Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thanks for doing this. I'm a beginner, no gym membership, a few weights and a yoga mat. Here goes....
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So BB.com decided to be a douche and no long offers PH3 for free. In response to that, Dr. Norton is offering an upgrade to PHAT for free.

https://www.biolayne.com/phat/

Might want to download it while you can.

Thanks!

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I see I'm in the wrong place. I'll go away now. Not sure how I ended up here.
    What makes you say that? You got incredibly polite and supportive answers.

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply I wasn't getting helped, just that I realized I was in the wrong forum (gaining weight) and I made a mistake in where I posted my question. It would have been better in a different forum.

I appreciate the advice and have no issue with what anyone has said. I'm sorry if I came across as being upset or anything.

LULZ. I had seen a number of your posts and thought of you as pretty reasonable. Then, that post above made me go, :huh:. Now, I'm like, "oh, OK." This is why it's important not to read tone into posts.

Nah. I'm just an *kitten*

:)

Fair enough. But if there are lifting questions, you can always ask them in here. If it's really that bad, I have some really good magic tricks and can make stuff disappear.

K. I'll come back when I need to. The thing I like about the video I posted above is that I'm not trying to figure out the moves from text or little clips, but just need to follow along. I like the Aworkoutroutine guy (and actually found him before I found MFP and is one of the very few things I follow on FB), but I like the video in front of me when I do it. I figure in Sept (assuming I hit my goals) I will have to graduate to a gym and get some training as to how to lift more seriously.

I'm baaacccckkkk.

I've been going to the Y since August and working with a coach on a light weight lifting program, full body twice a week. I basically joined the Y as smoke filled my city and I couldn't run outside, so I joined to do treadmill work and starting some lifting as well. I've graduated from the resistance machines to free weights, but I'm thinking the program isn't really working for me as I don't seem to be progressing much.

Now, my goals as really 2-fold at this point. I still have ~25 lbs to lose, but want it to be mostly fat loss and to keep most of the ~155 lbs of LBM I seem to have. I'm ~220 and, if the trend my scales gives me is close to accurate, ~28.5% BF.

My second goal is to improve my running. I really don't enjoy the weights but like running and do 5K 2-3 times a week. Either outside or treadmill. I'm also taking swim lessons once a week and have added an afternoon swim to my routine, but that's hit and miss. I'm going to drop the Saturday 5K and go X country skiing instead for a few months. Just waiting for a bit more snow.

I want to do a try-a-tri next August.

So, with that in mind, what would you suggest for a good lifting program, 2 or 3 times a week. Will strong lifts help me to my goal? I'd like to keep it to around 30 mins a session. I hit the Y at 5:30 (when it opens), do ~10 mins on a bike and then 30 mins of weights, go home and get ready to be at work at 7 (very short drive to the Y and to work).

My weeks have been. Sat 5K Parkrun. Sunday 45 min swim lessons. M/W Bike and weights. Tue/Thurs 5K either outside or treadmill (it's gotten icy outside). Friday has been nothing but I could add a weight day.

Thanks for any help.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Sorry. Didn't mean to imply I wasn't getting helped, just that I realized I was in the wrong forum (gaining weight) and I made a mistake in where I posted my question. It would have been better in a different forum.

I appreciate the advice and have no issue with what anyone has said. I'm sorry if I came across as being upset or anything.

LULZ. I had seen a number of your posts and thought of you as pretty reasonable. Then, that post above made me go, :huh:. Now, I'm like, "oh, OK." This is why it's important not to read tone into posts.

Fair enough. But if there are lifting questions, you can always ask them in here. If it's really that bad, I have some really good magic tricks and can make stuff disappear.

K. I'll come back when I need to. The thing I like about the video I posted above is that I'm not trying to figure out the moves from text or little clips, but just need to follow along. I like the Aworkoutroutine guy (and actually found him before I found MFP and is one of the very few things I follow on FB), but I like the video in front of me when I do it. I figure in Sept (assuming I hit my goals) I will have to graduate to a gym and get some training as to how to lift more seriously.

I'm baaacccckkkk.

I've been going to the Y since August and working with a coach on a light weight lifting program, full body twice a week. I basically joined the Y as smoke filled my city and I couldn't run outside, so I joined to do treadmill work and starting some lifting as well. I've graduated from the resistance machines to free weights, but I'm thinking the program isn't really working for me as I don't seem to be progressing much.

