Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Its not really the calorie part.. I just have no self control with Oreos. I have to avoid buying them.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Its not really the calorie part.. I just have no self control with Oreos. I have to avoid buying them.

Totally understandable!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I can't have gluten so can't use the Big A## waffle recipe, but I have made this before and it's tasty:

https://theproteinchef.co/quick-easy-low-carb-waffles-recipe/
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    oh man I wish I could fit that many tubs into my grocery budget every week :p

I can't do the fluff either lol but your snack sounds pretty good! I may have to try that..

Buy the cheapest yogurt you can find on sale. Strain a tub over night. That will give you greek yogurt. Strain for for couple days and you get cream cheese. No need to spend money on greek yogurt which is nothing more than a strained (thickened) plain cheap yogurt.

I've read about doing this but I'm a little scared to try haha
    I will try to find your low calorie waffle recipe, that sounds good!

@kelly_c_77 I can't moderate oreo's either but I can moderate the Stauffer's chocolate animal crackers which are a fantastic chocolate cookie replacement. 3 of them are 23 cals and I find that's plenty for just about anything I want to top.. crush up over ice cream, yogurt, cheesecake. Could give those a try.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited November 2017
    For some reason, popcorn doesn't fill me up the way the ice cream does. I've never made meringues before, but that might work! And while buffalo cauliflower is delicious, it won't help the sweet tooth. :(
    I've never had warm pudding, but chocolate pudding sounds good. I could just make big batches of it. Not sure how it does filling me up.
    I made fluff once, but it was before I bought xanthan gum and it didn't get big and fluffy. Maybe I'll try that tonight with the xanthan gum!! I might also just eat massive amounts of applesauce until i come up with something that works.
    Thanks for all the suggestions..keep them coming! :)

I completely forgot!!!!!

Make my low calorie, low carb waffles!!! Top them with Walden Farms chocolate and pancake syrups. Each whole waffle comes out to under 100cal and its huge. I have a couple topped with the above and berries. If you can find the recipe let me know I will post it here.

I totally vouch for this waffle. I am on week 2 of making them and they are becoming the fabric of my world. I added cinnamon which mellows the coconut flavor a bit, and had to use agave because that's the sweetener I have on hand (and I have a lot of it), which bumps the calorie up to 130 for two of the waffles. I have a standard, round Cuisanart waffle iron and it makes two waffles about 2/3 the size of the whole waffle iron, which are slightly bigger around and puffier than a standard toaster waffle from the store and way less $$$$$$$$.
  • ElvenToad

I can't do the fluff either lol but your snack sounds pretty good! I may have to try that..

Buy the cheapest yogurt you can find on sale. Strain a tub over night. That will give you greek yogurt. Strain for for couple days and you get cream cheese. No need to spend money on greek yogurt which is nothing more than a strained (thickened) plain cheap yogurt.

What are you scared of? Dump the yogurt into a coffee filter lined strainer, place in the bowl so that the whey collects there and into the fridge over night. You can drink the whey too if you like or use it in smoothies etc. Nothing to worry about.

I thought it was much more complicated actually so I guess that's why. The instructions I remember were boiling milk, adding live cultures, something about a yogurt maker? It just sounded like way too much work for me. But what you explained sounds super easy and I just watched a youtube video of it. I'm going to give it a try! Question though, if using a 32oz tub of regular yogurt will I get the same volume after its strained? And will the macros work out to the same protein as greek?
  • kelly_c_77
    That recipe looks good too, @GottaBurnEmAll ! Thanks!
    I'll definitely check out Crazyravr's recipe. Thanks for the review, @fitoverfortymom !
    I'm also interested in tying to make my own Greek yogurt now too. How do you calculate the calories though?
    @ElvenToad, good idea! I have generic chocolate teddy grahams that I don't have a problem moderating. I'll sub those for the toppings!

I bought cream of tartar! Just letting my eggs get to room temperature, then I'll prep that protein angel food cake!
    I also got cream cheese to use for the filling/frosting in the protein poptart recipe! And liquid egg whites for the biga$$ waffle! I'm pumped to try all of these! Thanks so much for all the suggestions, guys!
  • ElvenToad

What are you scared of? Dump the yogurt into a coffee filter lined strainer, place in the bowl so that the whey collects there and into the fridge over night. You can drink the whey too if you like or use it in smoothies etc. Nothing to worry about.

I thought it was much more complicated actually so I guess that's why. The instructions I remember were boiling milk, adding live cultures, something about a yogurt maker? It just sounded like way too much work for me. But what you explained sounds super easy and I just watched a youtube video of it. I'm going to give it a try! Question though, if using a 32oz tub of regular yogurt will I get the same volume after its strained? And will the macros work out to the same protein as greek?

That's if you want to make regular yogurt from scratch starting with milk and culture. You don't need to do any of that if you have access to regular yogurt, the only step you'll need is straining the yogurt.

ETA: for volume and nutrition, it depends on how you like your yogurt. It could end up anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 the volume. For nutrition, weigh the resulting whey and subtract its nutrients if you care about macros (use the acid whey entry) from the whole weight of the starting regular yogurt to get the weight of the resulting greek yogurt and its nutrients. If all you want is calories, each 100g of whey is 24 calories. The whey makes great pancakes.

