Cottage cheese??

Options

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is something you either love or hate - I'm in the former group. I like to sprinkle it with freeze-dried chives and dig into it with Ak-Mak Armenian crackers. Or with carrot and celery sticks. It's good with some fruit or jelly/marmalade, too. I like the small curd rather than the large curd variety.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I don't like the texture of cottage cheese ... but I do like, very much, that of ricotta. Favorite way to eat it is 1/4 cup spread over a slice of black bread toast.

Now what is black bread?

Bread that is made from mostly hearty other grains rather than white flour, although some of that is in the ingredients list. Rye, Pumpernickel, buckwheat, that kind of grain.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I don't like the texture of cottage cheese ... but I do like, very much, that of ricotta. Favorite way to eat it is 1/4 cup spread over a slice of black bread toast.

Now what is black bread?

Bread that is made from mostly hearty other grains rather than white flour, although some of that is in the ingredients list. Rye, Pumpernickel, buckwheat, that kind of grain.

Is it more nutritionally sound?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    blended with protein powder or peanut flour to make cheesecake pudding. Or folded in with eggs for cheesy eggs. or in a fruit smoothie to make it creamy
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In my scrambled eggs, in cauliflower mash, with jelly.... I probably consume about 1kg a week!
  • hayley_kimberlee
    Options
    Cottage cheese salad.

Cottage cheese
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Any type of veggie you want to add really. Peppers, onions, radishes etc.
    Italian or Greek seasoning
    Salt and pepper
    Fresh lemon juice
    Sometimes if I’m in the mood for a bit more flavour I add balsamic vinegar
  • Gracie12311
    Gracie12311 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I really like cottage cheese and just tried the jelly/jam recommendation. Mixed a tablespoon of homemade strawberry jelly in with half a cup of cottage cheese and OMG. Mind blown - LOVED it.

I have no clue how I haven't heard of this before now. So good. I'll have to try all the other recommendations now.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it if you don't like it, or find a way that you like it.

For example, I HATE it savory. Can't do it on crackers, salads, with veggies, any of that.
    But I LOVE it with some raspberry preserves. I could eat TROUGHS of the stuff.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Not much of a fan of the stuff only because back in the day it was considered a "diet" food and thats how I relate.
    I just need to think outside of the carton and get ideas from the forum how you eat it?

It's my go-to whenever I want to get more protein in, but I also absolutely LOVE cottage cheese. I like it as is, but also sometimes with pepper, balsamic vinegar, or fruit/fruit syrup. (I actually banned it from the fridge for a while because it was a 'trigger food' for me - but it's such a lean source of protein that I just make sure I pre-portion it out into containers now).

Ditto what others said. There are too few calories in the day to waste them on something you don't like. Find a protein source you enjoy.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You might also prefer a different fat content or brand than what you've tried. Personally I prefer the large curd, and the 0% fat stuff is awful. 2-4% I find perfect. And I hate the texture of the Daisy brand.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I HATED cottage cheese until about a year ago when I tried a couple of different brands. There is a huge difference between some of them. I grew up with Daisy brand cottage cheese and it's just yuck. Once I found a brand that was nice and thick, I love it topped with frozen blueberries. It's a perfect evening sweet snack.
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love it heated in the microwave with cumin and garlic powder. Added veggies to it today.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Now what is black bread?

Is it more nutritionally sound?

I think the term would be more nutritionally dense. My pumpernickel is made with molasses and cocoa. Some recipes also call for black coffee. Because it is made with largely whole grains there are more micronutrients and more fiber.
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love cottage cheese plain. I've also blended it until smooth and substituted it for sour cream. So far so good, although (disclaimer!) I've only done it for a few baked meals with a lot of other ingredients, so I can't guarantee it will work out well every time.
  • TuesdayLucero
    TuesdayLucero Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with fruit like pears or peaches, or with cut up tomatoes, salt and pepper but my favorite thing to use it for is this low calorie spinach artichoke dip. You can eat almost the entire recipe for less than a hamburger.

Spinach Artichoke Dip

1 bag of baby spinach, or a box of frozen
    1 can artichoke hearts in water
    a few cloves of garlic
    1 small container (2 cups?) of fat free cottage cheese
    2-3 tablespoons of fat free cream cheese
    1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella
    Parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    salt and pepper
    nutmeg
    cayenne pepper

Put the whole container of cottage cheese in the food processor. Process it until the lumps break up, add the cream cheese and mix again until it's smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set it aside in a large bowl.

Saute the spinach with the garlic and olive oil. Chop the artichokes and add them to the pan. Saute until they're warm all the way through. Put that mix in the food processor and mix just for a second to chop and combine the spinach, artichokes, and garlic.

Mix the vegetables with the cheese mixture and the mozzarella. Put it all in a baking dish- it usually fills a 9x13, sprinkle it with parmesan cheese, and bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes, until the cheese browns and it's hot all the way through.
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese topped with some diced peaches! Yum!

I also enjoy putting them in crepes for cheese blintzes-then topped with sour cream (or greek yogurt) and some strawberry preserves (sugar-free or fresh berries if you prefer to lighten the calories some).
  • jlindros
    jlindros Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I buy the pineapple cottage cheese, use 1/2 a cup of that - throw in a small container of fruit cocktail (with cherries) and walnuts on top! Love it that way!
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Nothing really new to add but tossing it out there that I love it with blueberries or strawberries. One of my go-to breakfasts.
    Also live ricotta with berries if you can’t get past the texture of cottage chees. Yum!
  • sjhlion
    sjhlion Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I love to eat it with some black olives and pepper. I also put it in enchiladas for something different. Honestly you can use it as a sub for sour cream in almost any recipe. The great thing about it is you can pair it with sweet or savory and it'll taste great...IMO of course.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You guys have the best ideas and now cottage cheese is looked at differently!