Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about that. I've been a 36 nearly C most of my life. When I gained this last 50#, I went up to a 40DD. From what I've read there is not alot you can really do about saggy boobs. When I was in high school, my Spanish teacher told us girls, that when she lost all weight, she had to roll her boobs up to put them in her bra. I hope that doesn't happen to me when I loose those 50+".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    It's not so much roll as hoist and smoosh. Then again, I guess that depends on how much of your boobage was actual breast tissue vs. fat. I never had massive amounts of trunk fat, but I had big boobs and there's still a decent amount of breast tissue even though I lost quite a bit of fat and deflated my already sagging boobs (breastfed two kids). These are UK sizes since I wear UK bras. I went from a 36K to a 30FF.

Since I had put on a few pounds from my lowest, the FF cup is a little tight. I hope it empties out as I take those pounds back off. I have always had a tendency to keep any weight I've gained in that area which is how I ended up a K cup. I never lost cup size post pregnancy or breastfeeding, I just had gravity take over.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm new to this concept of diet breaks. I'm going to order McDonald's book package. Looks like tons of good science based information.

5' 10" 63 years young male. Started a serious weight loss program on March 6th, 2017. Starting weight 249.5 lbs. Doing low carb (currently aiming for 10% on average). 1500 calories per day. Weighed in at 205.5 this morning. Goal weight 175 or thereabouts.

Have been considering a break when I reached 50 lbs. loss. This thread is leading me to think that it might be better to take periodic breaks based on a calendar schedule, rather than a weight loss target.

Thoughts? Advice? Thank you in advance.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm new to this concept of diet breaks. I'm going to order McDonald's book package. Looks like tons of good science based information.

5' 10" 63 years young male. Started a serious weight loss program on March 6th, 2017. Starting weight 249.5 lbs. Doing low carb (currently aiming for 10% on average). 1500 calories per day. Weighed in at 205.5 this morning. Goal weight 175 or thereabouts.

Have been considering a break when I reached 50 lbs. loss. This thread is leading me to think that it might be better to take periodic breaks based on a calendar schedule, rather than a weight loss target.

You are very much in the right place. This thread has all the advice you're likely to want, and everyone who's commented is pretty much pro-diet-break or refeed. Watch/listen to the podcast, read the whole thread (yes, it meanders, don't worry), and welcome!

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hoist and smoosh. Yeah, I know a little about that. But "hoist and smoosh" just makes me giggle. :D
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Your rate of loss up until now has been pretty good but at this point I'd lower it to 1lb per week, anything more is likely too aggressive and the older we get the more important it is to preserve lean mass. Losing slower is one way to reduce that, strength training even better so if you're not doing some by now you should start.

I think any point soon would be a great time for a diet break but can see why you want to wait until you hit the golden 50.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »
    So glad to hear everyone's refeed/diet break has been working.

Just a personal update to serve as a warning: I inadvertently went into an average surplus on the weekend due to celebratory occasions (caution: don't do this consistently lol), and going back to whatever normal schedule of training/diet I carry has dropped 4/7lbs of fluctuation spike.

Silver lining: the practice of undulating periods of highs and lows is still a way of keeping maintenance and/or having a net deficit/surplus, depending on goals. Of course, it's still very prudent not to make either undulating period too high or too low simply because it's extremely easy to trigger issues if you have them already and are recovering.

The overarching point, I think I'm trying to make is that regardless of the situation, we still have control, but that control shouldn't be so restrictive that you break, and freedom shouldn't be so uninhibited that you end up doing more harm than good. This is where "flexibility" and "moderation" lie: controlled freedom and practiced within reason.

( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ)

Ironically, your silver lining is pretty much lean gains.

Indeed, it is.. I subscribe to Martin's style. Good catch :smiley:

The absolutely simple concept of diet breaks is this: as you get leaner, more periods of maintenance eating (at your new lower weight) will smooth along the fat loss process, as well as train you to eat at a normal caloric level once dieting stops. Calendar schedules are referred to, but it almost becomes intuitive based on your response to mood, hunger, overall general outlook cues. The ultimate goal is to keep your new healthier (and relatively by extension, leaner) body for the rest of your life without risk of fat regain.

Caveat: being low carb/keto will actually put maintenance at a lower calorie intake if you choose to adhere to that macro manipulation long-term, save for the fact that coming from a larger origin of body fat % also plays a role in what dictates lower weight maintenance calories. Protein intake is also much more important to nutrition with low carb/keto levels, and the older you are, the more protein you will need.

