Have you tried drinking a gallon of water a day?????

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    edited October 2017
    I think how much you drink should probably line up with how much water you're losing from a given day due to sweat and all that. When I'm in a really dry climate, feels like I can't drink enough. I live in Houston and run outside every other day and definitely feel the effects if I don't have a gallon of water on the days I run. However, on the days I don't run I don't need as much. We get a lot of water from the food in our diet as well.

I helped a lot with Hurricane Harvey clean up and that would mean grueling physical work for liek 5-6 hours outside with pants and long sleeve shirt, doing digging and lifting and all that stuff. The first day I remember I drank 200 oz of water and DIDN'T PEE ONCE.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    monae2013 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried drinking a gallon of water a day?!? If so what were your results??????

When I drink water, the results are that I am hydrated. What kind of other results could you expect?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I have a bladder the size of a raisin iv literally drank nothing all day to see what happened and was still peeing uncontrollably every hour or so xD So...no thanks. I drink plenty no need to put a set number to it. If im thirsty i drink.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member

How??? I don't like water. I do drink crystal light though. But how does drinking more water keep water weight off. I'm confused.

Our bodies react the same way to not enough water as they do to not enough calories. Eating too few calories will slow or stop weight loss because the body is being forced to be more efficient on a lessor intake. Drinking too little water also forces the body to retain as much as possible in order to ration it out for regular bodily functions in an equally efficient manner. Fat burning stalls with one, water retention sets in with the other. Not enough is as counter-productive as too much. It's all about your individual sweet spot.

Eating too few calories only stops weight loss when it kills you.
  • NicoleandChris637
    NicoleandChris637 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2017
    I drink about 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. I feel fine. I love water. Your size also determines how much water you should drink. Minimum amount a day is 50% of your body weight.
  • jennordhavn
    jennordhavn Posts: 88 Member
    Heck no, I'd float away....lol. But seriously, I drink about 100 ounces of fluids per day but not all water.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I drink about 1 1/2 gallons of water a day. I feel fine. I love water. Your size also determines how much water you should drink. Minimum amount a day is 50% of your body weight.

I have to drink 90 pounds of water per day? Better get started...

LOL... I actually agree with the 1/2 body weight... but would point out that it's half your body weight(in pounds).. in oz of water, is a good target for total liquid consumption.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    edited October 2017
    monae2013 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried drinking a gallon of water a day?!? If so what were your results??????

Why would I do that? I like to keep my electrolytes in check and available for my heart and other muscles to do their job. I don't want to tax my kidneys either.

If you pee is light yellow then you are hydrated, if you sweat a lot, is hot and you feel thirsty, then drink water. Water is good and needed but overdoing can also kill you.

Edited to add that the amount of water that a person may drink is also related to their size. I am small/petite so I don't drink or need to drink that much water. Besides, I don't keep track of how much a drink. Waste of time for me.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    so 60 pounds of water which is approximately 7 gallons. Got it now. I’m not drinking enough water. Ugh
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    I drink a gallon a day about 4 days a week. I don't do it for a specific reason I'm just a very very thirsty person, but I have noticed it's helped with some water retention because I'm overall more hydrated. I don't realize I'm drinking that much usually and I don't force it. I have a 32oz water bottle that I refill throughout the day starting in the morning and typically by the end of the day I've had 4 full bottles which equals a gallon. However, I dont think it's necessary to drink A gallon if you feel like you're forcing I down. And I will say I did have frequent bathroom breaks but your body does adjust a little bit after a few weeks haha.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Ooh, and then you have to take into account that a USA floz, and subsequent fluid weights, are different than the imperial floz.
    1floz imp = .96floz us.

160 floz imp = 1gal imp
    128floz us = 1gal us.

Drinking water can get so complicated.

Cheers, h.
  • maura_tasi
    Also, I'm pretty sure the drinking 1/2 your body weight in water would be measured in ounces not pounds! So if a person was 200lbs they should consume 100oz of water, not 100lbs because that would be impossible haha.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited October 2017
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    Also, I'm pretty sure the drinking 1/2 your body weight in water would be measured in ounces not pounds! So if a person was 200lbs they should consume 100oz of water, not 100lbs because that would be impossible haha.

But half my body weight in oz is 1920 oz

So, as I said above, you must specify, esp since much of the world uses kilos and liters.

1/2 your body weight in pounds... as ounces...
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi wrote: »

But half my body weight in oz is 1920 oz

That's not what I meant! I mean that for a 200lb person half their weight is 100lbs. So instead of drinking 100lbs of water, they would drink 100oz. I'm not converting the pounds to ounces.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    I don't try, I pretty much do. Yes I go to the bathroom alot, yes I'm pretty "regular", yes I have nice clear, nearly wrinkle-free skin (for a 50 y/o). No it is not necessary to drink that much and I am not able to do it everyday, but most days otherwise I try to get in at least 2 liters.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I have enough problems with my electrolytes as it is. Drinking that much would just spell all kinds of trouble for me.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I drink a lot of coffee, some diet pop, and about 1 liter of water a day. Heat waves and I up that to 1 gallon easy.
  • Vladaar
    Vladaar Posts: 147 Member
    I dont think I quite drink a gallon but close it keeps me from feeling hungry.

Which works well with intermitten fasting. However I could probably drink less since Ive been doing keto the fat gives a fullness feeling.
  • jesheckah
    jesheckah Posts: 33 Member
    I drink easily a gallon a day. I'm 5'0"

I do eat a lot of foods with salt and / or potassium.

But I'm not ALWAYS drinking water. I wake up and drink 1 24 oz bottle. (eat breakfast)
    I do a few hours of work, drink another 24 fl oz bottle (eat lunch)
    I get done with work, drink another 24 fl oz bottle. (eat a snack)
    In about 3-4 hours after that I drink another bottle (eat dinner)
    Then i work out and drink another bottle.
    Finally at bed I usually have a glass or two of water.

I pee about once per bottle, usually right before I drink the next one.