Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hi...anyone have any suggestions for the moodiness, anxiety and sadness that goes along with peri?

I kind of feel like I'm rubbing on sandpaper if that makes any sense. Everything is just worse. My husband irritates me more, my teenager (ugh), work, etc. Just so frustrated, partly because they are frustrating but I used to be able to brush it off. I can't seem to do that any more.

I had some blood work done last month because I suspected I was in peri. I'm almost 48 but had an ablation so I don't have periods any more but I used to be able to "track" sort of with cramping and emotions but now I feel like I'm just always PMS'ing.

Help before I quit my job, send my kid to live with his dad, divorce my husband and run off to Tahiti....lol

I will work on going back through this huge thread but in the meantime, suggestions would be awesome!
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just turned 49 and bit the bullet and am taking a low dose HRT (Mimvey). It is helping ENORMOUSLY. I think the depression I've been suffering the last few years HAS to be related (not a very sciencey view). I also am wondering if the HRT is helping me focus on my diet and exercise as well.

I was very worried about the HRT but I did enough research to be comfortable doing this for two years. I simply could not bare the night waking, night sweats and after 26 years of marriage it would suck to kill him now.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I was told that I'm peri as well. I'm 46. My periods were like clockwork until February of 2017. Then absolutely nothing, no spotting, cramping, zip. Then in June i went to see my daughter, she's away in school and stayed there for the summer. Long story short, after spending few days with her, bam, i get a period. Relatively light, but never the less, a real one. When she lived home, we were kind of in sync, although i really don't believe in it, but now i think it's possibly a real thing? And nothing at all after that again. I barely ever have night sweats, definitely mood swings and irritability. Had my hormones checked back in May, everything was ok and normal. Just repeated that blood work, so we'll see. I feel fine, new doctor i went to see ( insurance issue ) said it's common and normal. My impression was that process was a bit more gradual, not as sudden. That's why i thought maybe it has to do with weight loss. I don't want to take anything, but ended up taking Melatonin. It helps me go to sleep at reasonable time so i can get enough rest every night. So question is, do i count June as my last period, and if nothing happens, I'm officially crossing over into menopause next June? Or it's February, and June was a fluke of some sort?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    olive1968 wrote: »

I simply could not bare the night waking, night sweats and after 26 years of marriage it would suck to kill him now.

Lol... just had to say thanks for this and share the response that immediately came to my mind- "Would it really?" ;)
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    olive1968 wrote: »

I simply could not bare the night waking, night sweats and after 26 years of marriage it would suck to kill him now.

Lol... just had to say thanks for this and share the response that immediately came to my mind- "Would it really?" ;)

Not every day.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am not really sure what to expect because I have not really had a lot horrible menstrual problems other women have. The worst for me has been 5 minutes of cramps and the rare day of the crazies. Is it too much to hope for a smooth transition since I have had a relatively easy time for the past 30 years?

Here's how my process has been going so far.

I haven't had a period since January - fingers crossed that it was my last one! - and they'd been intermittent for a couple of years prior to that. (I just turned 52.)

I haven't been using any hormonal methods of birth control for about 12-15 years - I don't remember exactly when I stopped that. As a young woman I was on the pill until I wanted to get pregnant, and felt like *kitten* when I went back on it after my son was born so I stopped taking that! After a few years I tried an IUD but didn't really like it, so we went back to barrier methods until I got "fixed" a few years ago. ;)

I never suffered a huge amount with my periods when I was having them regularly - the first day was usually the worst, then a couple more days of cramps. I would sometimes have mild mood swings or some tenderness beforehand, but not too bad. They used to be a bit worse when I was younger, and got better after I had my son. They were never so bad that I was incapable of carrying on my daily life like I hear some women say, so I'm grateful for that!

When they started to become irregular they were initially a week or two late, and the gaps between gradually got longer and longer (except for one stretch early last year when I had three periods in the space of 8 weeks!), but when I did get one it was much heavier and more painful than I was used to. I also found that I was getting some of the symptoms around the time I might have been due, like a bit of cramping/tenderness or feeling irritable, but nothing else happened. For the last few months I haven't had that either, so I'm hoping that means it's pretty much over and done with.

The worst peri symptom I've had (and am still having) has been the hot flashes, although those seem to come and go - some days it's very frequent, other times I can go for several days without having one. I don't have night sweats, fortunately! I've had some memory issues and some difficulty concentrating, as well as some wild mood swings, but I also went through a period of depression and I believe that can also cause those symptoms so I'm not sure whether to attribute them to peri. Still having memory issues even though my mental health is much improved, though, so perhaps that is part of it.

I feel like I got off pretty lightly! I'm really hoping that this is the worst I have to deal with. :)

Thank you that is helpful, as well as what everyone else posted!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    It’s only been 2.5 weeks off estrogen and here’s what changed so far. I wish I had known years ago how much hormones influence your body and had educated myself on peri. I would have done something about it years ago.

Appetite - normal, I’m not constantly starving and thinking about food
    Sleep - besides getting up to pee, I’m sleeping thru the night
    Anxiety - I couldn’t think of anything to fret about today, not even one
    Fatigue - none
    Mood - 200% better
    Body Temp - I’m not constantly cold anymore (or hot), just normal
    Brain fog - the cloud has been lifted and I’m able to focus
    Social - I had gotten so I didn’t really want to leave the house or interact with people, now I’m looking forward to catching up with friends

It seems like all the reasons people start HRT are the complete opposite for me. I really feel better than I have in years. Fingers crossed my hair thickens back up!

