Options

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

I honestly care less about my weight. It took me to get down to 173 to be a 32" waist. Ironically, even when i stopped counting and went to 180, i stayed that size. I was lifting, so its a bit of an unintentional bulk. And while i am still striving for abs, i dont care if its at 175 or 165. Interestingly, i suspect id rather like the 175. But i am male and very emotionally disconcennect with weight. Body composition is what matters to me and what i try to get many women to also believe in. Its also why i show the below often.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I'm female and pretty disconnected with the actual number on the scale. I have a hate/love relationship with articles like these. I've been trying to lose weight since 2012, and trying to lose fat by barbell training and macros, etc for 2 years. I'm less fat but still more looking like the "before before" photos. Big fan of body comp but at this rate I doubt I will care once I get to my goal. Senior citizens usually have other concerns.

A couple of thoughts. First, I took a look at your profile and profile pic, while it's not very revealing, it's obvious you are at a decent weight and have been hitting your goals over time. Congrats!

So I doubt you look more like the "before" than after pics. You are doing the right things with weight training and diet and refeeds and diet breaks can certainly aid you in that process.

You refer to yourself as a Senior Citizen. I couldn't tell your age and it's not in your profile. I am 66 and I'm just plain in denial about the whole "Senior" thing. I still am working towards being a sexypants despite having all adult children and a grandchild. I am at the lowest weight and in the best physical condition than I've been since my 30s.

I do have some different priorities at my age but one of them is to be as vital and healthy as I can for as long as I can to enjoy my family, especially grandchildren, the one I have and ones to come in the future and keeping enjoying and doing what I love. Cooking, family and friends, playing music, flyfishing, traveling. As far as the age thing goes, I kind of think of it as the movie title,"No Retreat, No Surrender!

Yeah my bitterness shone right through on that one, sorry. I'm at 5-10 pounds above the healthy BMI and probably 30% body fat. I'm also extremely impatient apparently. I should probably change my mindset about it, eh?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I honestly care less about my weight. It took me to get down to 173 to be a 32" waist. Ironically, even when i stopped counting and went to 180, i stayed that size. I was lifting, so its a bit of an unintentional bulk. And while i am still striving for abs, i dont care if its at 175 or 165. Interestingly, i suspect id rather like the 175. But i am male and very emotionally disconcennect with weight. Body composition is what matters to me and what i try to get many women to also believe in. Its also why i show the below often.

I'm female and pretty disconnected with the actual number on the scale. I have a hate/love relationship with articles like these. I've been trying to lose weight since 2012, and trying to lose fat by barbell training and macros, etc for 2 years. I'm less fat but still more looking like the "before before" photos. Big fan of body comp but at this rate I doubt I will care once I get to my goal. Senior citizens usually have other concerns.

A couple of thoughts. First, I took a look at your profile and profile pic, while it's not very revealing, it's obvious you are at a decent weight and have been hitting your goals over time. Congrats!

So I doubt you look more like the "before" than after pics. You are doing the right things with weight training and diet and refeeds and diet breaks can certainly aid you in that process.

You refer to yourself as a Senior Citizen. I couldn't tell your age and it's not in your profile. I am 66 and I'm just plain in denial about the whole "Senior" thing. I still am working towards being a sexypants despite having all adult children and a grandchild. I am at the lowest weight and in the best physical condition than I've been since my 30s.

I do have some different priorities at my age but one of them is to be as vital and healthy as I can for as long as I can to enjoy my family, especially grandchildren, the one I have and ones to come in the future and keeping enjoying and doing what I love. Cooking, family and friends, playing music, flyfishing, traveling. As far as the age thing goes, I kind of think of it as the movie title,"No Retreat, No Surrender!

Well said gramps!

:p
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Yeah my bitterness shone right through on that one, sorry. I'm at 5-10 pounds above the healthy BMI and probably 30% body fat. I'm also extremely impatient apparently. I should probably change my mindset about it, eh?

Meh, we all have our moments of frustration. I think you've done great! One day at a time. But, yes our mindsets are usually our biggest limiter. It is an ongoing march towards progress like Vintage said.

