Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    So ... primary care appointment today. He thinks that indeed, it is a cortisol issue caused by some of the blood sugar issues from this summer (I was having lots of problems with hypos), the underfeeding (to use his terms), and thanks to the female triad mess, my body behaving as if it is "chemically underweight" (which I now think is the most ridiculous term ever). He feels that this is likely where my weight will settle out, which ... well, I'm torn between crying and wine.

He also set *his* bottom limit for where my weight should sit. Which is right about where I was in April, so understandably, he's not super keen on me trying to get there again. I have opinions on this.

He urged me to listen to the dietitian (whose advice mirrors this thread), and to try to trust that it's not going to skyrocket forever and ever. And it's that latter that I have an issue with right now.

Logic tells me that I should try this refeed thing for actual, but I have no idea how my body will *actually* respond.

Is it at all possible for you to stop weighing yourself to give the refeed a shot at working?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I had nothing productive to add in the rack department except enjoy the conversation.. the only rack I can relate to is for squats, and other than bouncing quarters off my *kitten*, it's completely unrelated to the last page or so haha.

In other news: just announced/released today: https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/womens-physiology/womens-maximum-muscular-potential.html/

I haven't read it yet, but there you go.

Just read. Need to re-read. Don't know that it's all that applicable to me outside of general interest. My goals are just to diet down until I'm happy and recomp until I'm happier and stay ahead of my arthritis. Nothing earth-shattering. I'm old and have too much loose skin to ever aspire to much else.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I'm sorry for continuing on this topic, but is there any way to gain cup size through body recomp? If I ever needed an incentive to start (restart) a weight lifting program, this would be it!

I'd say yes, but it may be the correlation from changes in band size? I've gone from a 38D/40C/36D over the years, now to a 34DD. (Joining me in wincing at that one...) So technically the cup size has gone up, but the band size has gone down.

Yeah, I've never considered it before because I was afraid that band size would go up while cup size remained the same. What would be the point of that...? I've always been a size B since I was 14 or so (and size 4 US band size I think) but as I said previously, my boobs have shrunk. It was fabulous when I was breastfeeding lol.

I did have a 'but what about lats development' moment with the smaller band size, but I think there's enough fat there that the two can swap out quite nicely. Fingers crossed! And obviously I'm not going to have huge muscle gains with what I do and recomping anyway.

Do update us regularly on your progress!

I do quite a bit of body weight training (for rock climbing) and I think I've got some decent muscles from this but obviously, not as much as I would have if I was doing a lifting program.

Yes, back to the topic of refeeds and diet breaks!

What's interesting from a body comp perspective (and blew my little mind) is that Nony and I have very similar measurements, though hers are now lower than mine but we share essentially the same shape and stats I am 20lbs heavier. Yay for childhood sports and adulthood dance training.

So I want to digest that new article and try to apply it to myself and if I'm near optimum already. Not fussed either way, just want to get my geek on.

I've also just read the article.

Same as what @GottaBurnEmAll said above, not sure if applicable to me. I'm generally in the first column for my height in the table he has and it would be counterproductive for me to attempt to get to the last column for what I'm more keen on doing.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    So ... primary care appointment today. He thinks that indeed, it is a cortisol issue caused by some of the blood sugar issues from this summer (I was having lots of problems with hypos), the underfeeding (to use his terms), and thanks to the female triad mess, my body behaving as if it is "chemically underweight" (which I now think is the most ridiculous term ever). He feels that this is likely where my weight will settle out, which ... well, I'm torn between crying and wine.

He also set *his* bottom limit for where my weight should sit. Which is right about where I was in April, so understandably, he's not super keen on me trying to get there again. I have opinions on this.

He urged me to listen to the dietitian (whose advice mirrors this thread), and to try to trust that it's not going to skyrocket forever and ever. And it's that latter that I have an issue with right now.

Logic tells me that I should try this refeed thing for actual, but I have no idea how my body will *actually* respond.

Is it at all possible for you to stop weighing yourself to give the refeed a shot at working?

I would like to think yes, but I also know that I don't trust the process (or my body). I used to not even have a scale, but then I freaked out, and at the next weight, saw that I'd gained 7 pounds in the year without the scale (it was not a long experiment).