Ladies - please, please, please - ask questions and explore your options. Talk about what’s going on. Even with that pesky husband.
  • Cellothere118
    Cellothere118 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! A quick intro- Im 49 turning 50 in January. While I had a year long "dry spell" from last year in September until the beginning of October this year (just a very light "one time" special appearance) I still would like to think its on its way out for good. Ive been to my doctor etc etc, and I also was diagnosed with PCOS. Another wonderful, hormonal wrestling match. BUT- I wanted to share a website with anyone interested. I am NOT working for or involved in any way, I just did some research looking for natural products to help me feel better. Its called Womenlivingnaturally.com I bought the progesterone cream. There is a SLEW of products and information for just about every issue we are talking about here. I would think that some ladies here will find it interesting and helpful, even if you dont buy anything. I also take vitamin supplements that I bought at a vitamin store after doing my own research on what would be helpful to naturally reduce estrogen dominance- comes with the PCOS. I hope this helps someone here, and I will definitely be following this group! Be well, ladies!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I had NO idea this thread was still alive! None. THANK YOU, everyone who has responded!

I am now nine months without a period, had a few little spots (not even a full day of spotting, per se, just...those few, well...spots) at one point...that's it.

I get horrible twinges down where I think my left ovary is. I may go to the doctor. It's getting pretty bad.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Holy cow! I had NO idea this thread was still alive! None. THANK YOU, everyone who has responded!

I am now nine months without a period, had a few little spots (not even a full day of spotting, per se, just...those few, well...spots) at one point...that's it.

I get horrible twinges down where I think my left ovary is. I may go to the doctor. It's getting pretty bad.

So funny you should post. I had just done a check if you were still with us earlier today.

I was 11 month into no period, happily went on a trip to Belgium, from west coast Canada, of course no pads and tampons taken.
    Oh- oh, late one evening my period started. You should have seen us all trying to find anywhere open.
    It was my last, but I never thought I was over until way past the 12 month mark.

Do go to your doc and get that left side twinge checked.

Cheers, h.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

So funny you should post. I had just done a check if you were still with us earlier today.

I was 11 month into no period, happily went on a trip to Belgium, from west coast Canada, of course no pads and tampons taken.
    Oh- oh, late one evening my period started. You should have seen us all trying to find anywhere open.
    It was my last, but I never thought I was over until way past the 12 month mark.

Do go to your doc and get that left side twinge checked.

Cheers, h.

Oh man! :s

I have one lonely, crumpled little tampon sitting in the bottom of my purse against this very eventuality.

Because I mean...you know. It's GOTTA happen.

I will get check out. Thanks. <3
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I’ve been skipping periods for months. This month I got some spotting. That seems to be over but my breasts are really tender like they usually are pre-period.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I’ve been skipping periods for months. This month I got some spotting. That seems to be over but my breasts are really tender like they usually are pre-period.

Is breast tenderness a symptom? My right has been so painful for 2 weeks now :(
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    My last recordable period was May 2016, so I am officially in menopause. But on a regular basis, I have that slick, clear mucus discharge, similar to the mucus discharge during ovulation. Has anyone else have the same experience?
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My last recordable period was May 2016, so I am officially in menopause. But on a regular basis, I have that slick, clear mucus discharge, similar to the mucus discharge during ovulation. Has anyone else have the same experience?

My official last period was 12/30/15 (my birthday). For awhile, I continued with the discharge. Not sure when it stopped, maybe after the first year. Totally like a desert now.. :'(
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Gulp...I think I might belong here, although I am not exactly sure. Last month I missed my period and I was freaking out a little. I have been regular for about 30 years. It didn't even occur to me until a few days ago that it might be my age! When the hell did I turn 43?!

Anyway I finally got my period yesterday and it is crazy light compared to what I normally have. I have been doing a little reading to try to find out what may be in store for me. I am not really sure what to expect because I have not really had a lot horrible menstrual problems other women have. The worst for me has been 5 minutes of cramps and the rare day of the crazies. Is it too much to hope for a smooth transition since I have had a relatively easy time for the past 30 years? My mom had a hysterectomy so she is not really a good person to discuss this with. She did say that my grandma was unbearable at times..

I am hopeful that being at a healthy weight and working out regularly will lessen any symptoms. I lift weights so I hope that will help protect my bone density.

I hope you all don't mind if I lurk a little in this thread!

Eeekk! I have had what I think are night sweats for the past 3 nights. I wake up and toss the covers off. It is the oddest sensation. I feel like I am covered in sweat - but when I touch my skin it is only slightly damp. I feel extremely hot - but not like a fever and not like I have been working out. It just kinda feels like waves of heat are coming from inside me - I feel like I could power our furnace. I am just missing the ingesting toxic chemicals part to turn this into a super hero origin story!

I guess a doctors visit is in order. Now to find the time...
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    I get night sweats too. They alternate with feeling too cold as I have to kick the covers off and take off extra layers I had been wearing a few moments earlier because I had been cold then. This will repeat all night. Sleeping, or trying to, has become torture.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I’m having the worst cramps ever! I can barely stand up. I’m supposed to take my daughter to an indoor play place in 20 minutes. We are meeting daughter’s friend and dad there. Sure will be embarrassing to have to say I’m having horrible cramps and that’s why I’m moving like I’m 90yrs old.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Holy crap, I’m having the worst cramps ever! I can barely stand up. I’m supposed to take my daughter to an indoor play place in 20 minutes. We are meeting daughter’s friend and dad there. Sure will be embarrassing to have to say I’m having horrible cramps and that’s why I’m moving like I’m 90yrs old.

It never occurred to me when I had my kids later in life that I would be dealing with this stuff while they were still young! Hopefully it will be past by the time they're teenagers ;)