Walk 1 hour a day Dec 11th to Jan 9th - Drop 15!!

Options
Hey everyone! I'm getting back into the swing of things after a temporary set back due to the flu! I would love some motivation and accountability, so I am starting a challenge for myself. Feel free to join in if you'd like! The challenge is simple. Walk 1 hour a day (1 rest day a week). This can be all at once, or in increments. I will be going for the full hour. Introduce supplemental exercises at least twice a week! Weigh ins are once a week on your chosen day. I will be weighing in on Mondays! And stay under your calorie goal for the duration of the challenge.

I hope you will join me on this quick challenge, and look forward to stories, cooking tips, exercise goals, etc! I would love motivation in my journey, and would love to help motivate you in yours!! Let's drop 15 by Jan 9th!!!

Replies

• GnomeQueen0310
    GnomeQueen0310 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Starting Weight : 210
    Weigh in day: Monday!

Planning on a 1 hour walk on the treadmill tonight. Will update once completed. Looking forward to getting out of the 200's!

Food has been a tough one for me, as I'm struggling finding new foods. I've been stuck on the same meals day in and day out because they are easy and low calorie. Does anyone have a favorite low cal snack food or dinner they'd like to share?
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Absolutely count me in!
    Funny enough I was out three weeks with the flu as well! Small world.
    My boyfriend and I were just talking about this over the weekend since we're both sick of our own cooking. He read that it's actually a really good idea to go for a walk after you finish cooking so that way your nose/other senses readjusts and the meal you just made will taste better to you.
    This is a wonderful idea. Accountability is an absolute must though!

For dinner ideas; funny enough weight watchers zero point soup (I think that's what its called). It's deliciously brothy soup with tons of veggies in there, I could have three bowls of that and be so content with the world. For a good snack my go to is crispy snap pea chips. Yep. You read correctly. Snap pea chips. They're literally just dehydrated peas that come in various flavors but you literally feel like you're eating chips. Best part - very low calorie and you can eat an entire bag if you really have a snack attack. Although I wouldn't recommend it since you won't have any for later.. lol.

What types of meals do you do?
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options
    Absolutely count me in!
    My boyfriend and I were just talking about this over the weekend since we're both sick of our own cooking. He read that it's actually a really good idea to go for a walk after you finish cooking so that way your nose/other senses readjusts and the meal you just made will taste better to you.

For dinner ideas; funny enough weight watchers zero point soup (I think that's what its called). It's deliciously brothy soup with tons of veggies in there, I could have three bowls of that and be so content with the world. For a good snack my go to is crispy snap pea chips. Yep. You read correctly. Snap pea chips. They're literally just dehydrated peas that come in various flavors but you literally feel like you're eating chips. Best part - very low calorie and you can eat an entire bag if you really have a snack attack. Although I wouldn't recommend it since you won't have any for later.. lol.

Ahhh! I love the snap pea chips!! They're amazing, and I love that they give you the chip fix. Have you tried the Tomato Basil ones?? Soo good!

I'll definitely have to check out the zero point soup! I've been living off of protein burritos and oatmeal for lunches and then baked chicken breast and veggies for almost every dinner! The funny thing is, I don't really crave anything, I just want anything else. Haha. I really like the idea of taking a walk before eating! That's a really good trick and I think being tired out from the exercise and hungry will help my brain realize it can't always get what it wants. Haha.

That's crazy you got hit with the flu too! I hope you're both feeling better? My kiddos got the brunt of it at my house so the last week and a half has been thrown out of wack diet wise. But I did get some awesome cuddling in! :)

Thanks for joining me!!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    Me dropping 15 within a month would be impossible but Ill hang out as I work on getting my steps daily.
    Do you guys have a fitbit?
    Current weight: 158.2
    I meal prep my breakfast and lunches during the week. Dinner is where I slack a bit as I work two jobs.
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options
    boehle wrote: »
    Me dropping 15 within a month would be impossible but Ill hang out as I work on getting my steps daily.
    I meal prep my breakfast and lunches during the week. Dinner is where I slack a bit as I work two jobs.

Awesome! Yes, please join us! And no worries on dropping the 15. With my journey, I think I can pull it off as I have more to lose, but you can set your own goal!

I don't have a fit bit, but have been eyeing them. How do you like yours? Are they pretty accurate? I usually measure by time and have used the map my walk app on my phone.

And good on you for meal prep! That's awesome. What types of meals do you prepare? Does it take a lot of time to get it ready? I feel you on dinner. Especially at the end of a long day, once you get home the last thing you want to do is take the time to make dinner. I've been living off baked chicken, but have had cheat days I'm not too proud of. Chinese take out will always be a weakness!
  • momwow17
    momwow17 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm glad everyone is feeling better! I'd love to join this challenge. I woke up this morning and decided I'd had enough of feeling tired all the time, so I decided I want to get back into eating healthy and walking every day, so this challenge is the perfect motivation at the perfect time. This challenge will be great for helping to avoid the holiday fare around my office.

About me... My name is Shannon and my current weight is 236. I love hiking and walking in natural settings. My goal for this challenge is to lose the 15 pounds and be able to hike 6 miles at my local park. 2 years ago I had lost 70 lbs and was hiking up to 20 miles in strenuous terrain. Unfortunately, I had a setback and now am starting over again, but I know I did it before and can do it again!
  • boehle
    Options

Awesome! Yes, please join us! And no worries on dropping the 15. With my journey, I think I can pull it off as I have more to lose, but you can set your own goal!

