Cyclists

Options

Replies

• nelja
    nelja Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Then I am also chicken for the off-road.
    mph323 wrote: »
    I have a Trek 5200 carbon fiber women's specific road bike - 650c wheels to accommodate a shorter top tube. I also have a Specialized mountain bike that I rarely ride - it turns out I'm a big chicken off-road :(

I am loving all the bikes and stories!

• nelja
    Options
    How do you like the Hybrid?I do not want to ride a road bike,really to flimscy for me.But is a hybrid faster than a mountain bike?
    sijomial wrote: »
    Four bikes currently but might be shopping for a mountain bike next summer.

Merida hybrid - doesn't get used much these days, used to be my station commuter but has sentimental value as it's the first bike I did a Century on. Nicknamed "Boneshaker" as it's all alloy and a really harsh ride.

Boardman Hybrid - lovely urban ride, carbon forks and disc brakes. Use it for as many local trips as I can. Did some Audax events on it before I got the road bike bug.

• nelja
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Specialized Roubaix "Lazarus" - it was almost killed off by by a dozy car driver, exploded the front wheel and broke the forks clean off in the impact. Later the carbon frame was checked out and found to be OK so I rebuilt it with new forks and some fast carbon wheels. My main summer, good weather and Audax event ride.

That was a bad crash. Hopefully you were not injured.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My main bike, Cannondale CAADX105
    sd4ruiv5r2d8.jpg

My old/backup bike, Quest Audax:
    ld1okguexei4.jpg

• George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    iv got Cube, Bianchi,Claud Butler love cycling.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @nelja
    nelja wrote: »
    How do you like the Hybrid?I do not want to ride a road bike,really to flimsy for me.But is a hybrid faster than a mountain bike?

Depends on the hybrid really, some like my two are road focused with very limited off road capability. They both run fairly fast 700 x 28C road tyres.
    I went from a full suspension MTB on road tyres (did a couple of 60 mile charity rides on that) and it was a big leap in terms of speed when I switched to the hybrid.
    That was a bad crash. Hopefully you were not injured.
    Thank you.
    I was lucky as both me and the bike went over the top of the car, helmet saved me from a head injury and with my less than graceful landing I just jangled up all the bones and ligaments in my wrists but no fractures.
  • sijomial
    Options
    @mph323
    mph323 wrote: »
    I also have a Specialized mountain bike that I rarely ride - it turns out I'm a big chicken off-road :(

Me too - the crunch of gravel and the tyres moving about makes me pucker up!
    Took out a Specialzed Rockhopper on holiday in Fuerteventura over gravel, sand, mud and volcanic cinder. Loved the ride and the tranquillity but never felt completely confident. Must fix that. :)

461bzcok0whw.jpg

• tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This is my everyday/communting bike
    Felt-QX100-EQ-Women-s-2016-Hybrid-Bike-Hybrid-City-Bikes-Grey-Clearance-806642007.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

And my folding bike for use as and when
    33f930f440.jpg

I'd love a true roadie, but my husband would go nuts if i get another bike....
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I also had a very nice big ,full suspension which was to big.But the handling just is not nice.So the size of the big really counts.My husband upgraded mine also to a 1x10 system, which I just love.So much better than a 2x10.

Yeah, I guess I'm tall so was fitted with a Men's XL frame, but turns out I'm mostly leg and not a lot of torso, so the reach, despite shortening it as much as possible, was still too far and it was killing my back (have longstanding back issues anyway). This one fits much better and as a result, rides much easier as well. And yes, I didn't think I'd like the 1x, but it works really well. There are times I wish I had one more gear when I'm coasting/going slightly downhill and want to go faster. But going up hills, which is my weak point, there's really no difference from my Anthem THREE-x (of which I only used two of those three).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I own a nasty old department store 18-speed mountain bike.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    some sweet rides there folks. I have 5 bikes...which I rotate throughout the seasons. none of them are top end or high performance bikes but they suit my needs depending on the season or intent of the ride...just typical road bikes, trail bikes and mountain bikes.
    I ride a fair bit but never all out balls out. Just love being outside
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Scott Addict R3
    179bmfuxkgj1.jpg

