are working hard too because sometimes you need some external motivation to keep going
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Knowledge gained through experience, but also from the input of lots of great members of this community. I was an awfully confused individual about how this works in those early months.

CICO was the most liberating aspect. So eating the foods I love within my calorie limit. It made my life so much easier when I realized I did not have to be some whole foods junkie to lose the weight.

At the end of the day, I got to where I am from sheer determination and force of will. You have to be willing to tolerate lots of adversity and ebb and flow to get to the finish line, which explains why the rate of attrition is so high.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    appetite correction and new habits formed by listening to my body's needs rather than what I think it wants
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm not quite a success yet - but definitely more successful than I've been so far. And the difference this time (as many people have said), is going easier on myself and not letting a bad day/weekend/week be the end of it all.

I've lost 12kgs over the six months, 3kgs (almost 7lbs) in the last month and I have had a couple of heavy weekends, TOM carb cravings and general binges in there. The difference is that in my many, many, many previous attempts at this, just one of those events would have derailed me completely. But each time I have gotten back on the wagon and started logging again.

Oh and I tend to shoot for a daily calorie intake of around 200 under my TDEE-20%, as it gives me a buffer for my not so good days and inaccurate calorie logging. This is one that I've tweaked so that it works for me and my lifestyle, but might not be for everyone.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Clean eating. Just started to leave the sugary drinks and eating at home. I wanted to lose weight but I took my time and research.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    That I can eat anything I want just not huge portions... and that seconds, thirds are not always in my best interests.
    Water. Water. Water.
    If I stumble along the way, just log it, and move onto the next day.
    That what works for another may not work for me. I am unique and I embrace that knowledge everyday.
    Water.Water.Water.
    The mirror is a friend, so is the scale. Even if I don't like what I see, I have the power to change it.
    Change your thoughts, change your life.
    Water.Water.Water.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Looking at before and after photos really helps motivate me! I spend a lot of time looking at the success stories here and googling before and after photos. It makes me want to try even harder because I know if they can do it I can too.

Also taking “active rest days” has been a real game changer for me. In the past when I would take a full rest day and just not work out at all I would get out of the routine and often just give up or get lazy and quit! Now I make sure to do something every day. On my “rest days” I do yoga or something similar. It really helps keep me in the routine of working out.

Also I’m sure most people on mfp hate this but I no longer calorie count. I eat a high carb plant based diet and I eat until I’m full. I only use mfp now for tracking work outs and the community.
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Forcing myself to love the process..
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    consistency, discipline, doing "x" even when you don't want to or "feel like it"
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Looking at before and after photos really helps motivate me! I spend a lot of time looking at the success stories here and googling before and after photos. It makes me want to try even harder because I know if they can do it I can too.

Also taking “active rest days” has been a real game changer for me. In the past when I would take a full rest day and just not work out at all I would get out of the routine and often just give up or get lazy and quit! Now I make sure to do something every day. On my “rest days” I do yoga or something similar. It really helps keep me in the routine of working out.

Also I’m sure most people on mfp hate this but I no longer calorie count. I eat a high carb plant based diet and I eat until I’m full. I only use mfp now for tracking work outs and the community.

I love active recovery days as well, keeps me fully engaged in my training.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!