October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @garygse She planned to give me her key fob because I had my phone so I had on my belt, but I did a warm up run and she did not, when I got back I hit the porta john and never saw her again until after the race. I just laughed way too hard. She wore a pair of my gloves and said she wanted to wash them before giving them back, quite frankly I was afraid to ask why. ha ha

@bruinsgal_91 great race

@carolineb81 love the picture with the team :heart:

Got up at 6:00 am today, the only morning I had to sleep in, to register for the Oak Barrel Half in Lynchburg TN in April 2018. This race filled up today in under 90 minutes. @Stoshew71 did you decide to run? It's so hard to get in that you get early entry registration if you have run it 3 of the past 5 years. Everyone says you HAVE to run Oak Barrel so at first I was going to wait and run it with Skip next year (2019) since she'll have a T&F meet the same day in 2018, but she said no mommy run it now I know you have been dying to do it. Depending on where her meet is I will probably get there in time for 2 of her 3 races anyway.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Today I completed the Beachy Head 10k. It was pretty brutal. There was an elevation gain of 966ft. My time was 1hr 13mins .

@carolineb81 Excellent Time for that course. Then to go out and do it again the next day - Amazing what Parents will do to put a smile on a childs face. That start looks similar to the start of one of my favorite local events the Emperor's challenge - except they give us 500m to get into the run and then its all uphill for 10km, then you peak out and it's all downhill to the Finish line. Was that mostly Trail or was it a mix trail & road?

@JessicaMcB Unsupported 100km :# You need one of the Bear Proof Barrels that Whitewater canoeist use as a midpoint stash for Gear and Goodies. Have fun. As part of a FB Hiking Group I have seen a lot of recent Pic's with lots of snow up high in your area and south of you along the Parkway.

Did the TEST It said I was a DORK, not sure if that is a compliment or a ??
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    October 1 - 16 km
    October 2 - 16 km
    October 3 - 16 km
    October 4 - 16 km
    October 5 - 16 km
    October 6 - 16 km
    October 7 - rest day
    October 8 - 21 km
    October 9 - 16 km
    October 10 - 16 km
    October 11 - 16 km
    October 12 - strength training/stairmarster
    October 13 - 16 km
    October 14 - strength training/stairmarster
    October 15 - 18.5 km
    October 16 - rest day
    October 17 - 16.5 km/ stairmarster
    October 18 - 16 km run /strength training
    October 19 - raining no run
    October 20 - 16.5 km run
    October 21 - 11.5 km run / strength training
    October 22 - 5 km run joined local running group
    October 23 - 19.5 km long run
    October 24 - 11.5 km run
    October 25 - strength training
    October 26 - 18.5 km run
    October 27 - 13.5 km run
    October 28 - 20 km run/ strength training
    October 29 - 5 km club run
    October 30 - rest day

Total km - 353 km out of 350 km

Met my goal on Saturday with a couple of days to spare. Am not really sure of how and what sort of schedule i should be doing. Just thought I'd build up a bit of a base and take it from there.
    Having a lovely rest day today. Have a wonderful day everyone and may the run gods be with you.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm way behind again - 800 new posts - so I only went back a few pages. Looks October has been a great running month for all of you!

@MNLittleFinn Not everyone is superhuman like @JessicaMcB ...you definitely deserved that week off and I'm sure your body appreciated the recovery time as well ;)

@skippygirlsmom Great job on the 5k! Glad it stopped raining for you

@carolineb81 Great race pics and congrats on finishing that super hilly 10k!
    @_nikkiwolf_ Much laughter here at those two pictures. Though the woman in the cartoon needs a new Garmin. She's got the Forerunner 305. Having said that; I actually saw a guy at race earlier this year with one of those. And I've still got my old 205. It probably still works, but I have no idea where the charger is.
    @BruinsGal_91 Thank you for reminding me that I need to find the charger for and charge my back-up watch that I keep in my running bag. I forgot my watch for a group run the other day but I had my pre-historic forerunner 110 in my bag. It kept giving me the low battery signal but it lasted me through the short run.

@JessicaMcB Wow, an unsupported 100k? That's awesome

@katharmonic Great job!

@juliet3455 Awesome job and pictures!

@_nikkiwolf_ Fantastic job on your 20k!

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oct. 29 - 4.5km Another rainy run...
    MTD - 94.4km/100km
    Hopefully I can hit this month's goal tomorrow, if not I will make it happen on Tuesday.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Got out for a run this morning after yesterday spent feeling sorry for myself (read 'hungover'). I'm still on a walk/run interval but I must've not been paying attention as send to be walking way longer than I'm supposed to. They were setting up on my route for a zombie run so I cut it a bit short so as not to be overwhelmed by the Undead...

I was supposed to be running another Half next weekend, but have deferred my place until next year. I know I could do the distance, but given my recent form I just don't think it would be FUN.

I have a plan to switch focus from running to strength training for three months. I will still run a little bit, but no more than 10k for a long run. And try and work on speed at shorter distances. Although it may be that with a focus on strength i can't actually run at all!!!

With that in mind, I'm doing a CrossFit taster on Friday. It may not be my thing, but I won't know until I try.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Got out for a run this morning after yesterday spent feeling sorry for myself (read 'hungover'). I'm still on a walk/run interval but I must've not been paying attention as send to be walking way longer than I'm supposed to. They were setting up on my route for a zombie run so I cut it a bit short so as not to be overwhelmed by the Undead...

I was supposed to be running another Half next weekend, but have deferred my place until next year. I know I could do the distance, but given my recent form I just don't think it would be FUN.

I have a plan to switch focus from running to strength training for three months. I will still run a little bit, but no more than 10k for a long run. And try and work on speed at shorter distances. Although it may be that with a focus on strength i can't actually run at all!!!

With that in mind, I'm doing a CrossFit taster on Friday. It may not be my thing, but I won't know until I try.

I think that's what I need to start doing. I've been letting my speed-work lapse in favour of building up my distance for my half in November.

I was looking at the photos from today's race and noticed that the woman who finished in 12th place in my age-group looked decidedly more like a 'Steve' than a 'Stella'. A quick check of the corresponding men's age-group confirmed that Steve and Stella had accidentally switched bibs. A shame really because Stella ran the race a darn sight faster than her husband, and should have been awarded second place.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 Glad you were able to go down to Churchill Downs and the KD Museum! I think we've talked about how I'm a horseracing fan as well. For my birthday in September (my 30th!), my mom and I went down to Louisville and Lexington to do a bunch of horse stuff. We went on an early backside tour of Churchill Downs where we got to see some horses doing morning exercises, visited the KD musuem, went on a tour at Darley (saw Nyquist and others), went on a tour at Old Friends (saw Silver Charm and others), and visited Keeneland during their preview of the yearling sale. It was awesome and my only regret is not being able to see my girl Songbird but they weren't letting anyone see her at the time. I hope to go down there again soon to be able to see her (hopefully she stays in KY) as well as American Pharoah and California Chrome. I hope to run the Kentucky Derby Marathon again - hopefully either in 2018 or 2019.

@MobyCarp Despite the less than ideal conditions, you still did great. Congrats!

@JessicaMcB Wow, congratulations! That is just awesome!