Arinos Cross Blaze Ltd
    zn907arkd8qm.jpg

Cube Cross Race
    247371_2297973.jpg
  • nelja
    Options

Yeah, I guess I'm tall so was fitted with a Men's XL frame, but turns out I'm mostly leg and not a lot of torso, so the reach, despite shortening it as much as possible, was still too far and it was killing my back (have longstanding back issues anyway). This one fits much better and as a result, rides much easier as well. And yes, I didn't think I'd like the 1x, but it works really well. There are times I wish I had one more gear when I'm coasting/going slightly downhill and want to go faster. But going up hills, which is my weak point, there's really no difference from my Anthem THREE-x (of which I only used two of those three).

I am also not very good with hills. It feels like I am going slow motion :smile: Hopefully some day I will get it. I also now ride much easier and have more control over my Small bike. I am a bit short.

• nelja
    Options
    Whow most people have more than one bike. That is just great. And everyone enjoying the out doors.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The TT bike, originally a 2012 Specialized Transition Pro. Now something of a Frankenbike since there isn't much original left.
    aea0s2sadnf9.jpg

The road bike, originally a 2012 Felt AR5. Nothing really original left but the frame and fork.
    ubqlh7tvtxe5.jpg

The CX bike, custom-built on top of a 2014 Ridley X-Fire frameset
    87doogqjeemg.jpg

And the MTB, another custom job built on top of a 2017 Yeti ARC-C frameset and a Rockshox Sid XX fork.
    exd9ymnsyd3o.jpg

I also have a 2017 Ridley X-Night CX frameset sitting on the floor of my Man Cave waiting to be built up as a winter project. I'm thinking I may add a full-suspension MTB to the stable at some point in the coming months as well.

Great seeing the pics of everyone's bikes!

• nelja
    Options
    Awesome pictures every one.
    Tell us a bit about your cycling history ! What kind of rides do you do? Short/Long, Gravel/Road/XC/Marathon?
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Tell us a bit about your cycling history ! What kind of rides do you do? Short/Long, Gravel/Road/XC/Marathon?

I just love bikes. I race road, criterium, Cyclocross, and time trials regularly, and occasionally mountain bikes (both XC and short marathon, usually 3 hour). I probably consider myself a roadie and CX racer more than anything else, but I love riding everything. A given week in-season will see me riding gravel on the CX bikes, singletrack, and road miles on both road and TT bikes. I usually manage 60-120 minutes a day during the week, and usually 3-4 hour road rides on the weekends if I'm not racing.
  • sijomial
    Options

Gave up cycling at 16 when I discovered motorbikes (and girls!).
    Restarted in my late 40's doing local loops just for fitness and some charity rides for a challenge,
    Got more serious in my early 50's when I (finally) decided to lose my excess weight and get really fit.
    Upgraded from MTB to hybrids and started doing some Audax events as well as exploring locally.

Did a 113 mile charity ride as a memorial to my Mum together with a really supportive friend who is an excellent long distance rider. He persuaded me to borrow his spare road bike and rode the event with me too. That convinced me to buy my own road bike - a bike with fairly comfortable geometry as my neck and back don't work too well (Roubaix).

I do a lot of riding around Surrey (to the southwest of London) This year looks like the first year I might hit 5,000 miles as I'm now retired and have more time to spare and the chance to explore further afield. Also do a few Audax events which take you into some beautiful countryside on roads you might never discover by yourself, longest event I do is 130 miles from London to the coast and back via every big hill along the way.
    5avrqkyq5fs7.png

I'm pretty awful on hills so that is my focus for improvement.

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I have a hand-me-down Trek 7200. But it got me from not having ridden a bike since middle school (1970's) to completing a 2-day, 150 mile charity ride after just 4 months training.