What your opinion on the keto diet?

Options

Replies

• trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I low carbed (not keto, though) for ten years back in the day.

I found it wasn't sustainable over the long term as a life-long dietary pattern I could follow.

Keto most definitely wouldn't work for me for a variety of reasons. I have familial hypercholesterolemia, and it's contraindicated for people with my condition. Not only that, I don't find fat satiating and I find that a high fat diet gives me indigestion and heart burn.

Just not my thing.

For people who are satisfied with the food choices and eat at the upper end of carbohydrate levels to ensure adequate vegetable consumption, I think keto can be a decent enough choice. I think for a lot of them, regular low carbing with a less strict carb level would probably be a more viable and pleasant alternative that would allow for more nutritious foods in the diet (more vegetable choices).

I also have the familial hyperlemia (type 2 from genetic testing) and wondered how keto would affect that. So it did raise your levels? Curious what the doc prescribed for you as I could not tolerate the meds I was given. Thanks!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    trackme wrote: »
    I low carbed (not keto, though) for ten years back in the day.

I found it wasn't sustainable over the long term as a life-long dietary pattern I could follow.

Keto most definitely wouldn't work for me for a variety of reasons. I have familial hypercholesterolemia, and it's contraindicated for people with my condition. Not only that, I don't find fat satiating and I find that a high fat diet gives me indigestion and heart burn.

Just not my thing.

For people who are satisfied with the food choices and eat at the upper end of carbohydrate levels to ensure adequate vegetable consumption, I think keto can be a decent enough choice. I think for a lot of them, regular low carbing with a less strict carb level would probably be a more viable and pleasant alternative that would allow for more nutritious foods in the diet (more vegetable choices).

I also have the familial hyperlemia (type 2 from genetic testing) and wondered how keto would affect that. So it did raise your levels? Curious what the doc prescribed for you as I could not tolerate the meds I was given. Thanks!

I didn't do well either, but have had good response with diet and a lot of exercise. I don't tolerate supplemental omega 3's either.

A keto diet would be awful because it's high in saturated fat. That's contraindicated with FH.

• grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Keto is great for thee, not for me.

Every time I pass a police officer on the road who has someone stopped/pulled over, I always think to myself "Better thee than me". :lol:

Orphia wrote: »
    You want my opinion?

It seems Keto's a cult around here.

I think it needlessly complicates CICO for the vast majority of people.

Amen.

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    3ymobc6atsch.gif
    Waiting....
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I haven’t tried it and don’t really plan to ever try it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it and it sounds horrible to me. I did a lo carb diet in the past and actually kept the weight off for about 6 years. Eating more carbs in a food situation in which I had no control over for 2 weeks, ended that since it was eat carbs or nothing.

About 30 years ago a young med student told me about ketosis. It was something extreme according to him that had to be done under doctor's supervision and it was TEMPORARY. it turns me off completely to think of doing it in the first place on my own and second ly that I know I couldn't stick to it. I've lost 30 lbs. So far by counting calories and don't have to eliminate any foods for weight loss. Keto just sounds terrible to me.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend low carbs. I like fruit too much to go full keto. Grains are unnecessary for everyday foods. Fruits, veggies, grass fed meat, eggs, cheese, fish, seafood, nuts, seeds, seaweeds, and mushrooms are most of the foods I eat. Exercise is very important as well, like walking and weightlifting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'd recommend low carbs. I like fruit too much to go full keto. Grains are unnecessary for everyday foods. Fruits, veggies, grass fed meat, eggs, cheese, fish, seafood, nuts, seeds, seaweeds, and mushrooms are most of the foods I eat. Exercise is very important as well, like walking and weightlifting.

Just to point out, no specific food is necessary for everyday foods.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Just to point out, no specific food is necessary for everyday foods.

I guess that's true. I'm pretty much against grains most of the time but I do eat them when traveling.
  • kiracookie
    kiracookie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to stick to the strictness of Keto than I do just trying to calorie control. I lost a stone in 3 weeks but then completely stalled and couldn’t lose any more (even over 3 months). Iv come off it now and gone back to eating a normal diet but trying to stick to calories with exercise.