Calorie count or Keto?

Options
mcafton
mcafton Posts: 190 Member
edited December 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I started out here counting calories, but stalled out. I exercise 3 or 4 days a week and in the summer bike a lot. I probably ride between 60 and 100 miles a week. I had lost around 20 pounds, then stalled. I hadn't been counting my calories as well and would really take advantage of the 1000 or so calorie burn bike rides as an excuse to eat more. I then decided to cut carbs way back, and have lost a few pounds, but not what I was expecting. Some people on the keto diets seem to lose weight so quickly. My carbs are way down, but I'm wondering if I'm eating too many calories. I also worry about cholesterol going up from long term fatty diet. I'm thinking about going back to calorie counting and being more strict. Just wondering what some of you think of as the pros and cons of calories vs keto. If I cheat with calorie counting that's a bad day, but if I cheat on the low carb diet it takes a week or so to get back to where I was and recoup.

Replies

• mcafton
    Options
    However you eat, if you have a weight loss goal you need to be in a calorie deficit. If you can't achieve that intuitively, you need to log and track.

You probably stalled due to inaccurate logging, and you may have been overestimating calorie burns from exercise.

People on keto/low carb lose weight quickly initially as they lose water weight with the reduction of carbs. Fat loss happens at the same rate.

To achieve your goals, I would start to log and track accurately. Account for everything - weigh solids, measure liquids. Use accurate database entries. If you want to eat lower carb, do that, but it's not necessary for weight loss.

Thanks. I was doing well counting calories, then kind of slacked off. of course, that's when I stalled out. was maintaining, but not losing weight. I'm sure some muscle gain accounts for it as well, but I definitely need to get back to recording and tracking my calories.
  • mcafton
    Options
    However you eat, if you have a weight loss goal you need to be in a calorie deficit. If you can't achieve that intuitively, you need to log and track.

You probably stalled due to inaccurate logging, and you may have been overestimating calorie burns from exercise.

People on keto/low carb lose weight quickly initially as they lose water weight with the reduction of carbs. Fat loss happens at the same rate.

To achieve your goals, I would start to log and track accurately. Account for everything - weigh solids, measure liquids. Use accurate database entries. If you want to eat lower carb, do that, but it's not necessary for weight loss.

Thanks. Hope it goes well for you. I am learning that there is definitely more to it than just cutting carbs. I will look more into that.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I consider Keri a lifestyle diet. I say that meaning that if you want to lose, eat in a deficit while in it. While I am not on this diet, my trainer is. He makes sure he consumed a certain amount of calories each day.
  • mcafton
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    If you like to ride distance rides Keto may not be for you. a keto diet has been shown to lower athletic performance. If you want to continue riding distances of any significance, you will be much better served by a diet that is relatively high in carbs.

Thanks for the advice. I've noticed a definite decrease in endurance on the stationary bike the last several weeks. it's cold here so I haven't been riding outside. My cardio isn't as good especially the first several minutes and my legs feel more cramped and gassed.