WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Lanette, Tony had a great checkup. While waiting I did find a tick on him. I'm always so careful to check our pets so was surprised to find it. Just looked down at him and saw it right below his left ear. Vet took it off for us. I'm the tick remover in the family as they freak my husband out. The joys of living in the woods. I attached a pic of Tony. Hopefully this shows right side up. I'll try to send some more fall pics.

Karen, cheetos with dip are my all time favorite comfort foods. Haven't had any since May but glance at them every time I'm at the store.

Barbie, hope your bone scan is fine. I hate waiting for test results.

Both feet have been bothering me the last few days. I think it may be because of all the walking I did on Saturday while shopping with DD.

Well time for bed and and my book. I read every night from about 8 to 11. Favorite time of the day. Day is over, nothing left to do, all by myself before DH comes to bed. Aahhh peace and quiet.

Terry
  • optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    This is a cool thread. Feel free to add me. I've always got along well with sweet ladies. Keep it up gals!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Lanette, Tony had a great checkup. While waiting I did find a tick on him. I'm always so careful to check our pets so was surprised to find it. Just looked down at him and saw it right below his left ear. Vet took it off for us. I'm the tick remover in the family as they freak my husband out. The joys of living in the woods. I attached a pic of Tony. Hopefully this shows right side up. I'll try to send some more fall pics.

Karen, cheetos with dip are my all time favorite comfort foods. Haven't had any since May but glance at them every time I'm at the store.

Barbie, hope your bone scan is fine. I hate waiting for test results.

Both feet have been bothering me the last few days. I think it may be because of all the walking I did on Saturday while shopping with DD.

Well time for bed and and my book. I read every night from about 8 to 11. Favorite time of the day. Day is over, nothing left to do, all by myself before DH comes to bed. Aahhh peace and quiet.

Terry

Terry- Tony is one sharp looking dude! Rat Terrier? I can't tell how big he is. When I was a kid we had rat terriers on the farm... and they lived up to their name, lol.

Sorry to hear about that tick. We don't seem to have them out here, thank goodness!

Lanette
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr workout on the bosu today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the deep water class.

Welcome everyone new! That's you katrss And you birdiepeeps. We're so glad to have you.

Joyce - I'm not sure I could make ornaments like Janet, either. Too tedious. Yet, some things I don't mind tedious. I just don't think I could do it. I certainly don't have the imagination to design them, that's for sure. How nice of you to go see your friend, I'm sure he's very concerned

M - was there a specific reason you decided to study Spanish or just for the knowledge? Good luck to you both.

KJ - A while ago Mary suggested to me that when I do my plank, I add a minute or so and eventually I will get my time up. It's worked!

KJ- I don't think much of botox unless you have a medical need for it (migraines, disfigurement, etc). To me, what you see is what you get. If God had wanted me any different, He would have made me that way.

Had a chin wax (never had one before, never even knew there was such a thing) for Denise's wedding and a brow tint (never knew that existed, either). I figure the day before we leave I'll go get a mani/pedi. I really wanted it done by the local college students, but they're not doing anything until after their semester so nothing from them until Jan. Another reason is because it's cheaper (I told you I was a cheapskate <about some things>). Got a sweater at the Salvation Army yesterday that will match my gown. Hey, why spend lots of money on a sweater that I'll probably wear only once and really no one will see?

Mary - welcome back home!

Allie - I love reading about how happy you are right now. It will only get better and better.

Went to Rummikub tonight. Just had cheddar cheese and some of the hummus veggie bites I took. Only water to drink. I was surprised they broke up so early, but that's OK

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.49min, 145mhr, 11.4amph. 1.4mi= 80c
    apple watch- 59c
    ELIPTICAL- 54min, 3incl, 3resist 143mhr, 5.41mi= 424c
    apple watch- 467c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.15min, 14amph, 127mhr, 1.4mi= 57c
    appple watch- 47c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 18.31min, 138mhr, 9.9amph, 3mi= 155c
    apple watch- 105c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.28min, 147mhr, 10.36min mi, .5mi= 56c
    apple watch- 53c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.14min, 9.57min mi, 150mhr, .5mi = 70c
    apple watch- 68c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.42min, 7.3amph, 152mhr, WINDY!!!! 2.5mi = 200c
    apple watch- 130c

total cal 1047
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Lanette, yes he is a rat terrier. About the size of a big cat but the cats catch more mice than he does. :D
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Twilight time here – it’s so nice to just unwind at the end of the day.

