The Importance of Willpower for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    leonhnchan wrote: »
    In my opinion, forget willpower. You can't reply on it. You can't even rely on motivation. Rely on DISCIPLINE which means you do something even if you don't feel it. DISCIPLINE is what will move you forward in the long run. Don't feel like getting up to run when you said to yourself the night before you will? Do it anyway. That will work towards developing the discipline to do it anyway. The problem is if you skip it, it will be much easier to just skip it the next time you're supposed to do it.

You posted before I asked my question on this topic, but the definition I'm finding for willpower is "control exerted to do something or restrain impulses". Isn't that basically the same thing as discipline?
  • leonhnchan
    leonhnchan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    leonhnchan wrote: »
    In my opinion, forget willpower. You can't reply on it. You can't even rely on motivation. Rely on DISCIPLINE which means you do something even if you don't feel it. DISCIPLINE is what will move you forward in the long run. Don't feel like getting up to run when you said to yourself the night before you will? Do it anyway. That will work towards developing the discipline to do it anyway. The problem is if you skip it, it will be much easier to just skip it the next time you're supposed to do it.

You posted before I asked my question on this topic, but the definition I'm finding for willpower is "control exerted to do something or restrain impulses". Isn't that basically the same thing as discipline?

In my simplistic opinion, willpower is something you consciously think about and it tends to be something that is limited, just like the op said. Discipline is something you don't even think about like brushing your teeth every morning without even thinking about it. But my point is, when you don't feel like exercising when you are supposed to, that is when it's especially important that you do it anyway.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    I really need a tl:dr version. I have no motivation to read all these words. :)

TL,DR - don't make it harder than you have to. Works better if you make it easier for yourself ..

Would you agree Aaron that this is your post in a nutshell?

I have said similar on here about logging - don't aim to do it perfectly, aim to do it as as lazily and easily as gets results for you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    When I hear "discipline" I think that it implies a negative connotation about people who are struggling, as though it's something they are lacking that represents a flaw in them. It feels judgmental to me in a way that willpower doesn't.

I would rather use "habitual" for the definition of "does something without even thinking about it." And I think the optimal use of willpower is using it long enough for something to become habitual. Then you will have that willpower available in other areas. I very much agree with OP, though. Sometimes what someone really needs isn't more discipline or more willpower, what they need is help/reassessment of priorities, etc.

This has been an interesting and useful thread. Thank you, OP.

This was basically my point. Its all well and good to say people just need "more" willpower or "more" discipline but saying that to someone isn't going to help them conjure up "more" of that out of thin air. I think its much more useful to tell people that it is important to realize it is a limited resource, they only have so much of it and it is important to take stock of ones priorities and think hard about what one needs to do to make room for new goals in ones life (which can include something like weightloss). This post is a counterpoint to the "just believe in yourself" or "just try harder" type of posts. I don't think that sort of advice is actually useful.
  • try2again
    Options
    When I hear "discipline" I think that it implies a negative connotation about people who are struggling, as though it's something they are lacking that represents a flaw in them. It feels judgmental to me in a way that willpower doesn't.

I would rather use "habitual" for the definition of "does something without even thinking about it." And I think the optimal use of willpower is using it long enough for something to become habitual. Then you will have that willpower available in other areas. I very much agree with OP, though. Sometimes what someone really needs isn't more discipline or more willpower, what they need is help/reassessment of priorities, etc.

I don't know... to say that someone lacks willpower strikes me as judgmental as well :)

I love your statement "the optimal use of willpower is using it long enough for something to become habitual" (which I believe is just a more concise statement of what was said by the OP). It's a short-term tool, not a long-term solution.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    I really need a tl:dr version. I have no motivation to read all these words. :)

TL,DR - don't make it harder than you have to. Works better if you make it easier for yourself ..

Would you agree Aaron that this is your post in a nutshell?

I have said similar on here about logging - don't aim to do it perfectly, aim to do it as as lazily and easily as gets results for you.

