CICO the lastest fad diet

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »
    When I talked about hormones earlier it may have confused some.

Having a hormone imbalance doesn't invalidate the basic principles of calories in, calories out. What hormone imbalacesdo is changes the math. Because of an imbalance you may need to eat less to lose weight or you may store calories as fat easier. Calories still matter but knowing how many you burn gets way more tricky with an imbalance.

Is there a statistically significant percentage of the population with hormonal issues so pronounced that it is significantly impacting weight loss? I see it come up a lot in the forums when people want to push back about the simplicity of CICO (whether you agree with it or not) from some quarters but never see this extrapolate to the real world.

4.6 percent of the US population (over 12 yo) has hypothyroidism

And the percentage who have hypothyroidism to the point that it's an impact to weightloss is likely statistically insignificant.

Perhaps so.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    When people view any issue in only black and white terms they miss the bigger picture. I think people just starting might realize that if that eat a lot of sugar one time and it fills up their calories for the day and they get hungry later that maybe reducing the portion of sugar is a better idea. They learn what foods satiate them and learn portion control by learning what 100 calories of something looks like. Everything is a fad diet if you don't learn from it and don't incorporate it into a lifelong maintenance plan.

Yes, this exactly! I'm not sure there is anything wrong with telling people that they can eat whatever they want and still lose weight as long as CI<CO. It's a true statement and could be very beneficial. I've read posts from people on MFP that say they really did not know it was that simple.

As you say, even if someone did take that and try to lose weight eating only junk food they'll likely learn pretty quickly that you don't get to eat much when all your food is high calorie and learn to add other stuff in.

And if they don't, they'll still lose weight. It's better to be at a healthy weight eating junk than overweight and eating junk.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,334 Member
    Options
    does this mean I shouldn't be having french toast any more?
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    When people view any issue in only black and white terms they miss the bigger picture. I think people just starting might realize that if that eat a lot of sugar one time and it fills up their calories for the day and they get hungry later that maybe reducing the portion of sugar is a better idea. They learn what foods satiate them and learn portion control by learning what 100 calories of something looks like. Everything is a fad diet if you don't learn from it and don't incorporate it into a lifelong maintenance plan.

Yes, this exactly! I'm not sure there is anything wrong with telling people that they can eat whatever they want and still lose weight as long as CI<CO. It's a true statement and could be very beneficial. I've read posts from people on MFP that say they really did not know it was that simple.

As you say, even if someone did take that and try to lose weight eating only junk food they'll likely learn pretty quickly that you don't get to eat much when all your food is high calorie and learn to add other stuff in.

And if they don't, they'll still lose weight. It's better to be at a healthy weight eating junk than overweight and eating junk.

This is exactly right.

When my Personal Trainer told me to eat 2000 cals a day I never thought I'd manage (I weighed 292lbs at the time)

but by learning to eat foods that fill me up and nourish me I manage it quite easily now
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Obese men, like me, especially over 50 have major hormonal issues

Low T is only one element. High estrogen levels due to increased aromatase production, low dopamine,
    elevated prolactin levels plus all the leptin & insulin resistance that occurs

So, in my case, in addition to controlling my calorie intake I have been using all manner of protocols to raise T, lower estradiol, lower prolactin, block aromatase, increase insulin sensitivity and I will be doing re-feeds at some point to deal with falling leptin

However, none of those things would create weight loss if I were eating more calories than I burn

Yes -- this is a good illustration of how focusing on a calorie deficit by no means prevents you from also doing other good things for your health.

The idea that if someone focuses on a calorie deficit and realizes you can lose weight eating anything that they will eat a bad diet as a result is just so weird to me.
  • Rickster1967
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Low T is only one element. High estrogen levels due to increased aromatase production, low dopamine,

So, in my case, in addition to controlling my calorie intake I have been using all manner of protocols to raise T, lower estradiol, lower prolactin, block aromatase, increase insulin sensitivity and I will be doing re-feeds at some point to deal with falling leptin

However, none of those things would create weight loss if I were eating more calories than I burn

Yes -- this is a good illustration of how focusing on a calorie deficit by no means prevents you from also doing other good things for your health.

The idea that if someone focuses on a calorie deficit and realizes you can lose weight eating anything that they will eat a bad diet as a result is just so weird to me.

it was the bad diet that got me sick, fat and nearly dead

anyone knows that if you're going to successfully lose weight you need to make healthier choices, after all a lot of obese / overweight people will have been yo-yo dieters (I was) before starting their current weight loss efforts

I have promised myself this is the last time I will lose weight. Get to target then maintain using CICO
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Having a hormone imbalance doesn't invalidate the basic principles of calories in, calories out. What hormone imbalacesdo is changes the math. Because of an imbalance you may need to eat less to lose weight or you may store calories as fat easier. Calories still matter but knowing how many you burn gets way more tricky with an imbalance.

Is there a statistically significant percentage of the population with hormonal issues so pronounced that it is significantly impacting weight loss? I see it come up a lot in the forums when people want to push back about the simplicity of CICO (whether you agree with it or not) from some quarters but never see this extrapolate to the real world.

Yes, there is.

Leptin and insulin resistance are very common in obese people.

Low testosterone and PCOS are fairly common.

These things don't keep people from losing weight altogether but certainly can make it slower.

Leptin drops when you lose weight which can decrease thyroid function and increase muscle efficiency so your BMR drops quite a bir. It's one of the causes of plateaus.

Go read the refeeds and diet breaks thread.

Yes! Refeeds can help leptin levels.

And some of the people you're trying to school on leptin are the prominent posters in said 2k post refeeds thread...I think we may have a fair idea about leptin and its effects on weight loss. Leptin doesn't negate CICO, nor do thyroid or cortisol. It changes the CO part of the equation. It's still CICO, you just have to account for it (or be smart and incorporate diet breaks and refeeds into your weight loss plan...I may be biased on this...).

Isn't that what he said above?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options

Yes, there is.

These things don't keep people from losing weight altogether but certainly can make it slower.

Leptin drops when you lose weight which can decrease thyroid function and increase muscle efficiency so your BMR drops quite a bir. It's one of the causes of plateaus.

And some of the people you're trying to school on leptin are the prominent posters in said 2k post refeeds thread...I think we may have a fair idea about leptin and its effects on weight loss. Leptin doesn't negate CICO, nor do thyroid or cortisol. It changes the CO part of the equation. It's still CICO, you just have to account for it (or be smart and incorporate diet breaks and refeeds into your weight loss plan...I may be biased on this...).

Not trying to school anyone. Just putting facts out there because there seem to be a few confused people.

Also, I did say in my.posts that it doesn't negate CICO, just changes the math.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

It makes me wonder though--do people become obese because of the hormone issues, or do they have the hormone issues because they are obese?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yes, there is.

Not trying to school anyone. Just putting facts out there because there seem to be a few confused people.

Also, I did say in my.posts that it doesn't negate CICO, just changes the math.

What does this have to do with the posted article?
  • Rickster1967
    edited December 2017
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »

It makes me wonder though--do people become obese because of the hormone issues, or do they have the hormone issues because they are obese?

in my own case, I developed all the hormonal problems after becoming obese

i.e I didn't have them before I put on a lot of weight