KJ – There might be a minor procedure or two I’d go for if money weren’t an object, but I don’t see the point in trying to turn back the clock. I wouldn’t mind getting rid of my little double chin – I’ve had it since I was a baby, and it’s always bothered me. You’re right, some of those Hollywood women looked better natural. As for the critters, I do love them. Kiki is kind of like a fluffy pink buzz saw… she’s fearless, and even the dogs run from her. But she’s really sweet and she has the most adorable little pink cartoon voice. And Six – the moody one – was banded with the number six at the breeder even though she was the fifth hatchling. The breeder just ran out of number 5 leg bands. So Six is officially Six of Five.

Meg – I’m in Taylor, just northeast of Austin. My family are in Houston, and most of our friends are in Houston, Austin, or College Station.

Fanncy – That’s a beautiful shepherd!

Lanette – I think I’m going to have to kick Philip out of the house before I can get his studio space painted. Or maybe I’ll just wake up one morning and tell him to put on his scrubby clothes because we’re going to paint! I get it that he wants to spend his spare time relaxing after commuting back and forth to Austin, but it’s hard work to be self employed. If he's serious about setting up a practice here and ending the commute, then he’s going to have to make some sacrifices.

Karen – My sympathies! I love Cheetos. Fritos, too. Can’t eat just one. I’m sure in the overall scheme of things it was just a blip on the radar!

Rita – Have you ever been down in southwest New Mexico, like Lordsburg and Glenwood? It’s gorgeous. There’s a really cool camping spot down that way called City of Rocks. There are all these huge natural obelisks. I like Valley of Fires too… almost like a lunar landscape!

I've done my best to make up for my dietary sins this weekend. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow. I've been stalled and need to start making downward progress again!

Hope you’re all safe and snug.

-Yvonne in TX
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Oooo, if a Maine Coon Cat holds his tail straight up; maybe my "Tux" has some MCC in him, too. He holds his tail straight up, with just a hook at the end of it. All the time ... if he is 'up' that tail is also 'up'.

Decided I'd just read for a while and not attempt to comment ... so far behind it isn't even funny.

Lenora
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Cathy, I’m not sure if you need a place to eat between Charleston and Myrtle Beach because it’s only a two hour trip. When you get to Murrells Inlet, there are a ton of restaurants on the Marsh Walk. Especially good if you like seafood. I can’t believe first graders are reading books to you. Wow.

Janetr, if it’s possible,. I think your ornaments are getting prettier and prettier. You go girl!

Joyce, I’m glad to see the kitties are near each other on the sofa.

Heather, I love sparkly shirts too but sure can’t wear a kids size. Tell your DH “Happy Birthday” from me.

Felecia, who is that skinny legged girl in the picture?

Cheri, I knew that was your daughter as soon as I saw the picture. Ya’ll look great!

Chris, so sorry about your cold but glad the medicine helped. Good luck on the job search.

Mary, what a beautiful picture. I hope you are feeling better. I miss you!!! ((Hugs)))

Terry, beautiful ladies, both of you!!!

Margaret, I love your healing tree.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I love all the kitty pics. colorful-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif Hearing all the stories about Nexium and weaning off of it make me feel very lucky. I took it for about 8 or 10 years but after I lost weight I just stopped taking it and had no problems. When I started getting acid reflux my doctor told me that my weight was probably one of the causes.

Remember: If you don’t like where you are, MOVE you’re not a tree.tree-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cosmetic surgery not for me. Before I was 20 years old I’d had 4 major surgeries. I told myself never again unless it was a life-threatening situation. Then an implant in my ear slipped and caused chronic pain and continual ear infections and I decided serious injury or illness was also a good reason for surgery. But that is it. Elective surgery that doesn’t have a direct tie to my health — not gonna even consider it. Nor could I afford it.

But women whose livelihoods depend on their looks? I think it understandable- yet an unfortunate commentary on society at large.