And Vintage, who you calling old?? :D
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

NGL. I'm 55. I didn't know whether to laugh hysterically or cry. On the same day, I got one of *those* pm's here on MFP from some random dude and went into Dunkin Donuts and the clerk rang me up with the senior citizen discount :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I don't even have wrinkles yet, I just have salt and pepper hair!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    To the topic of diet breaks, mine has been a failure. I got sideswiped by a nasty migraine which is on its third day hitting me with nausea. Needless to say my appetite has been tanked due to that and I just haven't been up to eating at maintenance calories because of that.

I'm going to call the days I managed to eat at maintenance a refeed and just do the diet break sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I have an appointment with my endocrinologist next week to see if my thyroid is off because this fatigue (which could also be migraine related) is just not letting go.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    maybyn wrote: »
    So ... primary care appointment today. He thinks that indeed, it is a cortisol issue caused by some of the blood sugar issues from this summer (I was having lots of problems with hypos), the underfeeding (to use his terms), and thanks to the female triad mess, my body behaving as if it is "chemically underweight" (which I now think is the most ridiculous term ever). He feels that this is likely where my weight will settle out, which ... well, I'm torn between crying and wine.

He also set *his* bottom limit for where my weight should sit. Which is right about where I was in April, so understandably, he's not super keen on me trying to get there again. I have opinions on this.

He urged me to listen to the dietitian (whose advice mirrors this thread), and to try to trust that it's not going to skyrocket forever and ever. And it's that latter that I have an issue with right now.

Logic tells me that I should try this refeed thing for actual, but I have no idea how my body will *actually* respond.

Is it at all possible for you to stop weighing yourself to give the refeed a shot at working?

I would like to think yes, but I also know that I don't trust the process (or my body). I used to not even have a scale, but then I freaked out, and at the next weight, saw that I'd gained 7 pounds in the year without the scale (it was not a long experiment).

If my gym had a scale, I'd feel better about it, but it doesn't -- and I'm not sure I like blindly trusting whatever provider scale (my endo's office always runs high, and I'm not sure how my PCP's scale runs) is in use.

Is there a reason why you need to be at a lower weight? I think from what you've previously said in this thread, you're at 130 pounds which I think for your height is absolutely fine?

Perhaps being at a higher weight than say, 5-10 pounds less may be way easier to maintain for your body in the long run (rather than trying to exhaust yourself with restriction and extensive training).

Because I'm not happy at this weight. Period.

I mean, let's phrase it this way: Let's say you gain 5-10 percent of your starting weight in just six months with no explanation. Are you OK with it?

If you are, I'd be curious to know how/why and see if there are lessons I can learn from it.

If you aren't, you understand why I'm not either.

Did only the number for weight go up - but no measurements?

Who sees you naked on your scale besides you?

How did you decide what was a good number to weigh, and that was based on....?

Is what you've been doing recently for weight loss working well still?

How long has it been working lately?

Any other numbers with your physical self that you are as .... interested .... in being at a certain number?

What are they?

In order ...

1) Well, some slight fluctuations in measurements. But I don't believe for a minute that in the absence of dedicated strength training -- and between running, swimming, barre, and spin, I'm not adding one more thing in -- that one can possibly gain 10 more pounds without measurements increasing.

2) Does that matter? I see me. I have to live with me.

3) Because it's where I felt more marginally comfortable. I like the size I fit into at this weight. I like that I feel more comfortable with fluctuations at that weight. I was finally out of double digit sizes. I could finally take a selfie and not feel horrible and ugly. Like hell am I going back to a higher weight again.

4 and 5) Well, that's the problem.

6) I'd like to see the body fat reduce, but that's not the priority. I have a running time that I'd like to hit -- and ironically, my "ideal" running weight according to several online calculators is where I was pre-May.

I don't expect anyone who has never dealt with body dysmorphia or an eating disorder to get it. But that's my reality.

I guess my only closing remark would be that if you/anyone could give me peer-reviewed work or anything even close to that that says nope, that ugly number from Monday is where things top out, and on average you gain X pounds, then I'd be on board.

But I can't find anyone who is willing or able to do that. So while I believe whole heartedly in this in concept, I'm not willing to adapt it in self until I've got the data showing me that things will not skyrocket.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Morning!! It's Caturday, which means Refeed Round 5, last one for this cycle, then diet break starting next weekend. Food is all logged for the day, I'm very excited to use my new pizza stone for dinner. Hoping exercise won't involve cat wrangling again. Little boy came home from his hospital stay yesterday, all seemed well, but he's doing the frequent litter box visit thing again already, and I'm not sure if that's from the muscle relaxants or if I need to worry. He also won't eat his damn food, so I may need to go old school on pilling. Ought to be fun. He let the vets pill him orally, but he was also quite high on pain meds there.