If you developed insulin resistance and/or metabolic syndrome from being previously overweight, losing excess fat tends to improve insulin sensitivity anyway, so at leaner body weight, you should be able to process/manage carbs a bit better. Another reason to incorporate strength training, regardless of size, age, experience level, etc. You don't need to do powerlifting or bodybuilding, but perform resistance training with activities/weights that are challenging, yet doable. And slowly increase that challenge over time. You benefit by keeping muscles intact, strong, and insulin sensitive :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So glad to hear everyone's refeed/diet break has been working.

Just a personal update to serve as a warning: I inadvertently went into an average surplus on the weekend due to celebratory occasions (caution: don't do this consistently lol), and going back to whatever normal schedule of training/diet I carry has dropped 4/7lbs of fluctuation spike.

Silver lining: the practice of undulating periods of highs and lows is still a way of keeping maintenance and/or having a net deficit/surplus, depending on goals. Of course, it's still very prudent not to make either undulating period too high or too low simply because it's extremely easy to trigger issues if you have them already and are recovering.

The overarching point, I think I'm trying to make is that regardless of the situation, we still have control, but that control shouldn't be so restrictive that you break, and freedom shouldn't be so uninhibited that you end up doing more harm than good. This is where "flexibility" and "moderation" lie: controlled freedom and practiced within reason.

( ಠ ͜ʖರೃ)

Ironically, your silver lining is pretty much lean gains.

Indeed, it is.. I subscribe to Martin's style. Good catch :smiley:

His concept of leans gains has always intrigued me, albeit, I haven't done a ton of research on it for a few years now; I might explore it when I get leaner. What is interesting, and made me think about it, Lyle actually published some data recently on bulking with a super low surplus. Overall, this aligned to Martin's philosophy (surplus on lifting days, deficit on non lifting days).

ETA: Found it: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Your rate of loss up until now has been pretty good but at this point I'd lower it to 1lb per week, anything more is likely too aggressive and the older we get the more important it is to preserve lean mass. Losing slower is one way to reduce that, strength training even better so if you're not doing some by now you should start.

I think any point soon would be a great time for a diet break but can see why you want to wait until you hit the golden 50.

I have been doing some strength training along with a couple of boot camp sessions and some walking and hiking every week. Libra shows my weight loss at .5 lbs. per week, so it doesn't seem like an overly fast loss rate.

Thank you.

'
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Since we're talking boob history (I'm sure the guys don't mind)....

HOw did we end up here, lol
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for continuing on this topic, but is there any way to gain cup size through body recomp? If I ever needed an incentive to start (restart) a weight lifting program, this would be it!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »
    I'm sorry for continuing on this topic, but is there any way to gain cup size through body recomp? If I ever needed an incentive to start (restart) a weight lifting program, this would be it!

Hmmm, good question! Maybe with a bulk, then slooooooow fat loss (while getting plenty of dietary fat) after? Experiment and let us know!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Because we meander? Also, body recomposition stuff. Totally legit :p

(also, I may be just a little proud of my awesome rack...)

Pics or it didn't happen...

...... Oh wait, this isn't MFP circa 2014

We're not allowed to post undie pics ;) Vintage and GottaBurnEmAll can verify.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Hmmm, good question! Maybe with a bulk, then slooooooow fat loss (while getting plenty of dietary fat) after? Experiment and let us know!

Hmm, good idea and will explore it further. I shrank after pregnancy/breastfeeding and never regained original size (which wasn't big to begin with anyway!)... so sad.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Because we meander? Also, body recomposition stuff. Totally legit :p

(also, I may be just a little proud of my awesome rack...)

Pics or it didn't happen...

...... Oh wait, this isn't MFP circa 2014

We're not allowed to post undie pics ;) Vintage and GottaBurnEmAll can verify.

Nony's HAWT. And has great taste in lingerie.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

I'd say yes, but it may be the correlation from changes in band size? I've gone from a 38D/40C/36D over the years, now to a 34DD. (Joining me in wincing at that one...) So technically the cup size has gone up, but the band size has gone down.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I'd say yes, but it may be the correlation from changes in band size? I've gone from a 38D/40C/36D over the years, now to a 34DD. (Joining me in wincing at that one...) So technically the cup size has gone up, but the band size has gone down.

But DD is the best cup size!!