Have I missed an update on Becca’s husband while I’ve been so busy?

fasting This month ( after disappointing weight loss results for about 6 months using calorie restriction based on CICO) I changed my approach and I’m now on the 5:2 fasting protocol. I eat 500 calories on two days a week and approximately maintenance on the other 5 days. I’m very aware this is probably not something many people will think is sustainable, but it feels like such a relief after a miserable 6 months with little to show for the misery.

It is very early on - but I seem to be losing about 1 lb a week, and am only ‘hangry’ on the 2 ‘fast’ days a week. Both of those are vastly better than I was feeling/seeing on 1200ish calories a day, every day - even though the weekly calories are almost identical. For now at least, I’m willing to put up with the hard time on the two days for the incredible freedom I feel being able to eat ‘normally’ the other five yet still seeing over twice the weight loss than I saw the first 6th months since I got my act together.

As always, my personal anecdotal account of 5:2 fasting is not meant to say this is a better way to diet, or even that it might work at all for anyone else. My body is responding very well to it and I am feeling so much better than I was. Since fasting came up in the discussions here I thought I’d share that.

Cin Cin a tutti

Rye

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M - was there a specific reason you decided to study Spanish or just for the knowledge? Good luck to you both.

My husband was considering a job where he would be working with Spanish speaking people in Canada. And yes, we were considering a move back to Canada. So he signed up for the Spanish course.

I like learning languages, so I checked my schedule and discovered that I would have just finished my current uni course ... so I would have the time to take the Spanish course. So I signed up for the Spanish course.

And then plans changed, and it looks like we'll be staying here for a little while longer.

We debated about dropping the course, but then decided to take it anyway.

We have cycled part of the Velodyssey Route: https://www.velodyssey.com/ in 2012. Our bit then went from Bordeaux to the coast where we officially joined the route, and then up to La Rochelle. We loved it so much, that one of our bucket list items is now to cycle the John o' Groats to Land's End route through the UK, and then to get onto the Velodyssey Route which more or less runs down the west coast of France to the border of Spain. And then, who knows ... we might continue along the coast into Spain. :) It's one dream.

Another dream is to go to the language school in Royan to improve my/our French ... and Royan is only about 300 km from Spain, along the Velodyssey route. We'd love to be able to live in/near Royan for several months.

So, with those dreams in mind, we thought we'd go to the Spanish course and get an introduction to Spanish. This is only a basic introduction, nothing in depth, but it should take us from knowing next to no Spanish to being able to greet people and get around a little bit. :)

Right now, Mandarin or Hindi would be more useful to me but if all goes well, I'll get some Mandarin (not sure about the Hindi) in the next couple years.

Machka in Oz
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in. Had a huge squeezing headache yesterday unlike anything I’ve ever felt before. I was at a lay servant class when it hit me. Scared the dickens out of me so had them call 911. EMTs took my blood pressure and it was 165 over 128. They transported me to the ER where they gave me something for nausea, did an MRI and gave me a breathing treatment. I could feel the pain going away during the breathing treatment. They said it was a sudden onset migraine. Took a total pajama day today. I’ve taken one of my prescription pain pills and am falling asleep as I type. I’ll see you guys tomorrow.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    While working today a special ed teacher suggested to a fellow teacher rather than put the child in a time out put the object that is causing the problem in a time out. I tried it with a student who was being disrespectful to his water bottle by kicking it across the room. I said does the water bottle have to have a time out? Time to pick the bottle up and carry it to your desk. It really helped not create a power struggle.

Now I need to give those Twix I bought for Halloween that I opened a time out in a space where I will not eat them. LOL

Terry I think I am ready to start a bonfire with all the leaves that have fallen off the tree lately. LOL

Mary I too mentioned a friend that apple cider vinegar worked for her GERD.

:heart: Margaret
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Mary, cool rock pic! Yes I'm the rock poster, but I haven't really hunted for a bit!

