Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Replies

• Sp8zmanSpiff
    Sp8zmanSpiff Posts: 57 Member
    Hi, Not sure if the OP is even reading this anymore.

I see you are having a crisis of faith during class where you are learning things and trying to balance what you are learning with what you have learned/observed in the world.

After the class is over, you will be expected to apply what you have learned in the class. This may be difficult if you do not believe in the what is being taught.

I had not heard of Leaky Gut Syndrome and looked it up on the Internet and was eventually guided to a Wikipedia page listing of pseudoscientific beliefs and that page included Leaky Gut Syndrome, among others that I knew about, like ear-candling, and others that I thought were real, like Meyers-Briggs Personality Types (INTJ here).

What is your motivation for taking the class? Maybe there is another class you can take if you want to help people become healthy through diet choices.

Good Luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Holistically, (mentally, socially, etc.) the effects of food industries that propagate engineered foods and carb-dependent messaging and creating millions of patients with poor health and obesity, who then are treated based on poor or inaccurate health information, has had a devastating effect on their collective health.

Most "food industry" foods (even if we ignore the meat and dairy industries and focus on ultra processed foods) are a mix of fat and carbs, primarily, and only a particular subset of carbs. Calling eating these "carb dependency" is ridiculous, as is ignoring the many other foods (whole foods in many cases) that are predominantly carbs.

Also, the "food industry" (and processing) has, among other things made lots of healthy foods more available to many people (vegetables and fruits throughout the year -- I realize you might not approve of those -- fish, smoked and frozen, so on). The problem for us now is that this goes along with vast choice and availability and thus excess in many cases. That I overeat is more related to the huge amount of amazing cheeses I can go to a local cheese monger (or even just WF) and buy, or that I can experiment with and try types of cuisine my grandparents never experienced (Ethiopian, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Georgian (country of), etc.) even with just a phone call (and in any macro mix I want, often), as well as the fact that it's easy to be entirely sedentary if one wants and food is often available without you even having to do anything.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I often wonder how the food-industrial-transportation network manages to keep on trend. How can it possibly respond quickly enough, from farmer to table, when fads flip? Does Farmer Joe switch from cabbage to Kale? Who tells him?
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Does it matter? Do what works for you.
This discussion has been closed.