Calorie count or Keto?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    xhunter561 wrote: »
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I see no reason to restrict an entire macro (which I personally would not be able to sustain) when I can just count calories and eat what I enjoy.

Calories all the way.

your not completely restricting them. your just removing basically all the simple carbs and keeping the complex ones.

mmapags: sense being on keto i have been doing a average of 30 to 40 mile runs each week when it's not sleeting, having over time, or just being busy.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm one study but note that it was a test of high carb against keto BUT they used athletic adults on both.

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/#Keto_and_athletic_performance is another interesting one

but as for keto and endurance from a personal stand point using fat as a primary source of energy helps a lot, reduces burnouts, and you can just keep going and going till your legs start hurting or you get bored. but this can differ between people and their genetics and if they work better with high carb or high fat or those that cycle carbs just before a workout and cycle low to no carbs in their rest. I personally don't do go with any type of high carb diets (mainly referring to fruit only diets and vegan diets, both of which made me sick) But keto is just one type and there are going to be those that it will not help at all its just a thing of figuring out what your body works best with.

I eat mostly complex carbohydrates...I'm not keto by any stretch. I eat oats pretty much everyday for breakfast...I'm at 27 grams right there...I typically have some kind of starch like potato or sweet potato for lunch or rice or quinoa or beans or lentils or similar...same for dinner. I eat a ton of veg and a couple servings of fruit...

I don't think you can really say that keto is just keeping to complex carbohydrates...I'm well over the 50 grams...or it seems more like 20 grams these days. When you're restricting carbs to those levels, you've all but eliminated them...
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    xhunter561 wrote: »
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I see no reason to restrict an entire macro (which I personally would not be able to sustain) when I can just count calories and eat what I enjoy.

Calories all the way.

your not completely restricting them. your just removing basically all the simple carbs and keeping the complex ones.

mmapags: sense being on keto i have been doing a average of 30 to 40 mile runs each week when it's not sleeting, having over time, or just being busy.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm one study but note that it was a test of high carb against keto BUT they used athletic adults on both.

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/#Keto_and_athletic_performance is another interesting one

but as for keto and endurance from a personal stand point using fat as a primary source of energy helps a lot, reduces burnouts, and you can just keep going and going till your legs start hurting or you get bored. but this can differ between people and their genetics and if they work better with high carb or high fat or those that cycle carbs just before a workout and cycle low to no carbs in their rest. I personally don't do go with any type of high carb diets (mainly referring to fruit only diets and vegan diets, both of which made me sick) But keto is just one type and there are going to be those that it will not help at all its just a thing of figuring out what your body works best with.

I wasn't aware that keto didn't allow simple carbohydrates -- I thought sometimes people ate berries on keto?

By the way, veganism wouldn't be classified as a high carbohydrate diet by definition. It can -- like a non-vegan diet -- be high in carbohydrates. But there are also vegans who do moderate carbohydrate or even low carbohydrate. I'm not sure how veganism -- in and of itself -- could have made you ill, although it's certainly possible for vegans (like non-vegans) to eat a diet that doesn't meet their nutritional needs and/or leads to illness.

strawberries, black berries, ect you can when your adapted. for me anything over 20g of net carb/simple carbs/sugars in general is too high or at lest for me. If I go over the 20g I normally start getting bad pains as well as bad headaches I am just the type of person who can't have that type of stuff if i want to be healthy. That and I think with the vegan diet that I tried it was high in plant proteins which i can't have in large amounts unless i want bad kidney pain. When I have days that I do workouts I can sometimes get away with a little more but that's rather rare like this week where i was at lest able to get my 40 miles in without freezing rain or work. But I normally stay away from fruits and a certain veggies because of my systems intolerance to them.