Now, my goals as really 2-fold at this point. I still have ~25 lbs to lose, but want it to be mostly fat loss and to keep most of the ~155 lbs of LBM I seem to have. I'm ~220 and, if the trend my scales gives me is close to accurate, ~28.5% BF.

My second goal is to improve my running. I really don't enjoy the weights but like running and do 5K 2-3 times a week. Either outside or treadmill. I'm also taking swim lessons once a week and have added an afternoon swim to my routine, but that's hit and miss. I'm going to drop the Saturday 5K and go X country skiing instead for a few months. Just waiting for a bit more snow.

So, with that in mind, what would you suggest for a good lifting program, 2 or 3 times a week. Will strong lifts help me to my goal? I'd like to keep it to around 30 mins a session. I hit the Y at 5:30 (when it opens), do ~10 mins on a bike and then 30 mins of weights, go home and get ready to be at work at 7 (very short drive to the Y and to work).

My weeks have been. Sat 5K Parkrun. Sunday 45 min swim lessons. M/W Bike and weights. Tue/Thurs 5K either outside or treadmill (it's gotten icy outside). Friday has been nothing but I could add a weight day.

Thanks for any help.

I loved SLs as a beginner program. It may be closer to 45 minutes a session, but you can definitely modify it to 2X week if you need to.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

I'm baaacccckkkk.

Thanks for any help.

As a triathlete, I can say 5x5 helped. Specifically squats and deadlifts, because they forced me to work on activating my glutes. I was a very quad dominate runner and now I use more muscles during a run, spreading the load.

The barbell row will add stength for swimming, but realistically swimming is almost all about form.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I'm baaacccckkkk.

Thanks for any help.

I'd consider starting strength, SL or even the aworkoutroutine beginner program. Real simple and can be done in a short amount of time. If pressed for time, the. Cut the 10 min bike.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

I'm baaacccckkkk.

Thanks for any help.

I'd consider starting strength, SL or even the aworkoutroutine beginner program. Real simple and can be done in a short amount of time. If pressed for time, the. Cut the 10 min bike.

Would I see a benefit from 3 times a week? I don't mind cutting out a run day at this point, but will pick it up (or a bike day) in the spring.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I'm baaacccckkkk.

Thanks for any help.

Would I see a benefit from 3 times a week? I don't mind cutting out a run day at this point, but will pick it up (or a bike day) in the spring.

Oh sure, that's usually most useful frequency. Then the duration can be short, and the intensity not as hard that it ruins a cardio workout. Or the cardio wears you out so bad to make an almost worthless lifting workout.

I've tried to do the 5x5 along with endurance training - I didn't find it working well at all. Just too much overlap.
    While the cardio could be done sore - it needed to be done at recovery level, or the next lifting session was just worthless from lack of recovery.
    More often it was too intense cardio just making it about impossible to get the lifting done.

3 x 10-12 worked better for me. Still same potential for interference, but took more to hit it.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    None of the above. I just listen to and do what my trainer tells me to do, no matter how sadistic or insane I think he may be at times. I am slowly getting to where I want to be, so it's working. And there is constant adjustments based on my feedback.

Me too. I have a lifting coach, it's his job to write the program and it's my job to do it. He's a Olympic style weightlifting coach, I came from powerlifting so he programs those lifts in for me as well. I'm not very good weightlifter so I need to continue dead/squats/bench or I'd never get in any kind of workout. ;)

I want continued progress in strength and joint ROM, so it's worth it to me to pay for a coach. Otherwise I'd just be wandering around the old gym doing the same old things and still at the same level. One year in with my coach, I'm SO much improved it's hard to believe.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Awesome - that is why I stick around (well, and I like helping people). I have modified my SL 5x5 program a little bit (doing 4x a week instead of the prescribed 3x a week) and am really going to take @psuLemon's suggestion and swap out DLs for Squats one week. Great idea. I was trying sooooo dang hard to follow a program as built. I knew that would not happen....but I am really trying. Now, once I get to the next level - MadCow - that I will see how I can modify. That I will likely do the 3x a week but will likely do the swap out for one week.......

