The Importance of Willpower for Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough I guess I slipped into saying "time" myself. I think people use the word "time" when they really mean something more like willpower or energy. Honestly I don't think anyone spends literally every second of everyday doing nothing but productive activities so really there always is more "time" you could be doing something productive in. It is energy we run out of, not time....there is only so much we can do productively in a given day and I think the limit is the willpower and ability to focus not the clock.

Besides, quality of life has to be taken into account. Those "nonproductive" activities may well be what we need to help reset our willpower and rejuvenate ourselves :smile: I know my life would be very dull and frankly horrible if all I did all the time was nothing but what was considered "productive". Shoot, I only work because I need money for the necessities of life and for the "fun" hobbies I like :lol:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Many points that have been discussed here were sounding familiar to me, and I finally remembered why. I read this great article last year on how to harness your habits and the 3 primary points were:

1) Be realistic. Recognize the limits on your time, energy, and resources and only pick one or two things to work on at a time. As OP has said, focus on what's most important to you.

2) Manage your environment (as was touched on above). Make it harder to do the wrong thing (don't keep ice cream in your freezer, if that is your weakness) and make it easier to do the right thing (if you want to work out in the morning, put your workout clothes right next to the bed). Limit contact with people who discourage you, and seek out those who help reinforce your good habits (if you're trying to quit smoking, don't hang out with the smokers on your break).

3) Have a long-range view. Don't view setbacks as permanent failure, and focus on your successes (and how to repeat them) rather than your setbacks.

Hope this wasn't a derail- I just thought it tied in really nicely. And thanks, OP, for creating the post that prompted me to go hunt it down! I needed it :)

I'm not sure I've ever "inspiring"-ed something before, but the way you summed that up really spoke to me. I've recently been working on getting my family's finances in order, and realized that I've been treating saving money and getting out of debt much the same way I was treating weight loss a couple of years ago - I figured it was such a huge task, and fixing it would take so many unpleasant changes, that I was pretty much guaranteed to fail. So I give up before I begin, the problem gets worse, and so on and so forth.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    An example.

Last night I was craving salty savory crunchy junk food. But I don't keep the stuff in my house. And it was cold and rainy, so I didn't want to go out.

Not keeping high calorie junk food around is a strategy I use to avoid thoughtless evening binges.

I know yours is an example but it is one where I have to use willpower/discipline instead of that strategy. I have a family that includes teenagers. There are probably 3 or 4 kinds of chips and a couple of kinds of cookies in the pantry. There are some Snickers ice cream bars and some Klondike bars in the freezer. The menu changes, but there are just about always snacks like that in the house. There are donuts in the breakroom at work some days; afternoon parties with chips and dips and beers (a temptation I have to avoid for more reasons than caloric content). I have to be able to withstand a constant barrage of temptation. I even do it to myself. I have squirreled away milestone rewards in my desk drawer. 4 more pounds and I get to have a white chocolate chunk macadamia nut cookie. There are a bunch of fun size candy bars in there also. It's been weeks since I last had one at a previous milestone. No one but me knows exactly what's in there. I don't eat any of that stuff because I am not supposed to and because losing the weight is more important to me than a quick junk food fix, or at least it is right now. I am standing firm behind my decision and it isn't more taxing on donut days.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bravo. I agree that a good talk about how to invest our energy is very much needed. I also found success by making small achievable changes.

Something we talked about in our eating therapy group is the "all or nothing" mentality.

http://cogbtherapy.com/cbt-blog/cognitive-distortions-all-or-nothing-thinking

Eating resolutions are easily derailed if the dieter has to be perfect, every single day. When I switched my perspective to "eh, it's just one day/doughnut", I recovered much more quickly and got back on track right away.

Long term success.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I never use the word "willpower" because for some reason I have some very, very negative associations with it. When I hear the word I think of someone gritting her teeth, sitting on her hands to keep from jumping up and shoving food into her mouth in desperation. I think of effort against something every fiber of her body is begging the person to do.

So I usually just don't call it this. I do think of it as making new habits, because (this is just me, now, bear that in mind), I feel I had gotten used to A LOT of food, I mean an excessive amount as being "normal," and I thought of being full to the point of "I can't stuff anything else in" as normal, too. So by comparison, of course eating less was going to feel, initially, like deprivation. I had to get into the habit of eating non-water-buffallo-size quantities of food.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Many points that have been discussed here were sounding familiar to me, and I finally remembered why. I read this great article last year on how to harness your habits and the 3 primary points were:

1) Be realistic. Recognize the limits on your time, energy, and resources and only pick one or two things to work on at a time. As OP has said, focus on what's most important to you.

