Diet Sodas?

Options

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I read that Zevia brand sodas are a good sub for "diet" sodas. Still 0 calories but without the chemicals and supposedly cancer-causing sweeteners. Honestly, your best bet if you're into the whole chemical-avoidance thing is water.

Sorry, but water is also a chemical (H2O) and if you are drinking from the tap chances are there will be chlorine and fluoride in the water (if you are in the US).

ETA: I do enjoy the black cherry Zevia though :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes, they are bad for you.
    No, they are not bad for you.

Depends on how you are looking at them. Chemicals and fake sugars are never as good as all natural.. Zero calories won't make you gain weight though. And the chances of cancer? Negligible.
    But anything "natural" is chemically bonded at the molecular level. When people talk of chemicals, they speak of artificial, but artificial isn't really "bad" in anyway unless there's a health issue with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I disagree. You can believe how you like and I will continue to believe that God doesn't make mistakes, but man fouls everything up daily. Artificial in my book will always be "not good for you." You may have to drink 100 cans a day for a month to develop major health risks because the amount of aspartame per serving is negligible, and frankly I don't find that enough of a threat to stop partaking once in awhile myself, but that doesn't take away from the truth that artificial is never as good as natural.

Just because it's natural, doesn't make it's good for you either; just look at arsenic, lead, mercury.... look at potassium, magnesium and more. All natural, all can kill you at certain dosages.

Aspartame is a dipeptide of two naturally occurring amino acids. So yes, while aspartame itself isn't a natural element, it is made of two natural occurring proteins.

And in all honesty, of all of the things that can worsen my health, Aspartame is not one of them.

ETA: 50lbs down all while consuming 40 to 60oz of diet dew a day + 120 to 150oz of water a day as well. All metabolic markers improved. No cravings along the way.

Technically the dipeptide occurs naturally as well, but aspartame has a modified carboxylic termini in the form of a methylation of the ester.

Methylesters are hydrolytically labile though and will quickly be metabolized into methanol (natural) and the aspartyl-phenylalanine dipeptide (also natural).

On a side note humans operate within nature, we are not supernatural and our actions are not supernatural therefore our creations are not supernatural. The processes we employ to create are naturally occurring processes.

The distinction between a molecule purified from a plant (natural) and a molecule created via a process (be it chemical reaction or bacterial synthesis both of which are natural processes) is honestly rather arbitrary and has no bearing on safety or efficacy of said product.

That was really geeky and I don't understand a word of it but you're my favorite, now. :smiley:

Hmm well I'll think on how better to present that then, thanks. Over a beer it'd be easy, in text it's hard not to end up sounding like a book.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have a diet soda twice a day, so there's nothing wrong with them.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I am so confused with all the diet soda threads ongoing right now. I can't keep up, between Diet Soda is evil and keto is AHMAYZING...

Was it a slow week for news stories so the media is pulling in woo and diet fads to keep things going? Maybe tired of reporting on all the political nonsense so they go with health nonsense instead?

I’m waiting for inevitable “Help me! I’ve put on 5lbs after doing a Dr Pepper cleanse” thread.

Is that regular, or diet?