Why does this food even exist?

Options

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Why is carrot cake a thing? Why in the world did someone look at cake and say to themselves, "This needs a vegetable"?

Ban yourself. Carrot cake is the greatest invention ever. Rum is a close 2nd.

I'll take the rum, and the rum cake too. You can keep that Carrot nastiness to yourself. :smile:
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    The holidays are here and I'm getting my fair share of impersonal corporate gifts. I can't tell you how many liquor filled chocolates I've received. I can't imagine who actually likes these things and for the life of me have no idea how they've become such a standard holiday item.

I know we all have foods that we just don't like, but at least in most of those cases it's not too much of a stretch to see how/why others could like them.

That said, some foods are so bad that it's impossible to think of anything appealing about them. What are they for you? What food items baffle you by their mere existence?

Liquor filled chocolates and Danish salty licorice are mine...I can't figure out why anybody finds them appealing!

It's pretty clear that someone felt the flavors complimentary. However, there was some precedent: since the 18th century French had been making a confection called a "girotte" which involved soaking a sour cherry in kirsch and then covering it in cocoa and, later, chocolate. By the end of the 19th century, they'd more or less become what we today call a "cherry cordial" except that the syrup contained alcohol.

They just expanded upon it from there.

The more you know...
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Tripe, head cheese, pimento loaf, liverwurst, Vienna sausage, and....

Spammity Spam, Spammity Spam! :s:s

While I'll take a big pass on the rest, a crispy slice of fried Spam is a yummy childhood memory. I think it's also the official snack food of Hawaii. On a recent visit there, we saw Spam musubi (spammity sushi) in almost every store so someone's eating it!

q4uw5tv74ujs.png

Spam musubi is truth. It's the first thing I grab at the airport or closest convenience store to the airport whenever we fly to Hawaii.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    3 Musketeers. Why??

+1 Still can't figure out who buys those nasty things.

I make sure to get some 3 Muskaeteers at Halloween because I absolutely will not be tempted. Not even a little.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Fruit cake. I doesn't make sense... fruit? Good. Cake? Great. Fruit cake? Nasty crap.

My mom used to buy this when we were kids and I always thought it was god awful!! So gross.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Tripe, head cheese, pimento loaf, liverwurst, Vienna sausage, and....

Spammity Spam, Spammity Spam! :s:s

I think i threw up in my mouth. Although I do remember eating hog head cheese on crackers with hot sauce as a kid and i used to love it. Go figure.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Growing up, fried Spam with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese was a not-infrequent dinner at our house.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Christmas pudding with brandy butter...my MIL makes it anytime she's over for Christmas or we're over there...you'd think after 17 years I would have acquired a taste for it...nope...that's some not very good *kitten* right there...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Growing up, fried Spam with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese was a not-infrequent dinner at our house.

We did Kraft Mac & Cheese and Oscar Meyer hot dogs, which is pretty darn close to the same thing :) My mom would slice the hotdogs into rounds and brown them in a fry pan.

To get on topic... I love alcohol, I live on chocolate, but I agree there is something oddly nasty about those liqour filled chocolates. Weird.

Also agree with Jordan Almonds. And what kind of horrible thoughts went into them being the popular wedding favor for like a decade? I gave you a nice check and you gave me five inedible Jordan Almonds in netting???
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Why is carrot cake a thing? Why in the world did someone look at cake and say to themselves, "This needs a vegetable"?

So......zuchinni bread would be out of the question??
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

So......zuchinni bread would be out of the question??

Correct. Ew.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »

Ban yourself. Carrot cake is the greatest invention ever. Rum is a close 2nd.

You know, I'll bet a person could take some carrot cake, brush it with rum, layer it with cream cheese and/or mascarpone whipped with heavy cream, in a sort of tiramisu fashion, and really have something there.

< . . . wanders off toward kitchen, whistling innocently . . . .>

:o
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Eggnog. BLEGH.