Less alcohol - Nov 2017 - one day at a time

Replies

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    I've been doing this too. I'll usually just drink wine on the weekends, but if I open a bottle, I'm apt to finish the whole bottle in one evening. This then lowers my inhibitions about evening snacking and the next thing I know I'm scarfing down candy corn or some chips in giant handfuls. So now, I just have a cup of peppermint tea in the evenings and pretend it's wine/dessert.

Love peppermint tea!
  • naomiday85
    naomiday85 Posts: 38 Member
    I had my first cigarette in a week today after a *kitten* morning. It started great and then slowly went bad, feel more annoyed that I gave in to that “urge” another day...
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    11/1-2 oz rye whiskey
    11/2-15 oz Pinot Noir
    11/3- nothing
    11/4- too much wine
    11/5-nothing
    11/6-nothing
    11/7- nothing
    11/8- 5 oz Chardonay and 2oz rye whiskey

Finished my wine with dinner last night as planned. My husband came home around 11 last night after being out of town since Monday. I was expecting to be in bed, but since I was awake, I had a night cap with him. Not feeling too guilty about it since it still keeps me within my planned limits, but it does cut into what I can have for the rest of the week. Probably a good thing since I have a half marathon on Sunday that i would like to run well.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    CF8746 wrote: »
    Day 9 of alcohol abstinence. Evenings are tough. I’m used to happy hour in my house after work and workout. I think it’s not just the alcohol but the ritual of making a pretty cocktail or pouring a lovely glass of wine that I crave. I’ve taken to pouring a glass of flavored La Croix instead. Then I have a cup of herbal tea before bed instead of another cocktail or port. It’s not as sexy but it’s definitely healthier. Let’s see if I can keep this up until Thanksgiving!

Same here. The habits and rituals are what make it hard! I find if I can make it past dinner, I'm good. I go for chai or cinnamon tea after, while I watch sappy chick flicks, especially now that it is feeling like fall!
    I've recently found some yummy flavored sparkling water at Target. Their Simply Made brand has some good flavors. I like the Ginger Peach, although I can't taste any ginger in it.

I'm hoping to make it to Thanksgiving, too. But y'all send positive thoughts my way on Saturday. I have a party to go to! First instance of a major social situation. I haven't decided if I'll have a glass of wine or two or not. I kinda want to keep up the momentum until Thanksgiving and am feeling pretty proud of myself for going 8 days without!

I agree about the rituals. I also have tried that ginger peach sparkling water form Target. I agree that it's good, but not much ginger. Good luck this weekend at your party. You got this!
  • Westschmeis
    Westschmeis Posts: 350 Member
    No alcohol today, but my wine order did not arrive either.
    Bigger challenge in the near future.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    7 Days in.
    Big deal for me. I honestly don't think I've gone this long without drinking at least one glass of wine in years unless I was sick or hungover.

My regular pattern:
    Hey, I'd like a glass while I cook.
    Well, I have to have one with dinner.
    Now, a glass of wine on the sofa to relax.
    Well, heck, there's only one glass left, may as well have it while I watch this movie.
    Boom. I just drank a bottle of wine on a Tuesday night.

Then the weekends were more of the same, plus.
    My poor liver. And I packed on the pounds.

A week sober, and I haven't noticed any weight loss, but my tummy is much less bloated!

• KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Wow! So impressed with everyone posting here!
    Just realized that we are 1/3 of the way through November already!!!
    While for me I think it will remain a day by day thing, for sure I am way down consumption wise than last month which was the primary objective. I think I am likely down to about 50% but I am too disorganized to actually track it 100%

How is every body else doing 1/3 of the way through???

Day by day we can do this!!
  • IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    This is fantastic! Maybe I can make this day one. I have no power to "cut back"...Its all or nothing for me.
  • naomiday85
    I started late and had prosecco/cider last Friday. Absolutely no alcohol all week even after failing my driving test yesterday, definite brownie points to myself for that for sure!
  • ali3boys
    ali3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Woot woot !!! Made it all week with no alcohol; wasn't even trying until last night I really wanted a glass of wine with dinner (LOVE wine with food) but realized if I hung in there one more day I made it to Friday :-) which technically is still the week day I suppose; but I think of it more as the weekend ... Lol either way ... I'm a happy girl.
  • ali3boys
    ali3boys Posts: 84 Member
    lporter229 wrote: »
    11/1-2 oz rye whiskey
    11/2-15 oz Pinot Noir
    11/3- nothing
    11/4- too much wine
    11/5-nothing
    11/6-nothing
    11/7- nothing
    11/8- 5 oz Chardonay and 2oz rye whiskey
    11/9-5 oz Pinot Noir

I don't know that I can say that I am doing great, but I do know that the accountability of this thread has kept me form having that second glass most nights, so I'll take it.

I hear ya ... Same
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited November 2017
    I had three yesterday, but I’ve cut back the size of my drinks.

2 6oz wine
    1 2oz dirty martini (only 105 calories!)

For me, I’m mostly worried ab cutting actual alcohol, but for anyone worried mostly ab calories, I was very surprised that vermouth has 25 calories per oz, and is 16%, while most wine is 12% and ab 35 calories per oz. I might try a fake dirty martini w just vermouth and some olive juice lol.
  • cshern
    cshern Posts: 55 Member
    I'm in!

I have over 100 lbs to lose, so cutting out alcohol entirely has made a big difference.

Even though I'm just now seeing this discussion thread, I've been alcohol-free since October 21.

I like the idea of being able to have a drink on a holiday occasion and just account for it in calories. However, I'm a bit afraid that just one drink will lead to bad decisions.
  • naomiday85
    5cheetahs wrote: »
    I've managed to limit myself to 2 glasses of wine each evening. Awesome job to everyone who has cut back completely! I'm not quite there yet. Baby steps for me.
    2 glasses in my house is a bottle...
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    This thread , I agree, has made me more aware of consumption. Today, I had one wine with dinner instead of 2-3. Little steps. Eventually would love to quit entirely. Someone said in an earlier thread that with them its all or nothing. I'm a bit like that especially if I go out with friends, there is no off switch after I get started. So, I have limited my evening activities so I can just chill at home.