Glute Imbalance and Scapular Winging

Replies

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited November 2017
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    If this thread wasn’t so long in time and words I would swear it was a troll.

Exactly.

I cringe at the thought if people thinking special stretches or exercises are needed for glute activation for a barbell squat.

Well, if you have better advice on how to activate a lazy glute, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'm just going to keep working with my chiropractor and doing whats helped so far.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Glad to hear you've finally found some treatment for your problem. Any serious lifter will know the importance of sound body mechanics. Imbalances will expose themselves as you push harder and go heavier. I've found a left lower back muscle over activation but so far I've managed it by adjusting my stance and grip when squatting and deadlifting.
    I also have been wearing orthotics which have helped my pronation and knee stability. Now I have a left bicep that's giving me trouble!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Dern420 wrote: »
    Okiludy wrote: »
    If this thread wasn’t so long in time and words I would swear it was a troll.

Exactly.

I cringe at the thought if people thinking special stretches or exercises are needed for glute activation for a barbell squat.

Well, if you have better advice on how to activate a lazy glute, then I'm all ears. Until then, I'm just going to keep working with my chiropractor and doing whats helped so far.

Do barbell low bar squats and deadlifts with good form, the glutes will activate just fine.

Also don't listen to a chiropractor, they don't have the proper understanding of strength training or how the body adapts.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    If you do a squat with proper form you have to activate your glute. Touchy feely stuff aside if your muscle contracts then it activated. Lazy glute stuff that I can find on the internet approaches Doc Oz in its quakery. Not one peer-reviewed article that actually makes sense.

The leg length imbalance could cause you issues but not sure how much. I had surgery on my ankle and my gait is different from that surgery. It doesn't affect me much and if it was more extreme I'd just get a shoe repair place to shim my squat shoes the difference in length.

Going to a chiropractor stimulates the economy and might make you feel better in the short term but I doubt it has any long-term change in your body.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited November 2017
    I've obviously already tried squatting and deadlifting with good form. I used to lift, but I had to stop because I wasn't feeling right. I can't even squat properly with zero added weight. My body tends to lean towards the right as I descend, and I can only feel my right glute activate. I attached some videos below so you can see what I mean.

When I bench press, I feel a lot of stress on my left biceps, rather than on the pecs. The result is a faint pain in my left arm. I know I have scapular winging in my left side, so I'm trying to release the scap so that I can do basic Y's, T's, and V's to strengthen it, resulting in a stronger pinch of the shoulder blades during the bench.

Also, I've been doing one-legged squats on the left leg almost everyday with proper form (I just have an extremely low range of motion right now, because I'm only descending until my knees are overtop of my toes). I feel more glute activation than before (although I'm still getting some hip activation which is bothering me a bit). Nevertheless, I know and feel that I'm improving.

Lastly, regarding the shoe modifications. A physio once gave me a half inch insole raise to put in my shoe, and I was wearing it for awhile, and squatting in it, but I wasn't feeling that it was helping. The orthotics is going to target the leg length discrepancy along with the pronation, which is causing me to walk inwards and put more pressure on my right foot as a result.

Email from my chiro: The orthotics are required for your leg length discrepancy which in part has a role in your muscular imbalances. They are required to balance your legs and pelvis to prevent further problems in your kinetic chain.
  • Chieflrg
    edited November 2017
    Do barbell low bar squats and deadlifts with good form, the glutes will activate just fine.

These are high bar squats, known to use quads more than glutes.

Do a low bar squat with weight where your form is good but challenging and your glutes will have to fire.

Vid from side AND back and post afterwards.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmNPOjaGrVE

If you don't know the low bar.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited December 2017
    How do I low-bar squat without hurting my wrists?

I remember doing low-bar squats back in the spring of 2015 with my trainer then, but I had to stop because of how much it was straining my arms and wrists, not to mention it felt like the bar was going to fall off my back at any given time because of how low it was.

I tried in the gym today with a 20lb bar, but it caused pain in my left wrist and sent a fuzzy feeling down my arm (result of scapular winging, maybe?). Experimented with different grips, but to no avail.

Tried squatting high-bar, and glutes felt ok. Fired evenly for the most part, except for a few reps where I could still feel the right glute working harder than the left. But overall, I am pretty satisfied with how far I've come. I find I can't go ATG or else I start to get butt wink. Gonna try going heavier next time in order to see if my imbalance will become accentuated as a result.

Also, I have the orthotics in my low-top converse now, and they make walking feel very weird. Definitely going to take some time getting used to. Feels like there's an arch in my left heel as I walk and stand. I think it's making a difference though.

