Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I might have been slightly exaggerating, I can walk, it's just awkward and people have asked if I'm okay lol
    I don't feel like I am doing that much, at least compared to the amount of soreness I am feeling. I'm still working on protein.

The other factors affecting recovery besides calorie level and protein.

Sleep and vitamins/minerals.
    If not much repair during the sleep, more feeling it the next day because more damage left over.

Also how new the workout is to you, and time since last doing it.
    Many times waiting too long, you'll get just as sore. More frequent, not as bad.

But the amino acids for muscle repair, and a chance for the body to do it - are huge.

That's why some protein 30 min before bed showed improvement in recovery in a few studies. And this was endurance cardio, so while different type of damage, not the same level.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I might have been slightly exaggerating, I can walk, it's just awkward and people have asked if I'm okay lol
    I don't feel like I am doing that much, at least compared to the amount of soreness I am feeling. I'm still working on protein.

The other factors affecting recovery besides calorie level and protein.

Sleep and vitamins/minerals.
    If not much repair during the sleep, more feeling it the next day because more damage left over.

Also how new the workout is to you, and time since last doing it.
    Many times waiting too long, you'll get just as sore. More frequent, not as bad.

But the amino acids for muscle repair, and a chance for the body to do it - are huge.

That's why some protein 30 min before bed showed improvement in recovery in a few studies. And this was endurance cardio, so while different type of damage, not the same level.

Thank you for justifying my bedtime shake :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    edited November 2017
    Well, Nony did not nix the spreadsheet sub-discussion idea, but it might end up being a bit "off topic" for many.

So I am going to start this as a new thread...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10619360/of-spreadsheets-and-results-tracking-and-such/p1?new=1
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited November 2017
    Right, thanks to @PAV8888 pointing out how to export Fitbit data for me, I have done some further number crunching:

October (included 6 days of first diet break at beginning):

Cals in: 54,461
    Cals out: 65,126
    Total deficit: 10,665
    Expected weight loss: 3.05 lb
    Actual scale weight loss: 3.74 lb
    Weight loss if using start of diet break weight: 4.4 lb
    Trendweight loss (using start of diet break): 3.08 lb

November (not counting today except weight, 12 days of diet break)

Cals in: 58,200
    Cals out: 65,838
    Total deficit: 7638
    Expected weight loss: 2.18 lb
    Actual scale weight loss: 4.18 lb
    Trendweight loss: 3.96 lb

So, Trendweight in line with expected for October, scale weight 1.4 lb higher

November, well, yeah...and 1.5 lb of that ( scale weight) has been since Saturday.

Current plan, probably continue the ~250 surplus at least until I can see that the thigh thing is exiting initial angry stage, then Fitbit TDEE to see what shakes out. AKA, not going back to an official deficit. OMG!!
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited November 2017
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well, Nony did not nix the spreadsheet sub-discussion idea, but it might end up being a bit "off topic" for many.

...link coming in a second once I post the new thread...

I don't think it's off topic at all, and it's my thread so... :D:D:tongue:
  • PAV8888
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Uh-oh... but I've posted it :disappointed:
    And I bet you it would get more attention here than there ;-)
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Okay so more sleep, more protein, possibly scale down strength training.
    It was 55 reps of squats with 6lb ball... so I don't know if the exercise is really the main issue.
    As a vegetarian/borderline vegan, I am wondering if I should take an amino acid supplement along with my protein drink so make sure I'm getting all of the amino acids I need.
    Thank you so much for your advice!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Uh-oh... but I've posted it :disappointed:
    And I bet you it would get more attention here than there ;-)

Remember, I didn't think this thread would grow wings either!! If it doesn't take off, just copy pasta it here. We will love and cherish it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    It was 55 reps of squats with 6lb ball... so I don't know if the exercise is really the main issue.
    As a vegetarian/borderline vegan, I am wondering if I should take an amino acid supplement along with my protein drink so make sure I'm getting all of the amino acids I need.

Did you have rest breaks, or 55 straight?

My understanding is that your ingested protein should cover you without needing to supplement.
  • PAV8888

Total calories? Protein grams? Other than animal products are you restricting anything else? Eggs, milk, yogurt, cheese? how quickly did you ramp up to 55 squats?
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Thanks @GottaBurnEmAll and @anubis609, yeah, this thread was a lifesaver for me as I needed a solution to curb the binges so the refeed concept came just at the right time, thanks again @Nony_Mouse!

@ZoneFive, can't wait to see your chart :)

@Nony_Mouse, ugh, sounds awful. The only thing I can relate to with your cracked and dry skin is what I get on my heels during winter... hope it gets better quickly anyhow.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Not caught up reading since page 60...will catch up later...