Yeah. Don't make it harder than you have to, works better if you make it easier on yourself. Coupled with make sure you assess your priorities and realize that if you choose to prioritize weight loss in your life it likely means you have to deprioritize something else.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I don't know... to say that someone lacks willpower strikes me as judgmental as well :)

I love your statement "the optimal use of willpower is using it long enough for something to become habitual" (which I believe is just a more concise statement of what was said by the OP). It's a short-term tool, not a long-term solution.

Yeah I think there is a certain willpower cost associated with doing something that does not feel routine. The more you do it though the more it will feel routine and therefore the less "cost" it will have. I don't think cost goes to zero though just gets smaller and by how much is hard to say.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I love the OP. Too many times people fall into the trap of perfectionism - and a lot of the messaging in society encourages that idea. It's a false dichotomy of all McDonald's or all homegrown veggies, and there are so many people on this board that struggle with it because it feels like not doing everything "right" means that you are wrong and a failure. Making changes takes energy and figuring out what changes minimize energy utilized to maximize impact is really the way to go.

Thanks and yes I agree, there is an "all or nothing" attitude that seems pervasive. I think it comes from the culture embracing this "you can do whatever you set your mind to!" idea of "as long as you have a positive outlook you can do anything" that honestly is unrealistic. No, you can't do anything you set your mind to...you can only do so much, so think hard about what you want out of life and act accordingly.

With weight loss, as long as the goal isn't unreasonable I think it can be that binary. Either you're all in or you're not. You can make a single firm commitment or you can nurture your willpower everyday and accept that some days there just isn't enough to go around. It can easily turn in to a way to give yourself permission to stray from the path without accepting responsibility for it. This doesn't mean that you have to be rigid about never exceeding you calorie goal. You can give yourself permission to make an exception. But treating willpower like there is a finite amount seems like giving yourself permission to fail.

But....there is a finite amount. Since when is acknowledging reality the same as permission to fail? I don't think realism is the same as pessimism. I did not come to terms with not being able to do everything I'd ever want to do in life because I was depressed and was looking for a reason to quit, I did it because coming to terms with reality was a means of becoming actually effective in my planning. I do not find that depressing I find that empowering.

We will have to agree to disagree on that point. To me, willpower is the backbone to stand by your convictions or decisions. "I would have stayed faithful but she offered herself to me 11 times and I ran out of willpower after 10." - see how far that gets you. Maybe what we think of as willpower are different things.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I love the OP. Too many times people fall into the trap of perfectionism - and a lot of the messaging in society encourages that idea. It's a false dichotomy of all McDonald's or all homegrown veggies, and there are so many people on this board that struggle with it because it feels like not doing everything "right" means that you are wrong and a failure. Making changes takes energy and figuring out what changes minimize energy utilized to maximize impact is really the way to go.

Thanks and yes I agree, there is an "all or nothing" attitude that seems pervasive. I think it comes from the culture embracing this "you can do whatever you set your mind to!" idea of "as long as you have a positive outlook you can do anything" that honestly is unrealistic. No, you can't do anything you set your mind to...you can only do so much, so think hard about what you want out of life and act accordingly.

With weight loss, as long as the goal isn't unreasonable I think it can be that binary. Either you're all in or you're not. You can make a single firm commitment or you can nurture your willpower everyday and accept that some days there just isn't enough to go around. It can easily turn in to a way to give yourself permission to stray from the path without accepting responsibility for it. This doesn't mean that you have to be rigid about never exceeding you calorie goal. You can give yourself permission to make an exception. But treating willpower like there is a finite amount seems like giving yourself permission to fail.

But....there is a finite amount. Since when is acknowledging reality the same as permission to fail? I don't think realism is the same as pessimism. I did not come to terms with not being able to do everything I'd ever want to do in life because I was depressed and was looking for a reason to quit, I did it because coming to terms with reality was a means of becoming actually effective in my planning. I do not find that depressing I find that empowering.

We will have to agree to disagree on that point. To me, willpower is the backbone to stand by your convictions or decisions. "I would have stayed faithful but she offered herself to me 11 times and I ran out of willpower after 10." - see how far that gets you. Maybe what we think of as willpower are different things.