2) Manage your environment (as was touched on above). Make it harder to do the wrong thing (don't keep ice cream in your freezer, if that is your weakness) and make it easier to do the right thing (if you want to work out in the morning, put your workout clothes right next to the bed). Limit contact with people who discourage you, and seek out those who help reinforce your good habits (if you're trying to quit smoking, don't hang out with the smokers on your break).

3) Have a long-range view. Don't view setbacks as permanent failure, and focus on your successes (and how to repeat them) rather than your setbacks.

Hope this wasn't a derail- I just thought it tied in really nicely. And thanks, OP, for creating the post that prompted me to go hunt it down! I needed it :)

I'm not sure I've ever "inspiring"-ed something before, but the way you summed that up really spoke to me. I've recently been working on getting my family's finances in order, and realized that I've been treating saving money and getting out of debt much the same way I was treating weight loss a couple of years ago - I figured it was such a huge task, and fixing it would take so many unpleasant changes, that I was pretty much guaranteed to fail. So I give up before I begin, the problem gets worse, and so on and so forth.

I can't take credit for the info, but I'm glad it could be of help to both of us :)

Your experience made me think of when I made my MFP account several years ago... I was actually grumbling out loud about how miserable I was going to be. But I just focused on the math and it was fine.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    On the one hand, this makes a lot of sense to me, and I readily see some ways to implement it. But it concerns me as well. Does this mean it's hopeless for those whose daily life pretty much uses up all of their willpower (I'm thinking work & family issues they cannot change, health problems, depression, etc.) to be successful at weight loss or achieving fitness? :(

In terms of the OP, we all need to use our available stores of energy efficiently.

Some people have less stress / less working hours, so can do more exercise (for example).

Some people barely have energy to feed themselves. That's where accurate logging/weighing food is a priority. They don't need to do massive food preps or fancy home-cooked meals. They can prepare whatever they can manage in the proportions that give them a calorie deficit.

Lots of successful people on MFP still have health problems.

Using our energy ("willpower" / "habits") efficiently results in longer term success.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I was thinking about this thread last night and this morning, and I think one important element to consider when thinking about willpower (or whatever you want to call the mental effort of doing something difficult) is the idea of reward. A number of times in the past I’ve tried to start an exercise regimen only to quit when I wasn’t percieving any payoff for my efforts, or the payoff wasn’t worth the effort expended (in my mind at least, which really is the only thing that matters when we’re talking willpower, right?). I suspect that many people who embark on dramatic dietary changes for weight loss get frustrated by lack of perceived reward as well, especially since a dramatic effort should yield dramatic results, right?

This to me lends support for the slow and steady method, although I’ve seen people criticize it for exactly that reason - that the results are too slow and small to provide enough reward, aka motivation, to keep going. I think there are two missed points here though: first, slow and steady requires much less change (willpower) so doesn’t require as dramatic of rewards to maintain. And second is the idea of reframing expections. When I started here at MFP, my goal wasn’t to lose two pounds a week, it was to track every bit of food I was eating as accurately as possible. The reward was information and the effort required really wasn’t that bad. My second goal was to stop gaining weight, which genuinely was a modest dietary change for fairly clear and easy rewards.

Speaking to the OP (which I did not reread before posting, my apologies), I think reward helps lighten the effort required to exert willpower. If something is difficult to do and you don’t see any gains in doing it other than it being what you’re “supposed” to do, then it’s always going to be more difficult than doing somewhere with a predictable and proportionate reward. When you’re talking long-term projects like weight loss or fitness, it’s extra challenging because the primary rewards aren’t generally quick to materialize. The trick, then, is to figure out more immediate rewards sufficient to keep you personally motivated.

Brought to you by a second problematic word - motivation - and from my NordicTrack. I’m not a big fan of stationary biking, but I am a fan of 1) closing my exercise and move rings on my Apple Watch, and 2) being able to fill in my fitness spreadsheet instead of leaving it blank for the day. Also, not being outside in 12 degree weather is its own reward.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this thread last night and this morning, and I think one important element to consider when thinking about willpower (or whatever you want to call the mental effort of doing something difficult) is the idea of reward. A number of times in the past I’ve tried to start an exercise regimen only to quit when I wasn’t percieving any payoff for my efforts, or the payoff wasn’t worth the effort expended (in my mind at least, which really is the only thing that matters when we’re talking willpower, right?). I suspect that many people who embark on dramatic dietary changes for weight loss get frustrated by lack of perceived reward as well, especially since a dramatic effort should yield dramatic results, right?