If my gym had a scale, I'd feel better about it, but it doesn't -- and I'm not sure I like blindly trusting whatever provider scale (my endo's office always runs high, and I'm not sure how my PCP's scale runs) is in use.
  • maybyn
    Options

I would like to think yes, but I also know that I don't trust the process (or my body). I used to not even have a scale, but then I freaked out, and at the next weight, saw that I'd gained 7 pounds in the year without the scale (it was not a long experiment).

If my gym had a scale, I'd feel better about it, but it doesn't -- and I'm not sure I like blindly trusting whatever provider scale (my endo's office always runs high, and I'm not sure how my PCP's scale runs) is in use.

Is there a reason why you need to be at a lower weight? I think from what you've previously said in this thread, you're at 130 pounds which I think for your height is absolutely fine?

Perhaps being at a higher weight than say, 5-10 pounds less may be way easier to maintain for your body in the long run (rather than trying to exhaust yourself with restriction and extensive training).
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Is there a reason why you need to be at a lower weight? I think from what you've previously said in this thread, you're at 130 pounds which I think for your height is absolutely fine?

Perhaps being at a higher weight than say, 5-10 pounds less may be way easier to maintain for your body in the long run (rather than trying to exhaust yourself with restriction and extensive training).

Because I'm not happy at this weight. Period.

I mean, let's phrase it this way: Let's say you gain 5-10 percent of your starting weight in just six months with no explanation. Are you OK with it?

If you are, I'd be curious to know how/why and see if there are lessons I can learn from it.

If you aren't, you understand why I'm not either.
  • maybyn
    Options

I mean, let's phrase it this way: Let's say you gain 5-10 percent of your starting weight in just six months with no explanation. Are you OK with it?

If you are, I'd be curious to know how/why and see if there are lessons I can learn from it.

Sure, I asked because you said your primary carer mentioned he didn't want you to get to that low weight again.

If I had a sudden weight gain like you experienced, I'd actually be more than just feeling not happy. I'd be really scared that there was something going on with my body medically that would turn out to be something serious.

I'm glad this was not the case for you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I honestly care less about my weight. It took me to get down to 173 to be a 32" waist. Ironically, even when i stopped counting and went to 180, i stayed that size. I was lifting, so its a bit of an unintentional bulk. And while i am still striving for abs, i dont care if its at 175 or 165. Interestingly, i suspect id rather like the 175. But i am male and very emotionally disconcennect with weight. Body composition is what matters to me and what i try to get many women to also believe in. Its also why i show the below often.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

As a female, I honestly don't care what the scale says either. I care what the mirror says (or more objectively photos because apparently my mirrors lie) and I said this earlier in the thread when this was brought up but I'd be frickin' delighted if I looked how I want right now because I get to eat more and I like food. I didn't get fat not liking food. I also want to feel strong and capable and like a bit of a badass and to do that I have to look after my body. I'd also like to be able to get on the toilet and wipe my own bum into old age for as long as possible too. None of those are tied to a number on a piece of electronics.

I do get that this is not easy for some people. I also get that when you are so tied to the number that it's hard to see or even identify with the opposite attitude. Or a reluctance and denial to believe that can be true or achievable for yourself.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I honestly care less about my weight. It took me to get down to 173 to be a 32" waist. Ironically, even when i stopped counting and went to 180, i stayed that size. I was lifting, so its a bit of an unintentional bulk. And while i am still striving for abs, i dont care if its at 175 or 165. Interestingly, i suspect id rather like the 175. But i am male and very emotionally disconcennect with weight. Body composition is what matters to me and what i try to get many women to also believe in. Its also why i show the below often.

As a female, I honestly don't care what the scale says either. I care what the mirror says (or more objectively photos because apparently my mirrors lie) and I said this earlier in the thread when this was brought up but I'd be frickin' delighted if I looked how I want right now because I get to eat more and I like food. I didn't get fat not liking food. I also want to feel strong and capable and like a bit of a badass and to do that I have to look after my body. I'd also like to be able to get on the toilet and wipe my own bum into old age for as long as possible too. None of those are tied to a number on a piece of electronics.

I do get that this is not easy for some people. I also get that when you are so tied to the number that it's hard to see or even identify with the opposite attitude. Or a reluctance and denial to believe that can be true or achievable for yourself.

Yep, I too have learned not to tie myself to numbers. It took many, many years though (and as I said upthread, I do think for me getting legit fat kinda helped, though not recommending that!). I could stop here, in fact I'm now below what was goal. I'm only doing the extra 1.4 kg (!!) because I know recomp is a long road and I want a bit more fat off my thighs before I do that.