Well ladies, I drove Monday night to the hospital, and had dinner with dear husband. He ordered me the fish dinner, and he had the corn, salad, and brownie. I had driven to the food bank on Monday as well, so I brought two slabs of sourdough bread that I had gotten there. He asked for pats of butter for that. His procedure went fine, however the doctor could only fit two stents in his bile ducts. Back in June she had removed three that were placed in, so his duct has shrunk in size abit. Which probably was the reason for the jaundice issue. This stent will stay in until January. The transplant team are going to have a pow-wow on what to do regarding him in the upcoming weeks. You can't really stent forever, its just dangerous for your innards especially your pancreas! Learning that is one sensitive organ. One option is to have surgery that cuts the connection that has all the scarring, then then use the new liver's bile duct and place that directly to the bowels. Its of course major surgery, and there is a 25% chance of pancreatic issues. Also his abdominal muscle is cut a bit, which makes recovery long and arduous.

The plan of going to Whidbey island, now has some major hiccups. If the doctor decide on stents for the next year, when we could possibly do that at the University medical hospital in Washington. If we do the surgery, then it will be in Portland at OHSU, no question. No moving. Realities are the priorities. We shall take this one day at a time. Hugs ladies!
    Becca
    Driver extreme Goddess
    Ok, must have missed this today, I’m glad to know it has been diagnosed and so sorry it is this serious. Pulling for you on this end! Don’t forget to take care of yourself during this time!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Quick update from me. Courses going fine, all three of them. I'm holding on to my sanity and letting go of some weight. :smiley:

/Penny, in Stockholm, far, far away from the North Pole :cry:
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Sisters, just finished making queens all afternoon. It rained in the morning so I ended up driving into town and taking my daughter and granddaughter out for lunch, to a cafe with a tot playground which little Clara loved. Came home in time to catch the sun and get the hive work done before a strong wind arose. Spent the last half hour pruning a monster rose vine hanging over the fence near the hives that was catching and tearing my bee suit...

Heather I have often thought the same as you when I see kid's clothes with their creative fun patterns and designs and wished that adult sizes could be as Kool. Sometimes I can fit 12 and 14 yrold sizes if they are stretchy.

Machka I am also trying to learn more Spanish in the anticipation of spending my next year's or the year after holiday, walking the Camino de Santiago. I took Spanish as a child so I remember pico (little), but I have found lots of online free games where I can practice the most useful 300 words... My daughter did several "ways" on the Camino and spent 8 weeks walking during her year of teaching English in Spain. I love looking at her photo albums and imagining doing it myself. I have read lots of books about it, and I have my packing list (no more than 16 pounds) and my back pack. Just need a return ticket to Spain and at least 4 weeks off, and somebody to feed the furr family... Might be able to swing all that next year, after we "retire" from the travel agency and start full-time on the bees. July and August are our slow season for bees, so I see no reason not to take advantage and fly to Spain, and make a dream come true. Now, to persuade hubby! (And save up for tickets)

Janet I really admire your bejewelled works of art!

Oh, I do have a week's holiday planned for Nov 9. My husband won us a trip to Vanuatu at the last travel agency conference we went to. I've never been there and I am looking forward to seeing what it is like. Just hope the volcano will settle down before we go. I would like to be at my goal weight before we leave. Will have to buckle down and grit through my sugar cravings! So hard.

Terry I'm not sure I can slow down. My engine is on REV. I do turn into a pumpkin at 9pm every night but I'm bright eyed and bushytailed at 5am. LOL

<3 Wendy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Machka I am also trying to learn more Spanish in the anticipation of spending my next year's or the year after holiday, walking the Camino de Santiago. I took Spanish as a child so I remember pico (little), but I have found lots of online free games where I can practice the most useful 300 words... My daughter did several "ways" on the Camino and spent 8 weeks walking during her year of teaching English in Spain. I love looking at her photo albums and imagining doing it myself. I have read lots of books about it, and I have my packing list (no more than 16 pounds) and my back pack. Just need a return ticket to Spain and at least 4 weeks off, and somebody to feed the furr family... Might be able to swing all that next year, after we "retire" from the travel agency and start full-time on the bees. July and August are our slow season for bees, so I see no reason not to take advantage and fly to Spain, and make a dream come true. Now, to persuade hubby! (And save up for tickets)

Sounds great!!

One tip our instructor gave was to try DuoLingo: https://www.duolingo.com/ and she showed us a bit. I'm very seriously thinking of trying it to build up vocabulary ... and it's not just for Spanish. I see that there are a whole bunch of languages a person could learn, and I'm thinking it might be a good idea for our next trip to Europe. (Hopefully 2019).