This to me lends support for the slow and steady method, although I’ve seen people criticize it for exactly that reason - that the results are too slow and small to provide enough reward, aka motivation, to keep going. I think there are two missed points here though: first, slow and steady requires much less change (willpower) so doesn’t require as dramatic of rewards to maintain. And second is the idea of reframing expections. When I started here at MFP, my goal wasn’t to lose two pounds a week, it was to track every bit of food I was eating as accurately as possible. The reward was information and the effort required really wasn’t that bad. My second goal was to stop gaining weight, which genuinely was a modest dietary change for fairly clear and easy rewards.

Speaking to the OP (which I did not reread before posting, my apologies), I think reward helps lighten the effort required to exert willpower. If something is difficult to do and you don’t see any gains in doing it other than it being what you’re “supposed” to do, then it’s always going to be more difficult than doing somewhere with a predictable and proportionate reward. When you’re talking long-term projects like weight loss or fitness, it’s extra challenging because the primary rewards aren’t generally quick to materialize. The trick, then, is to figure out more immediate rewards sufficient to keep you personally motivated.

Brought to you by a second problematic word - motivation - and from my NordicTrack. I’m not a big fan of stationary biking, but I am a fan of 1) closing my exercise and move rings on my Apple Watch, and 2) being able to fill in my fitness spreadsheet instead of leaving it blank for the day. Also, not being outside in 12 degree weather is its own reward.

Good points, yeah I would agree that seeing progress helps mitigate willpower costs as you feel validated in your efforts. That it is important to have realistic expectations of results so that you are not discouraged simply because you expected more than was feasible or likely to happen.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    On the one hand, this makes a lot of sense to me, and I readily see some ways to implement it. But it concerns me as well. Does this mean it's hopeless for those whose daily life pretty much uses up all of their willpower (I'm thinking work & family issues they cannot change, health problems, depression, etc.) to be successful at weight loss or achieving fitness? :(

In terms of the OP, we all need to use our available stores of energy efficiently.

Some people have less stress / less working hours, so can do more exercise (for example).

Some people barely have energy to feed themselves. That's where accurate logging/weighing food is a priority. They don't need to do massive food preps or fancy home-cooked meals. They can prepare whatever they can manage in the proportions that give them a calorie deficit.

Lots of successful people on MFP still have health problems.

Using our energy ("willpower" / "habits") efficiently results in longer term success.

I never personally felt that it was hopeless for people; I was just reacting to the idea of willpower being finite. I think the discussion has since mentioned some nice strategies to free up more of a person's resources that apply to the vast majority of people (myself included). Realistically, I think there are times in life when the best a person can aim for is to maintain his/her current weight/fitness/good habits, but to continue to be on the lookout for ways to buy out more resources.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Aaron, thanks for the post. Another tool in my kit.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Aaron, thanks for the post. Another tool in my kit.

Sure, always nice to hear someone found it useful to them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Brilliant post my friend. This deserves to be stickied.

In short this is an application of the Pareto principle and an excellent, detailed approach on how you implemented this in your life to achieve a goal.

Another tool I use to help motivation is acknowledging that there are 168 hours/week. This causes me to pause whenever I make the statement "I don't have time", when the truth is I do have time, but I have de-prioritized the activity.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Brilliant post my friend. This deserves to be stickied.

In short this is an application of the Pareto principle and an excellent, detailed approach on how you implemented this in your life to achieve a goal.

Another tool I use to help motivation is acknowledging that there are 168 hours/week. This causes me to pause whenever I make the statement "I don't have time", when the truth is I do have time, but I have de-prioritized the activity.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the Pareto principle but I certainly have no claim of originality. I came up with this on my own but I'm sure there are many many published examples of basically the same approach or concept that are likely more detailed, fleshed out and use better and more accurate word choices.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I use the Pareto principle all the time. 80% of my profits come from 20% of my effort. The rest of my freaking valuable time (80%) !! is taken up with time-sucking, demanding, princesses. For only a 20% return.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/paretoprinciple.asp

Wal-mart only has to closely watch the pricing few hundred items that consumers also watch closely. The rest of their products fly under the consumers' radar.