My old age thing is that I want to be hiking in the Himalayas in my 70s, not nursing broken hips.

@collectingblues, I don't think you necessarily have to be okay with it long term (that's for you and your medical team to decide), but I do think to get better you need to make peace with it for now. I know it's really hard to trust the process, but I honestly think just giving your body a break for a bit could really help. As GottaburnEmAll said, what have you got to lose at this point by giving it a go?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I know that this makes sense to no one else -- and that it's largely the ED affecting this perception. I'm seriously mind boggled that "normal" people don't care about the numbers...

It will be an interesting conversation with the dietitian on Monday.

It does make sense. My brain tells me lies about other stuff though I am able to somewhat detach myself from the wonky thoughts and know they are wonky.

And it's great you are getting treatment for the physical stuff, are you able to get help for the brainy parts of your ED?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Thanks, all. I know that this makes sense to no one else -- and that it's largely the ED affecting this perception. I'm seriously mind boggled that "normal" people don't care about the numbers...

Oh it makes sense to me. You're talking to someone who, age 20 and deep in the clutches of bulimia, cried in a nightclub powder room because she had 'gained' 2 kg. So I really do get it, and I also know that life can be better for you if you are able to find a way to detach from the numbers. (((hugs)))
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry for continuing on this topic, but is there any way to gain cup size through body recomp? If I ever needed an incentive to start (restart) a weight lifting program, this would be it!

I'd say yes, but it may be the correlation from changes in band size? I've gone from a 38D/40C/36D over the years, now to a 34DD. (Joining me in wincing at that one...) So technically the cup size has gone up, but the band size has gone down.

But DD is the best cup size!!

I've been a US size DD since I was in highschool, and I can say that I'd gladly give away that extra D to any taker if I could find a way to do it..... lol

I'm a stickler for matching pretty things (except when I'm doing sweaty exercise stuff). Part of that comes from having to wear head to toe PPE if I'm doing fieldwork. It helps to know there's pretty under the high vis and dirt :p

oh yes, the fun of PPE for field work. I know all about that! and worse still, since I am so heavy, I can't find PPE made for women - I have to buy men's.

Which brings me to a mini-rant of mine: why can't men have rear-ends?!! It is SUCH a pain trying to buy men's pants to fit a woman who has an ample rear-end! I ended up having to buy 3 sizes too big in the waist just so I could get the hips to fit!

That's one thing I'm looking so foward to - losing enough weight that I can start buying PPE made for women! lol

I actually don't buy PPE made for women, because the shirts are like, twice the price. Also in summer I want a cool wick material shirt, cos it's fricken hot in the sun all day covered to wrists and ankles, and they don't make those for women. I have the smallest size, and it's absurd. Same with my wet weather over-trousers. Then there's the fact that I haven't actually gotten around to buying new summer weight cargo pants since I lost weight, because there is nothing wrong with the ones I have, other than that they are absurdly big. I've just taken to looking like a street urchin when I'm doing fieldwork. I do have a really cool hard hat though. And pretty undergarments.

Oooh, it's just occurred to me though that a pair of heavier weight ones with the knee sleeves for gel inserts that a friend gave me that were just a smidge tight probably fit me now! *runs off to try on things*

ETA: still too tight around my ample hips.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Did only the number for weight go up - but no measurements?

Who sees you naked on your scale besides you?

How did you decide what was a good number to weigh, and that was based on....?

Is what you've been doing recently for weight loss working well still?

How long has it been working lately?

Any other numbers with your physical self that you are as .... interested .... in being at a certain number?

What are they?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I'm only borderline normal on a good day, but I do care about the numbers too, so I somewhat get where you're coming from.

But I'm older and grew up in a generation that cared about such things.

I did say that one of my goals was hitting a number, then I was going for a look, after all.

So long as the number you're aiming for is a healthy one, I don't see too much of a problem with it.

Saying that, the issue is when you pursue it relentlessly and need to reach it quickly. You have time, you know?
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I'm female and pretty disconnected with the actual number on the scale. I have a hate/love relationship with articles like these. I've been trying to lose weight since 2012, and trying to lose fat by barbell training and macros, etc for 2 years. I'm less fat but still more looking like the "before before" photos. Big fan of body comp but at this rate I doubt I will care once I get to my goal. Senior citizens usually have other concerns.