Can you really eat whatever you want?

Options

Replies

• Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »
    For weight loss sure, as long as you're burning more calories than you consume. For health? probably shouldn't lol

How healthy it is depends pretty greatly on what one wants to eat. I'm a pretty firm believer that as long as you eat a good variety of different foods and you don't have any specific health issues causing you to need to pay particular attention to some aspect of your diet, nutrition tends to largely work itself out.

Well duh. But for the vast majority of people "whatever I want" isn't going to be healthy. Especially if they have to ask that question. Hello, context.

Why would you assume that?

Whatever I want is healthy, because I want to eat a nutritious diet, I love a lot of foods that have lots of nutrients (fish, vegetables), my idea of a normal meal is basically nutritious (when I got fat it was from portion sizes, adding excess calories from oils and cheese, and especially from eating outside of meals). I don't know why people assume that whatever you want means mostly junk food -- I'd die of boredom and dissatisfaction on such a diet.

Yes, "whatever I want" maybe also means eating without thought and as much as I want, but I assume "can I eat whatever I want" to mean "can I include smaller portions of foods I particularly enjoy but think aren't super high in nutrients within a healthy diet and my calories" and the answer is of course.

When I read "can I really eat whatever I want?" I would assume they have junk in mind otherwise, a healthy balance seems obvious. Maybe that's just me though. If at least 85% of my food cravings were healthy nutritious things and not just chocolate and chips and macaroni n cheese then I wouldn't even question it. I do however question cravings that are obviously empty calories and high in sugars. The rest just seems obvious basic common knowledge to me. To me, when I hear that question it kind of reminds me of "how can close can I get to the edge without falling over?" and My respose would be stay a good distance and don't toe the line. Human nature tends to lean toward the "let's see how close I can get" side of things.
  • Jackibrazil
    Options
    I guess I could have said that it MIGHT not be healthy dependent on your diet but the point rings pretty much the same. Nitpicking over nothing.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I’m not just aiming to lose weight. I am aiming to be healthy. Weight loss doesn’t equal health. My dad used to eat very unhealthy but he is a runner. He started to have an unhealthy heart because of what he was eating. The only reason he hadn’t had a heart attack up until a few years ago was because he ran. Now he has a really great heart because he changed his eating habits. I think he had clogged arteries or something like that. So, I CAN eat unhealthy, but I see no point. One thing though, I’m not afraid to have fun on the holidays.
  • EloiseBean
    EloiseBean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i lost 106 eating what i wanted
  • Jackibrazil
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I guess because I've never had that mentality about dieting I just figured that's what OP meant. Unhealthy..
  • Jackibrazil
    Options
    I guess I could have said that it MIGHT not be healthy dependent on your diet but the point rings pretty much the same. Nitpicking over nothing.

Nitpicking over nothing? C'mon. You've been here since 2012. Surely you've seen the daily messages. "OMG, I just ate xxx and now I'll never lose weight." "My family avoids all sodium bicarbonate because it's used to strip paint and I don't want it in my body." (I'm not making that one up. I wonder about that woman sometimes during holiday baking season.) "I only eat chicken, broccoli, and cauliflower but I keep falling off the wagon. HALP!!" It's not nothing to say that a sustainable and healthy diet can include foods that aren't traditionally considered healthy. We all see too many people asking about it every day to consider it nothing.

I've had an account since 2012. I don't look at emails and I've literally never used the message boards or looked at them before two days ago. My friends were all people I know who just use this to log. C'mon.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

For a recent potluck, I made mac'n'cheese that had 366 calories per serving (9x13" cake dish, cut 10), 19g protein (no meat BTW), 8g fiber, 82% RDA of vitamin A, . . . and I could go on with the nutrition. My non-weight-conscious friends loved it, judged by consumption, not just compliments. If eating that is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

@AnnPT77 would you mind posting your recipe in the Recipe section please. That sounds like something I’d like to make. Thanks!