Thank you for this info, very helpful!
  • anewell28
    anewell28 Posts: 79 Member
    Chicken Stir Fry for dinner tonight. 375 calories!
    Canned chicken, 3 cups of frozen stir fry veggies, 1.5 cups of califlower rice, 100 grams of egg substitute, one clove of garlic, 32ml of teriyaki sauce and salt/pepper/ground ginger for seasoning!
  • kelly_c_77
    Protein angel food cake was awesome! I used Quest Salted Caramel. Definitely making it again!!!
    Biga$$ waffle(made pancakes because I don't have a waffle maker) was decent. The only change I made was using a different pancake/waffle mix because I didn't have Kodiak mix and wanted to use up what I had. I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, but the batter was quite thin/watery. If I make it again(with my pancake mix and not Kodiak), I will reduce the amount of water a bit.

Definitely recommend the angel food cake!
  • maisiba
    maisiba Posts: 66 Member
    edited November 2017
    Protein angel food cake was awesome! I used Quest Salted Caramel. Definitely making it again!!!

I'm jealous but happy to hear it's good. I guess I need to put some effort into getting that cream of tartar after all.

Your question about alternative desserts got me thinking because I have a massive sweet tooth as well. I had one more idea but haven't tried out that one either.

A sweet rice pudding - but with almond milk, sweetener and shirataki rice. That should have next to no calories and be fairly filling (perhaps not super-high volume but all the fiber in the konjac rice should do the trick).

I've googled around a bit to see if I can find a recipe the way I had it in mind but wasn't actually 100% successful in English. There are different versions of low-calorie rice pudding, some even with shirataki rice, but they use other ingredients I'm not so keen on like coconut milk and/or eggs (plus, those bits add noticeable calories). I did find one on a German site which I want to try; it sounds similar to what I had in mind. Perhaps I'll get around to it this weekend and I'll let you know how it is then. I wonder if you can even take the idea from cauliflower oats and add some cauliflower rice to the rice pudding as well and/or add some protein powder but I'll try a pure konjac rice version first.

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    @kelly_c_77 I don't have a recipe for the crumble since I've never tried it that way. I was just thinking of something sweet that could be easily manipulated. For measurements, play around with whatever will fit your calorie goal. I'd guess something like 1 cup of oatmeal and cereal mixed, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1 tsp butter, 2 tbs almond milk, sugar free maple syrup, splenda and cinnamon. So about 200-250 cals for the crust, then 100 cals of fruit mixed in, and the fat free cool whip.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Eggs were on sale when I went shopping yesterday so I bought two cartons. I'm going to make that angel food cake today!

Thanks for letting us know it was good @kelly_c_77 !
  • kelly_c_77
    Yay @GottaBurnEmAll !! I hope you like it as much as I did! I wish the carton egg whites would work because I'm all of out regular eggs now. I'll have to Google if meringues work with carton whites because I can try making those!

@Cbean08, I'll play around with those estimates. Thanks!

@maisiba, I hope you get cream of tartar soon so you can make the cake! Let us know how your rice pudding experiment turns out when you try it. I've actually never had rice pudding. I've also have never heard of shirataki rice, but I've tried the noodles and I didn't like them at all. :( I'd be willing to try the rice if you think it's good.. if I can even find shirataki rice.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    I still haven't made that angel food cake. Got side tracked with other things this weekend. Maybe today if I feel up to it. There's weather moving through that's triggered a migraine. Ugh.

I'm looking forward to tonight's dinner. Spaghetti squash topped with vegetarian taco filling. Spaghetti squash is one of my favorite volume foods.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Lemon sugar free jello, using 1 cup of yogurt in place of one of the cups of water makes a very acceptable lemon chiffon mousse. Top with lite Cool Whip.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,298 Member
    Fellow volume eaters!!
    I am looking for a high volume dessert recipe. I save most of my calories for night/after dinner and love to feel full before bed. I usually make 2-3 batches of the protein ice cream and that gets the job done. However, with the colder weather coming, I'm just too cold to eat that much ice cream, but need something to replace it! I prefer sweet stuff over savory..so any sweet, low calorie/high volume snacks at room temperature (or warmer) would be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

I've been using the xanthan gum to thicken my smoothies, seems to double the volume. It's getting cold where I live so I make it at room temp as far as the fruit i put in there go
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,298 Member
    for dessert I like to add couple Tbl of cool whip to my plain non fat greek yogurt & sometimes I'll add a little cereal, pb powder or the "healthy meal" powder. I like banana/carmel
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    One of my longterm, go-to meals (or a variation thereof):

Birds Eye - Steamfresh Rice With Mediterranean Vegetables, 200 g 929 kj

Annalisa - Lentils, 120 g 579 kj

John West - Salmon Tempters Mild Chilli Lime and Ginger, 95 g 845 kj

Total 562 kilocalories for the Americans.

Just needs the microwave to cook it, in about 5 mins total. Makes a nice big bowl.

Sometimes have have chickpeas instead of lentils.
    Sometimes I chuck in a load of rocket.
    I use different flavours of salmon or tuna, or a salmon or tuna fillet.
    I mostly have a dash of Siracha sauce or some sort of chilli sauce with it.