December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Ugh I feel like I'm a bad runner when I don't run on the 1st of the month, especially since tomorrow is our first indoor t&f meet and I know I won't be running tomorrow. Oh well maybe tonight if all things align.

12/1 - 0 miles

0 of 100 miles

exercise.png

Thanks everyone on the job congrats.

@ddmom0811 woohoo great PR!!!! That’s an awesome time.
    @garygse I’m so sorry the shin is still giving you issues
    @runsOnEspresso My left big toe has either been black(like it is now) or gone for almost 2 years ha ha
    @juliet3455 glad to hear the SAD improved with some sunny days
    This type of math Hrm... doing @JessicaMcB and @juliet3455 math... I am at 1712 miles for the year so I need to hit 288 miles.... err maybe just 188 is like algebra to me, no thanks ha ha
    @PastorVincent for a minute I thought what a weird toe nail
    @greenolivetree sorry about that car, that really sucks
    @lporter229 your last November run sounds awesome. When there are lots of lights out I wake up Skip at 5:00 am to run with me during the week so we can run with the lights looking so pretty
    @7lenny7 glad the knee had no pain. Happy Birthday to Mom!
    Oh geez @AlphaHowls good thing you noticed – welcome to our happy family
    “adult-onset runners” I love that!! I became a runner on a dare from Skip. Don’t dare your Momma!
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I started at 54... will be 60 next week. I hope no more wheels fall off.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB Are you certain it isn't a hydration issue? I tend to have bigger problems with hydration in the winter than in the summer. Running in the dry air just sucks the moisture out of my body and it isn't always as easy to re-hydrate. Several years back I was training for a January marathon, so December was a high mileage month for me. I almost ended up hospitalized due to joint pain. I was practically unable to move. At the time, my doctor thought it was related to my autoimmune disorder, but I have since come to realize that it was more likely a result of dehydration.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I started at 54... will be 60 next week. I hope no more wheels fall off.

Did you get your hips before or after you started running?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom it definitely wouldn't be for a couple years but I'll let you know. My ideal scenario big American plans for 2019 would be WS100 if I made it through the lottery and Pigtails 200 Miler in WA.

If you get into WS100 and need a pacer.......
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    @Elise4270 wrote: »
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    Joining this challenge for December. I have not participated before because issues with being classified as a runner. Anyway, cold weather has set in, but I will set my goal for 200 miles.

Welcome to the group!

:confused: Just curious, what would you have classified your as? Cuz 200 mpm is the work of A LOT of trainin'.

Not that lables are important here... Or anywhere :wink:

I never ran until I was 45 years old. Now, it is all I want to do. I started MFP with weightloss in mind and was walking all the time. One day someone asked if I was I a runner. I was emphatic and stated 'no.' Later in the day, I thought about it more and decided 'why not?' Started running in April 2016 and have not stopped since. I have run four races to date, with the thought that I was not good enough, but my times appear to be 'good enough.' I never classified myself as anything, I just could not consider myself as 'good enough' to be a runner.

I'll have been here, pursuing my running ambition 3 years come February but always injured. Hmm.. yup always. (No wonder I'm mental). I started at 44.

You've made great progress! I'm sure you'll love it here!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom My right big toe has been black for about the same amount of time. I am finally starting to see some white/clear (?). I googled once because I'm like should it be this color for this long? Apparently it takes years to grow out a toenail. Who knew?
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB let me know when you do Pigtails and I can help crew/pace there, my wife has tons of family in WA and would love the excuse to head up there. Also if you ever do Leadville let me know cause my company owns the mine out there and I'll just find some excuse to get a free trip up there :)
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Considering that Oct and Nov were disasters I have to really get on my shoes to accomplish this.
    SAD is improving - we had 3 sunny days and I accidentally had to use a snowmobile to get into one of the Mountain Top sites I work on. First day was breaking trail and 2nd day was hauling in replacement batteries & solar panels. Amazing how 2 days of sledding in the sun does wonders for what ails me. I guess I could have used a Helicopter but where's the fun in that?

Oh, I don't know, @juliet3455 ... I think either taking a snowmobile or a helicopter to work would both pretty pretty fun! If you ever need an electrical engineer, I am registered as a P. Eng. in both AB and SK. I do more work in SK though, in the potash industry. We do a lot of work in AB for the oil sands industry (and have an office in Calgary) but I haven't had a chance to get a project there yet.

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Yeah, that sounds like a lot of us adult-onset runners.

Okay, that is a new term I am definitely stealing!

Me too. This is definitely a "sickness" that some of my friends and co-workers think that I have come down with.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Adult-onset running I like the term not sure it totally fits. I guess I had early symptoms(since I began running in 5th grade. I'd train for some time quit for some years and come back again) but I think returning to running after my latest injury it may now be a chronic issue.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Yeah, that sounds like a lot of us adult-onset runners.

Okay, that is a new term I am definitely stealing!

Me too. This is definitely a "sickness" that some of my friends and co-workers think that I have come down with.

Had a meeting w/ my boss yesterday and terms like "cult like" were used.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 The irony from 1989 to 2000 I worked in Fort McMurray at Syncrude for Ericsson - a Swedish based company. Electronics Engineering Technologist and Journeyman Communication Electrician. Can't say that I miss the aroma of Ft. Mac