All Calories are not created equal!

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    You are right. Not all calories are created equal. Some come from carbs, others from fat, others from protein. Some come from food, others from drinks. But then... they are metabolised and used as energy, which we count in this case as calories.
    Now, let's say they became a calorie. In fact, now they are equal. There are exact rules what a 'calorie' is. They are not treated equal, but that is based on your bodies needs, not in where they came from. After the basic metabolism, your body does not remember how they were created. A calorie from chocolate might be stored if it is not immediately needed. Or it might be used up in an instant. Eventually all of them will be used. Storage is kind of expensive, you know.You have to actually expend calories to move all those stored ones. Same with a calorie from broccoli or a chia seed. At this point it all depends on what your body needs.
    Of course the foods your calories came from are made of different building blocks and thus give your body different prerequisites to work with. Some are metabolised into usable energy faster, some slower. Some bring building blocks that are important at that point, some just bring additional lipids (fats). But all of this will be used or excreted eventually. The calories are not created equal, but they live in a nice world of equality. Don't discriminate them.

You're confusing "calories" with "nutrients". A calorie is a unit of measure, nothing more. A mile can be uphill, downhill, on a paved roadway or a steep, rocky mountainous trail, covered in snow, drenched in rain or baked in desert heat - but no matter what, it's still a mile. If I run it barefoot, drive it in a car or crawl it on my hands and knees over broken glass, it's still a mile. Calories are like that too.

Hah I swear I wrote my comment before I read yours, just happened upon the same analogy you came up with.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,076 Member
    Forget your popcorn, pass the peanut butter cups........

Why not both? :D (I love mixing popcorn, sweets and chocolates together and getting all three in one mouthful!)

Popcorn and chocolate-covered raisins for the win.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    yo how many calories in a human leg? and nutrition facts. I need it for.....reasons... :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    I know everyone is looking at CICO as the golden rule but maybe some people handle carbs better than others? I recently upped my carbs but stayed under my calorie goal every day and really should have lost at least a full pound in the last 10 days but instead maintained (or gained .5 lb depending on which morning weigh in I want to use) I weigh and measure all of my food meticulously so I know Im not eating more than I think. Im having a bit of a nervous breakdown not seeing my expected results. Im dropping my carbs today :)
    If you were low carb eating, depletion of glycogen in your cells is NOT uncommon. By reintroducing carbs back into your system, you also reintroduce more water and glycogen storage. It's common to gain up to 10lbs of glycogen and water storage if you've been on a low/no carb diet for a long period of time.
    Point is, physiologically the human body handles carbs (barring any health issue) pretty much all the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Wrenranae wrote: »
    “It is NOT how many "calories" you eat, but what they are made up of.

What exactly are calories made up of...?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm confused by something. OP's been on MFP since 2010.

It's taken her ten months to lose 16 pounds eating "800" calories a day.

Yeah, those calories aren't created equal to the calories I'm eating alrighty.

But thee forgets it's not the amount of calories you eat that makes you fat ;)

Even then, let's go with the silly premise! If the nutritional quality of her "800" calories has her losing at that rate, I don't want any part of what she's recommending!

Bring on the potatoes!