I am going to get to interesting weights likely next week.....well, for me interesting weights.

At 4x a week, you end up with lifts on consecutive days every 7 days. Do you find that there is a difference in how much you can lift or number of reps between the times you don't have rest and the times you do?

And, to answer specifically this question (I do so because I feel that it could be beneficial to some for some real-world input)....

I do. I find that the Sunday training session is the weakest of the week. But.....for full disclosure there is likely a very good reason for that.

One the Tuesday and Thursday training session, I start with the Squat Weight as per the program, but use that as the starting point. So, if 175lbs is the weight for today's squats, I do my two warm up sets (usually just 135lbs) and then do 5 reps at 175lbs and then move up in weight. So, I would do 175, then 185, then 205 then 225 and then 245. I do the same thing on Thursday. On Saturday and Sunday, however, I do 5 sets of 5 reps at the prescribed weight. I am doing this - at this point - because the weights are really low (for me).

I do the same thing for Dead Lifts.

For Bench, Barbell Rows and OHP I follow the program as prescribed.

There will come a time (in the next two weeks or so) that I will - with respect to dead lifts and squats - follow the program as prescribed (with respect to pounds on the bar).

I am also - because doing Dead Lifts once a week just does not cut it for me - playing with what several others here have suggested (that is, swap Dead Lifts and Squats for a week....I will find what works for me).

Yes, I experiment a lot. During the three months of no training I experimented a whole bunch with nutrition. I learned a great deal about my body and how it responds to different things. I enjoy learning and finding out what works - for me. Everyone is different.

When I do move on to the MadCow program (which is what I have specifically selected....with eyes wide open) I will likely not modify that program.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

I'm baaacccckkkk.

Thanks for any help.

Oh sure, that's usually most useful frequency. Then the duration can be short, and the intensity not as hard that it ruins a cardio workout. Or the cardio wears you out so bad to make an almost worthless lifting workout.

I've tried to do the 5x5 along with endurance training - I didn't find it working well at all. Just too much overlap.
    While the cardio could be done sore - it needed to be done at recovery level, or the next lifting session was just worthless from lack of recovery.
    More often it was too intense cardio just making it about impossible to get the lifting done.

3 x 10-12 worked better for me. Still same potential for interference, but took more to hit it.

I would add, that during running season, it may be worth doing a 2x /week program is running goals > strength. And then in off season, move to a 3x/week program. In all honesty, it comes down to what is your training priority.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Agreed ^^^^.

When it comes to crunch time actually, lower lifting usually dropped to 1 x weekly to stop interference, upper could still be done 3 x though.

But then during summer with longer training, just a lack of time caused missing most of those upper, and lower just got dropped.
  • amazsplendor
    amazsplendor Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links you posted @psuLemon!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Updated the front page with some additional information and a few more programs that everyone suggested. Thank you all for your contributions.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon , can you recommend a program that does not rely on barbell work. The gym only has 1 squat rack and it is used the entire time I'm there. My goal is to gain muscle mass.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    @giusa

I'm not psuLemon, but there are some bodyweight programs, as well as a machine-based program and some dumbbell-based programs on page 1. Either Lyle McDonald's program or the Muscle and Strength dumbbell routine would probably be good for you and your goal. I'd probably go with the M&S one.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @giusa

I'm not psuLemon, but there are some bodyweight programs, as well as a machine-based program and some dumbbell-based programs on page 1. Either Lyle McDonald's program or the Muscle and Strength dumbbell routine would probably be good for you and your goal. I'd probably go with the M&S one.

Actually I was looking at that one...(the link to #2 was broken...)
    It's just so disheartening after reaching PRs using 5/3/1!!!
    Thanks.

• psuLemon
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    @giusa

Actually I was looking at that one...(the link to #2 was broken...)
    It's just so disheartening after reaching PRs using 5/3/1!!!
    Thanks.

Which link was broken? I just tried the second M&S program and it seems like it's working. I know the first M&S program is pretty good. Alternatively, you can also take most programs and make them dumbbell based.
  • benchismybff
    benchismybff Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I used to do GZCL. Now I do a custom variation of Shieko, and I'll say that submax lifting is some sort of black magic. If you're wanting to go powerlifting, and you don't submax, you're doing it being.