Not yet fully caffeinated for anything more intelligent than that.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Bit of perspective from me. I started at 220lbs or there abouts. That was 2.5 years ago. And I am still 10lbs from healthy BMI and 20lbs give or take from goal. And somewhere between those two numbers i will switch to a small deficit for recomp and then maintenance with recomp. So it will likely be 3 years before I hit what was ultimately my first goal. 3 years.

Would I have liked to get there faster? Of course. Especially as I am nudging 36 now. But this has now become a lifelong project. I'm not going to hit a number and be "woohoo, I'm done!" because I will never be done. There's always something to improve, even as you get old like mmapags is! (He knows this is tongue in cheek).

We all tend to get caught up in the short term, we're all impatient but sometimes you just have to let it be what it is and settle into a rhythm that works without losing sight or progress, however small.

I'm motivated by @middlehaitch, who started a very relaxed recomp when she was my age and is now several years older and has magnificent results to show for it.

If I'm not mistaken, it's seven years later for her.

She is a sterling example of what patience, persistence, and being relaxed and staying on path while time passes can do.'

The thing for me is that I have limitations to what I can do, so nothing for me is going to come quickly. Heavy lifting is out, but I've seen encouraging studies posted recently on the effectiveness of volume training at lower weights, which is what I do. So I'm encouraged.

Trying to work on that patience!

I'm not sure I could even admit my age after my comment.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    maybyn wrote: »
    So ... primary care appointment today. He thinks that indeed, it is a cortisol issue caused by some of the blood sugar issues from this summer (I was having lots of problems with hypos), the underfeeding (to use his terms), and thanks to the female triad mess, my body behaving as if it is "chemically underweight" (which I now think is the most ridiculous term ever). He feels that this is likely where my weight will settle out, which ... well, I'm torn between crying and wine.

He also set *his* bottom limit for where my weight should sit. Which is right about where I was in April, so understandably, he's not super keen on me trying to get there again. I have opinions on this.

He urged me to listen to the dietitian (whose advice mirrors this thread), and to try to trust that it's not going to skyrocket forever and ever. And it's that latter that I have an issue with right now.

Logic tells me that I should try this refeed thing for actual, but I have no idea how my body will *actually* respond.

Is it at all possible for you to stop weighing yourself to give the refeed a shot at working?

I would like to think yes, but I also know that I don't trust the process (or my body). I used to not even have a scale, but then I freaked out, and at the next weight, saw that I'd gained 7 pounds in the year without the scale (it was not a long experiment).

If my gym had a scale, I'd feel better about it, but it doesn't -- and I'm not sure I like blindly trusting whatever provider scale (my endo's office always runs high, and I'm not sure how my PCP's scale runs) is in use.

Is there a reason why you need to be at a lower weight? I think from what you've previously said in this thread, you're at 130 pounds which I think for your height is absolutely fine?

Perhaps being at a higher weight than say, 5-10 pounds less may be way easier to maintain for your body in the long run (rather than trying to exhaust yourself with restriction and extensive training).

Because I'm not happy at this weight. Period.

I mean, let's phrase it this way: Let's say you gain 5-10 percent of your starting weight in just six months with no explanation. Are you OK with it?

If you are, I'd be curious to know how/why and see if there are lessons I can learn from it.

If you aren't, you understand why I'm not either.

Did only the number for weight go up - but no measurements?

Who sees you naked on your scale besides you?

How did you decide what was a good number to weigh, and that was based on....?

Is what you've been doing recently for weight loss working well still?

How long has it been working lately?

Any other numbers with your physical self that you are as .... interested .... in being at a certain number?

What are they?

In order ...

1) Well, some slight fluctuations in measurements. But I don't believe for a minute that in the absence of dedicated strength training -- and between running, swimming, barre, and spin, I'm not adding one more thing in -- that one can possibly gain 10 more pounds without measurements increasing.

2) Does that matter? I see me. I have to live with me.

3) Because it's where I felt more marginally comfortable. I like the size I fit into at this weight. I like that I feel more comfortable with fluctuations at that weight. I was finally out of double digit sizes. I could finally take a selfie and not feel horrible and ugly. Like hell am I going back to a higher weight again.