Last but not least, my left-single-legged squat is improving daily. Low ROM still, but I can definitely feel the left glute activate, especially when I'm focusing on pushing from the heel. Doing 30+ reps a day using a chair or pole for balance, and then trying to do some without any balance at all. Once I can do a ton comfortable without any support (like I can do on my right), I think my two-legged squat will become incredibly balanced as a result.
  • Chieflrg
    Using a thumb over bar grip will help with wrist pain. Though there are several causes of wrist pain that might show if you post a vid like I prevIusly requested. The vid will show much more than what you think is happening and is more time efficient for all of us.

If the bar felt like it was going to fall off back, then I would first look at your bar placement along with how tight your upper back was.

ATG squats actually utilize less glutes because it shortens the tension on the hamstrings. You will be better off going to or just below parallel with the low bar.

Your wasting your time with single legs. If you want to get better at back squats, then practice back squats not a lesser unefficient movement.
    As mentioned previously you will get full glute activation by low bar squatting.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Your wasting your time with single legs. If you want to get better at back squats, then practice back squats not a lesser unefficient movement.

fwiw i have found isolation work to be useful in more than one situation where a specific muscle has shut down and will not fire appropriately within the overall context of a more compound movement. the longer a dysfunctional pattern has been going on, the more crafty my nervous system gets at recruiting compensators and disguising the fact from both outside eyes and my own perceptions.

to me unilateral work is just another version of isolating something in order to coax it to get back online. i don't think it is inefficient necessarily. it depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what your starting conditions are.
  • Chieflrg

fwiw i have found isolation work to be useful in more than one situation where a specific muscle has shut down and will not fire appropriately within the overall context of a more compound movement. the longer a dysfunctional pattern has been going on, the more crafty my nervous system gets at recruiting compensators and disguising the fact from both outside eyes and my own perceptions.

to me unilateral work is just another version of isolating something in order to coax it to get back online. i don't think it is inefficient necessarily. it depends on what you're trying to accomplish and what your starting conditions are.

So you theory of what you think isolation work has done for you will make the OP a better squatter with glute activation than actually doing the proven barbell movement that 100% of the time when done properly will activate the glutes in a more efficient manner?

Isolation movements take at least the same amount of time as a compound movements yet works less muscles and is less effective of causing stress to drive adaptation to progress for strength. That is the definition of inefficiency.

No. Let's start from square one and see if what is wrong with the movement first before we step backwards. So far we know the OP doesn't know how to execute a low bar correctly. Let's see what is wrong, and make adjustments...not do a different exercise and then assess.

One can get parallel with good form low bar squatting in ten minutes with a competent coach/trainer in person.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    So you theory of what you think isolation work has done for you will make the OP a better squatter with glute activation than actually doing the proven barbell movement that 100% of the time when done properly will activate the glutes in a more efficient manner?

i'm actually trying to avoid writing prescriptions for the op, a person i've never met and really don't have any business dictating things for. i mentioned my own experience personally; and as far as that goes it isn't theory. it's been, well . . . experience.
  • Chieflrg

i'm actually trying to avoid writing prescriptions for the op, a person i've never met and really don't have any business dictating things for. i mentioned my own experience personally; and as far as that goes it isn't theory. it's been, well . . . experience.
    fwiw i have found isolation work to be useful in more than one situation where a specific muscle has shut down and will not fire appropriately within the overall context of a more compound movement.
    How might I ask that you determined on more than one occasion that your "muscle shut down and was not firing." ?

That sounds like a very specific diagnosis that might spew from a random gym trainer, physical therapist without barbell experience, or the likes of a chiropractor.

• darreneatschicken
    edited January 2018
    My left single-legged squat is gradually improving and I can now do them without holding on to anything for balance. It is still harder to do it than on my right side, but at least I can feel the glute activating now.

However, I tried squatting 10-12 reps of 20 and 30 lbs the other day with two legs and the day after, I felt a burning sensation running down my left leg. Had to stretch to relieve the faint nagging pain.

During the weighted two-legged squat, I felt ok. Some reps were off because I focused too much on my left glute, and thus, could only feel it firing. Some reps I felt only the right firing. When I focused on pushing from my heels, that's when I got the best results (both glutes firing evenly).

Probably not gonna exceed 10 lbs when doing the two-legged squats.

I also need new shoes. I'm squatting right now with low-top Chuck Taylor's, and the orthotics makes it feel like my feet are gonna pop out of the shoe (because of the heel lift).

Chiropractor recommended I get running shoes to wear with the orthotics, but after doing some research, I feel like lifting shoes would be a better investment. Just emailed him inquiring more, and his response to me was this:

"1. Because of the biomechanics of your feet I suggested if you are doing squats wear an athletic shoe with the orthotics in it...as opposed to bare feet.

2. As such a good running shoe in which you can place the orthotics is the best universal option.

3. If you care to purchase squatting shoes that is up to you but they are not the best for other daily activities."