Day 1 surplus. Here are my findings from two weeks at maintenance cals which were 2490 (but did rise to about 3000 some days as was feeling hungry and tired) Am planning to rest next week from lifting, my joints are all aching with the cold and the training.

16/11 - 166.2
    17/11 - 167
    18/11 - 167
    19/11 - 166.6
    20/11 - 167.8
    21/11 - 166.6
    22/11 - 167.4
    23/11 - 167
    24/11 - 167.6
    25/11 - 166.4
    26/11 - 167
    27/11 - 166.8
    28/11 - 166.2
    29/11 - 168.4
    30/11 - 166.6

So average weight 167. Which means I maintained my weight for the two weeks at an average of around 2700 cals. No extra walking second week in. Yeah, have to eat more than I thought to actually gain fat/weight. Measurements are stable. It does feel and look though that my bust area has shrunk again and the B cup size is feeling roomy. Dagnabbit! So as I suspected back and chest fat decreased during the maintenance period. Now to the surplus. Have mostly felt full. But towards the end of this second week have been feeling hungry and very tired.

• Nony_Mouse
    edited November 2017
    What to do when you feel too crap to eat, but are meant to be at a surplus (which I'm not, TDEE, just...)

cvejnhr27adh.jpg

I so wanted to post the milkshake scene from Pulp Fiction with this. Just pretend I did, 'k? 'Cept you, Lemon.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    This thread has helped me decide to partake in a diet break. I started on Saturday & plan to do a full 2 weeks.

I actually had some anxiety about 'breaking my diet' and upping my cals to maintenance for the first couple of days, but you guys have helped me cope with that.

The fun bit is that tomorrow I'm off to Vienna for 8 days. Ive just plugged my expected 8 hours of walking around into MFP and to eat at maintanance means i get 4500 cals a day!!! So bring on the beer and chocolate cake!!

There is no way I'd be going to Vienna on a diet! Holidays for me are a lot about food, I love trying all sorts of cultural delicacies :) (I balance it out with lots of walking and activities like you)
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    This thread has helped me decide to partake in a diet break. I started on Saturday & plan to do a full 2 weeks.

I actually had some anxiety about 'breaking my diet' and upping my cals to maintenance for the first couple of days, but you guys have helped me cope with that.

The fun bit is that tomorrow I'm off to Vienna for 8 days. Ive just plugged my expected 8 hours of walking around into MFP and to eat at maintanance means i get 4500 cals a day!!! So bring on the beer and chocolate cake!!

Knock yourself out. You're going to have so much better a Vienna experience for not stressing about whether you should partake in this or that while you're there. And that's what all this is really about isn't it? Getting ourselves to a place where we can get the most out of our lives? Diet break or no diet break you should relish every novel experience, new food, cultural fact learned, etc. The diet break part is just good timing is all.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    HDBKLM wrote: »

Knock yourself out. You're going to have so much better a Vienna experience for not stressing about whether you should partake in this or that while you're there. And that's what all this is really about isn't it? Getting ourselves to a place where we can get the most out of our lives? Diet break or no diet break you should relish every novel experience, new food, cultural fact learned, etc. The diet break part is just good timing is all.

I totally agree.

The ultimate goal is to know that in the future I can relax about my eating. I still have a long way to go to get to a healthy weight, but I will, and once I'm there I will use everything I've learnt to continue to eat healthily but be able to have regular treats as well.
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    @nexangelus, sounds as if you're using a really good and methodological approach trying to get a right number for your surplus . Getting it right is tricky, isn't it?

@Nony_Mouse, never watched Pulp Fiction but that pic looks good.

Have a great time in Vienna!

4500 cals sounds a lot for maintenance with walking though. Is the MFP caculator accurate? Anyhow, I'm totally envious about Vienna AND the 4500 cal TDEE.
  • purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    1860 for maintain + 2499 for walking (I honestly just walk everywhere all day!!)

I guess just under the 4500.

Doubt I'll get through all these cals everyday, but it's so relaxing to know they are available.

The real test is what the scales say a week after I'm back....
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member

There is no way I'd be going to Vienna on a diet! Holidays for me are a lot about food, I love trying all sorts of cultural delicacies :) (I balance it out with lots of walking and activities like you)

Co-signed, food is a large part of holiday pleasures for me. My last one coincided with poor head health and a mildly disastrous set of events compounding head health. And thus, I gained way more than I usually would but that's fine. It's what you do when you get back that matters.