Do you wear you wedding ring to the gym?

Options

Replies

• ToniAnn411
    Options
    No, I don't wear mine to the gym either. I prefer not too, mainly because I don't want to damage my ring, by banging it, etc.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I wear my wedding band and engagement ring all the time unless i'm doing yardwork or swimming. Mostly because I just never think to take it off. I do wear gloves when I use weights at the gym...and I've noticed several times that I should have taken off my rings when they pinch my hand somehow.

I totally agree with the statement of it being more important how you act than whether or not you have a ring on. I'd be married with or without the ring. ;)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't like wearing it cause it hurts when I'm lifing and gives me calluses, but I wear it cause my husband would flip his lid if I didn't. He doesn't wear his to work though so...not really fair!
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would if my ring wasn't too big for me now. However, it's a good idea to buy another ring for much less $$ (check out amazon) that you won't mind scratching and use that as your gym ring. It saves time and energy and rejection on the part of people asking you out and its a nice feeling to have a wedding ring on =)
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think the tattoo idea is a good one - my physical therapist had one of those as both he and his wife were therapists and couldn't wear rings at work. I was married but never had a wedding ring, not from choice, but because my ex didn't think it was important. I used to get hit on a lot and never responded until things were going badly and then it was kind of 'well, why not? if he doesn't think I'm good enough for a ring ...' I guess the point is, rings mean different things to different people.

My boyfriend says he always used to look and see if there was a ring on a finger before he hit on a girl so some people do take notice. I've seen his married friends take theirs off for a night out on the town and that's completely different as that's like calculated ring removal!

If I ever remarried I would want my husband to wear his, but not in the gym as I agree it can be a bit dangerous.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Always on my finger :)
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

He works for a company that builds rock crushing equipment. When he was in the shop they weren't allow to wear them for safety reasons (welding, grinding, etc...)

My husband rarely wears his ring. A lot of guys, in his profession, are missing their ring finger due to the ring getting caught and yanked off...ouch!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I never wear mine at the gym - I'm not going to ruin my rings. Plus, it hurts if its not just right when I'm lifting. DH doesn't wear his at the gym either. I'm okay with it, and he is, too. Taking it off doesn't mean you have freedom to do what you want, whether or not its on your finger, you're still married lol. It isn't a magical ring that will stop you from being unfaithful. I've been asked out with my rings on and with them off....it's 2011....unfortunately they don't really stop people as much as they used to from hitting on you. JMO.
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    I usually wear mine to Zumba class.. but if i'm lifting or using weights i dont wear it b'c it hurts my hand sometimes and pinches my finger.. it's all about personal opinion.. my husband doesn't mind if i take if off for things like that.. and i NEVER sleep in it... i have cut my face more than once with it during the night..
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just found out from my friend who works in jewelry that you shouldn't wear your rings to the gym because there is a chance it can damage the band from gripping the machines etc.
  • aprilmwilson
    aprilmwilson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My fingers swell when I work out, so wearing my ring can be uncomfortable. I usually just leave it at home:)
  • janitsio
    Options
    I remove all my jewelry. Just don't like how they feel when I'm working out.

622054.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    bump to chat about since there's another thread on it by AZ
  • Ashlea82
    Ashlea82 Posts: 191
    Options
    i put my engagement ring on a necklace around my neck while i workout or do anything else when it may get damaged
    (and i tuck it into my sports bra when i run or it smacks me in the face LOL!)
    not sure if thats too girly for guys to do haha
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Thin gold band, yes I wear it at the gym but no other rings or jewelry.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Nope, I leave it at home. I'm always afraid of losing it!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    No because my fingers swell when I exercise!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my engagement ring if I'm going to do anything active at all, because my finger swells. My fingers swell at night too, so I don't wear it when I go to sleep either.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It makes no sense to attempt to handle a barbell with a ring on. Simple as that.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I used to wear mine, but I've lost a lot of weight now, and the ring falls off (so does my engagement ring). My rings now sit in my jewelry box. When I finish losing all my weight, I'll get them resized. It costs too much to get them sized repeatedly.