The way I am using willpower I am saying it is the energy required to carry out an action. Your example is a decision to not act and although the decision itself might take a bit of willpower the act of not acting doesn't. I fully admit whenever one chooses to use a word other people will assume things about your meaning that you dont mean because of how they use that word. I'd just encourage you to not rely on your definition but rather see how I defined it. If you want to call it someting other than willpower sure.

For your analogy to fit my definition that I was using it would be more like you decided to not be faithful and promised to have sex 11 times in a row but ran out of energy after 10 times and gave up because you over-committed to something you did not have enough in the tank to perform.

The act of counting calories, the act of getting yourself to drink a glass of water when you normally wouldn't, the act of meal planning, the act of exercising all require energy I am referring to as willpower. That resource is limited, you cannot do everything at somepoint you will run out of energy to do actions. Call it "energy" then. Honestly I think most people just call it "time". Oh I don't have "time" to do that.

What you are defining I'd probably called discipline. You use some will to make the decision but then you rely on discipline to stick to your conviction since the conviction itself doesn't require any actual action. Would being repeatedly tempted require more and more will? I don't know maybe, I guess I could see that. I agree with you though it seems unlikely you would cave just by being asked over and over again so I think at somepoint discipline takes over and it becomes automatic.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I do think of willpower and discipline as synonyms; not exact ones but pretty close. But I think sticking to the diet is a matter of discipline also.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I do think of willpower and discipline as synonyms; not exact ones but pretty close. But I think sticking to the diet is a matter of discipline also.

Yeah I mean you raised some good points. In my own example I talked about not wasting energy on avoiding drinking diet soda which would be me claiming you spend willpower avoiding something. Your point regarding a scenario of infidelity about whether that means if someone repeatedly tempts you it will eventually wear you down is well made and I guess my answer is I'm not entirely sure. I mean to some degree I think it would wear you down, not if the person asked you 11 times in a row on the same day that would just be annoying but if it was repeated temptations over time I could see that how likely one was to succumb to temptation might very well be related to how overwhelmed one is with other activities. That doesn't make it an excuse, just an explanation. Yeah I guess I do think you can be worn down to the point of being more susceptible to failures in character.

Overall though I think this is sort of a deep dive on focusing on word meanings when really all I am saying is "Hey, if you have had trouble in the past losing weight maybe take stock of what you are spending your time on and make sure you have provided enough to be able to make the life changes necessary for weight loss....don't try to do everything you could possible do all at once, just pick a few simple things and focus on consistency."
  • try2again
    Options

Overall though I think this is sort of a deep dive on focusing on word meanings when really all I am saying is "Hey, if you have had trouble in the past losing weight maybe take stock of what you are spending your time on and make sure you have provided enough to be able to make the life changes necessary for weight loss....don't try to do everything you could possible do all at once, just pick a few simple things and focus on consistency."

I already brought this out, but I do think it's inaccurate to equate time management & willpower. For many, prioritizing their time may well be the only issue, but as your original post detailed, the bigger cost generally comes from our attitude about a particular obligation, and that's very difficult to quantify. But again, I'm not disagreeing, I just think the two things are different, albeit related, issues.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2017
    Options

I already brought this out, but I do think it's inaccurate to equate time management & willpower. For many, prioritizing their time may well be the only issue, but as your original post detailed, the bigger cost generally comes from our attitude about a particular obligation, and that's very difficult to quantify. But again, I'm not disagreeing, I just think the two things are different, albeit related, issues.

Yeah fair enough I guess I slipped into saying "time" myself. I think people use the word "time" when they really mean something more like willpower or energy. Honestly I don't think anyone spends literally every second of everyday doing nothing but productive activities so really there always is more "time" you could be doing something productive in. It is energy we run out of, not time....there is only so much we can do productively in a given day and I think the limit is the willpower and ability to focus not the clock.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

You could take it as permission to fail. Or, you could look at it as insight, and then sweet yourself up to succeed, which involves knowing and mitigating your weaknesses.

I've lost about 70 pounds and kept it off a few years now. I'm not all or nothing about it.