4 and 5) Well, that's the problem.

6) I'd like to see the body fat reduce, but that's not the priority. I have a running time that I'd like to hit -- and ironically, my "ideal" running weight according to several online calculators is where I was pre-May.

I don't expect anyone who has never dealt with body dysmorphia or an eating disorder to get it. But that's my reality.

I guess my only closing remark would be that if you/anyone could give me peer-reviewed work or anything even close to that that says nope, that ugly number from Monday is where things top out, and on average you gain X pounds, then I'd be on board.

But I can't find anyone who is willing or able to do that. So while I believe whole heartedly in this in concept, I'm not willing to adapt it in self until I've got the data showing me that things will not skyrocket.

So the only thing where the raw weight actually makes a difference - and that is running pace.

The other things you mention ("see me", "like the size", "double digit sizes","take a selfie") are about size - and size is not always correlated with weight - hardly.

But you are right - until you get the counseling that creates that ah-ha moment or a way to deal with disconnecting things not connected in reality - you'll have problems.

Considering 20 lbs water weight gain is usually maxed talked about purely from cortisol - one would have to know exactly how much you have gained of it already to know what your potential max is.
    But the eating more should help body relax stress - but it sounds like you could more than make up for that, so probably no help.

So one study showed that it took a group on extreme diet, eating at new measured maintenance level, to gain back some of their lost TDEE of 496, back up to only 275 cal below expected - 3 months.

So it appears that body can start doing some slight recovery just eating at new suppressed TDEE.
    Which means it increased almost 200 cal in 3 months.
    Sadly you aren't in research study to be measured out the whazoo to confirm where suppressed TDEE is, you could possibly eat less and suppress more.

So stick where you are at for 3 months then.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    [My old age thing is that I want to be hiking in the Himalayas in my 70s, not nursing broken hips.

I had a great-great-great(?) aunt (my great grandmother's generation, I think she was) who went hiking in the Swiss Alps when she was in her 90's. She was quite the spit-fire and a great inspiration!

Thanks, all. I know that this makes sense to no one else -- and that it's largely the ED affecting this perception. I'm seriously mind boggled that "normal" people don't care about the numbers...

It will be an interesting conversation with the dietitian on Monday.

And I think, too, it's today modern culture as well. We're trained from an early age to focus on a magic number as being the cutoff for healthy versus non-healthy, and modern medical insurance practices don't help that mentality at all.

I'm 37, and can remember being even a child and having numbers thrust at me by my pediatrician when I starting gaining a lot of weight at puberty. First it was the ideal height/weight chart for children that I was shown - my trend line was of course well above the average for my age and height. Then in my early college years, it was the BMI. Lately, it's been waist circumference.

I've even seen folks here at MFP flatly state that if you can't get below 25 BMI or have a waist circumference below 35", then you could not possibly call yourself healthy - in fact, they felt you had to get to the middle of the healthy BMI range and stated emphatically that a woman in a US size 16W should not be considered average or healthy.

I started at a 57 BMI and a 55" waist in January. I still have trouble believing it to be realistic to think I'll get to a 25 BMI and a 35" waist - and getting into a US size 16W would be a tears-of-disbelief-and-joy moment for me. At this point, I've been ecstatic to hit 24W!

You guys are right, though - It would be a whole lot easier to win this battle to lose weight if I could find a way to disassociate my success from a weight number alone and could learn to focus better on health and how I look/feel instead.
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    So my first attempt at a two day refeed seems to have been successful. Last Saturday and Sunday I increased my calories to 2300 each day. Monday I dropped back to my deficit level at 1700. (I'm 5'7 and 33, still nursing my 1-year old). Last Friday's weight was 187.2 lbs. and this morning was 185.0 lbs. I've also tried to increase my protein to at least 90g per day.

I'm still tweaking the numbers a bit. I had expected to lose about a pound this week but maybe my math was off? I'll probably try the same numbers again this weekend just to see how it goes. (I have two birthday parties to go to and I do love birthday cake).

I'm wondering if anyone has seen or felt any changes in mood as a result of refeeds and diet breaks? I struggle with anxiety and depression and right now there's a lot going on in my home situation adding to it, so I'm curious if anyone else has felt an improvement in mood?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    ^^Yes, was going to say this about the weight loss too.