I don't have a fit bit, but have been eyeing them. How do you like yours? Are they pretty accurate? I usually measure by time and have used the map my walk app on my phone.

And good on you for meal prep! That's awesome. What types of meals do you prepare? Does it take a lot of time to get it ready? I feel you on dinner. Especially at the end of a long day, once you get home the last thing you want to do is take the time to make dinner. I've been living off baked chicken, but have had cheat days I'm not too proud of. Chinese take out will always be a weakness!

I love my fitbit. Most people sleep with theirs on but I don't as it drives me crazy while sleeping.
    I think its pretty accurate and it keeps me always wanting to get those daily dots.

Meal prepping doesn't take me long.
    Breakfast this week is bacon and hard boiled eggs.
    While I was making that, I made a big thing of buffalo chicken dip for low carb wraps that I like.
    I didnt even spend an hr cooking yesterday.
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options
    momwow17 wrote: »
    I'm glad everyone is feeling better! I'd love to join this challenge. I woke up this morning and decided I'd had enough of feeling tired all the time, so I decided I want to get back into eating healthy and walking every day, so this challenge is the perfect motivation at the perfect time. This challenge will be great for helping to avoid the holiday fare around my office.

About me... My name is Shannon and my current weight is 236. I love hiking and walking in natural settings. My goal for this challenge is to lose the 15 pounds and be able to hike 6 miles at my local park. 2 years ago I had lost 70 lbs and was hiking up to 20 miles in strenuous terrain. Unfortunately, I had a setback and now am starting over again, but I know I did it before and can do it again!

Hey Shannon!! Thanks for joining! I'm so excited that this came at the perfect time for you! I know how rough the set backs are. Getting back on schedule is tough!

Dang! 20 miles! Thats awesome! I love walking outdoors too, although, my terrain is mostly paved haha. Lately, with my job, I rarely have the time during the day. I have been hoofing it on the treadmill at home, but it's just not the same. I miss the fresh air!

Thanks again for joining. Looking forward to the month!!
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options

I love my fitbit. Most people sleep with theirs on but I don't as it drives me crazy while sleeping.
    I think its pretty accurate and it keeps me always wanting to get those daily dots.

While I was making that, I made a big thing of buffalo chicken dip for low carb wraps that I like.

Oh awesome! I might have to look into doing wraps! Those sound great!!

And very cool! I've been checking them out. It'd be nice to have something track my steps as my phone won't. It seems odd that it can do everything else practically, but no pedometer? Haha. Maybe it's more of a user error. :P
  • boehle
    Options

And very cool! I've been checking them out. It'd be nice to have something track my steps as my phone won't. It seems odd that it can do everything else practically, but no pedometer? Haha. Maybe it's more of a user error. :P

what kind of phone do you have?
    everyone I know has a tracking app on it.
    I have a Samsung and it has samsung health.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    Absolutely count me in!

That's crazy you got hit with the flu too! I hope you're both feeling better? My kiddos got the brunt of it at my house so the last week and a half has been thrown out of wack diet wise. But I did get some awesome cuddling in! :)

Thanks for joining me!!

***Finally*** feeling so much better. It's amazing what you can do when you can breathe! lol! Thank goodness I have found another soul who likes snap pea chips! My bestie hates them, boyfriend hates them, everyone else just looks like I'm mad when I have them. But they're amazing!
    Honestly the soup is really good for when you're sick as well, funny enough. It's literally a ton of veggies and a good stiff beef broth.

Wish me luck on my walk for tonight though, I'm getting about 3'' of snow in my neck of the woods.
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options

Does the app for Samsung really work well? I have one as well but I haven't tried it out.
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options
    Absolutely count me in!

Thanks for joining me!!

***Finally*** feeling so much better. It's amazing what you can do when you can breathe! lol! Thank goodness I have found another soul who likes snap pea chips! My bestie hates them, boyfriend hates them, everyone else just looks like I'm mad when I have them. But they're amazing!
    Honestly the soup is really good for when you're sick as well, funny enough. It's literally a ton of veggies and a good stiff beef broth.

Wish me luck on my walk for tonight though, I'm getting about 3'' of snow in my neck of the woods.

Ooh!! Good luck! Hopefully you beat the snow, or at least let it be just snow and no ice!!!
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options

I have a Samsung as well! I'll check it out. I'm probably just completely missing it!
  • katiejo2011
    katiejo2011 Posts: 180 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Count me in. I am just starting and I need the accountability. I walked for an hour today on our treadmill desk at work.

Current weight: 276
    Losing the 15 lbs will be difficult with Christmas but i will do my best. I need to do well. that would be a good start to losing what i need.
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options
    Count me in. I am just starting and I need the accountability. I walked for an hour today on our treadmill desk at work.

Current weight: 276
    Losing the 15 lbs will be difficult with Christmas but i will do my best. I need to do well. that would be a good start to losing what i need.

Thanks for joining and good job on getting the hour done already! I agree, the 15 will be hard with Christmas and family meals. If you want to shoot for another number, go for it!! Tailor this challenge to fit you! I am just excited for the support and the tips we can all share! We'll kick butt this month no matter what! :)
  • GnomeQueen0310
    Options
    Day 1: 1 hour in! Success!
  • momwow17
    momwow17 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Walked for an hour in my neighborhood tonight. I enjoyed looking at all the Christmas decorations and the beautiful night sky. I’m attaching a picture of one of them. Enjoy!
  • MzRuthy
    MzRuthy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I actually walked my hour prior to seeing this challenge so that worked out well!
  • stacyann847
    stacyann847 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I only had time for 30 minutes but I still feel good:)