Just for Today ..... Daily Commitment Thread- Start of a new year!

Replies

• mamaof3boys18
    mamaof3boys18 Posts: 8 Member
    Why can I not see my full posts? I type a lot but only see a little. Where did the rest of it go?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Sometimes emoticons or images will eat posts, I've heard.
  • bcTRAI
    bcTRAI Posts: 414 Member
    edited December 2017
    bcTRAI wrote: »
    JFT Saturday
    1. Water :)
    2. Laundry :)
    3. Studio time :)
    4. Brush and floss :)
    5. Bed by 10:30 :)

JFT Sunday
    1. Water
    2. New year's eve shift at work
    3. Pick up Miss Thea for sleepover
    4. Laundry
    5. Brush and floss
    6. Bed by 10:30 (I know it's new year's eve but I never make it to 12 anyways :p)
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    joan6630 wrote: »
    1. I wanted to make wedding gowns for each of my children before I wasn’t able to. This year I made the last one for my youngest daughter.

OMG - you sew wedding gowns! How exciting! I used to sew all my own clothes, but now I mostly just sew quilts. I don't think I could ever tackle a wedding gown. That is so great that you can do this! I would love to see a picture of it if you have one!

My favorite prom dress (eons ago) was made to order by my grandmother. Very classic simple dress in a flattering fabric. That woman could sew. What skills you both have!
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member
    edited December 2017
    Saturday, Dec 30
    1. go to the gym. :) Already done. I can't believe how much I enjoy this now. Got in 60 minutes on the treadmill - a great start after missing the gym for a week! :):)
    2. drink water :)
    3. go to the grocery store :)
    4. clean up the guest room - rearranging furniture, and putting old TV in there :)
    5. finish cleaning up the LR. Hubby got a new tv, so everything is torn up and a mess! :)
    6. Get groceries/plan new years eve snacks :)
    7. do laundry :)
    8. log all food - concentrate on healthy choices :/ Did pretty good all day, but grabbed a donut at the grocery store! This is what happens when I skip lunch!
    9. aim for 8 glasses of water today! [/b] :/ Working on that now!

SUnday
    1. log all food
    2. sew on chemo hats. My goal was to have 40 made by january, so I have a ways to go
    3. celebrate tomorrow evening with my husband and daughter. It will be 45 years ago that I met my husband on a blind date, so New Years eve is special to us. So it will be a relaxing evening with our daughter, some hordorves, wine, and watching a movie.
    4. drink water
    5. go to the gym in the morning --- even if it is only 4 degrees outside!!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member

JFT - Friday 12/29
    1. Journal intake and stay in the GREEN :)
    2. HYDRATE. Drink five 16 oz bottles of water today. :)
    3. Remember to take Fish Oil and Calcium supplements tonight :)
    4. Treadmill - Beat last night's time (should not be hard to do since last night's time was so pathetic!) :( Didn't hop on it last night.
    5. No ice cream tonight with husband :/
    6. Listen to Optimal Living podcasts :)
    7. No early bedtime since it is Friday, but still write 5 things I'm thankful for in gratitude journal and read Simple Abundance :)
    8. Perform at least one random act of kindness today :)

Just for Saturday
    1. Journal intake and stay in the GREEN :)
    2. HYDRATE! :)
    3. Remember to take Fish Oil tonight :)
    4. January's Budget :)
    5. Listen to Optimal Living Daily podcasts :)
    6. Journal 5 things I'm grateful for and read Simple Abundance before bed :)
    7. Declutter bathroom drawers and kitchen cupboards :)
    8. Clean refrigerator and throw out leftovers :)
    9. Grocery list for week :/
    10. Watch a movie with DH tonight and be in the present ;)

• junodog1
    edited December 2017
    These days of December have passed so quickly. It seems I just posted but it was weeks ago. Good grief!

@OConnell5483 - I also say WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP!

I hope my job transition goes as smoothly as @OConnell5483. I start in mid January. I have to give notice the day we return from winter closure, January 2. I absolutely could not tell my boss I was leaving before the break. That would have been cruel. I am not leaving the boss or the people in the department I work with; I am leaving an organization that does not value our contributions.

It sounds like the group had some very positive Christmas days. We had a lovely few days. On Christmas Eve we went to late candlelight services with our daughter. Christmas Day was hosted by my son and DIL with my granddaughter. They did a great job. We all brought food. I was assigned the ham, dairy free mashed potatoes (I had to use the internet for that) and a bean/corn salad. They had 18 people, 8 children. It was fun! That evening we went to see my daughter after she got of work. (The tourism industry is 24x7) The day after Christmas we drove up to see my mom. As I bonus I saw one off my brothers and a nephew.

@bcTRAI said something a few days ago about how much stuff we cram into our lives at this time of year without altering anything and then we stress about it. She is so right. A few years ago I started to de-stress at this time. I don't try to do it all. This year I was wrapping presents on Christmas day, but it was OK because the presents would not be given out until after Christmas. I tried to focus on getting reasonable exercise and sleep this year. The food battle has not been successful this season. I have tried to be 'mindful' of what I eat. I think it has helped. Logging every bite would have been more helpful, but like I said above I am not going to stress over it. That would make it worse. The three month weigh in will not be where I want to be, but compared to prior years there has been control. MFP Forums are one of the things that had to slip for a little bit.

I am down in Florida. We are having a few cool days and are about to have a few cold days but nothing like most of the rest of the US. Please stay safe with all the snow, ice and low low temperatures. My husband is from upstate New York and tells me horror stories. The pictures his friends and relatives are sending are crazy. The upstate area is getting heavy, lake effect snow. And oh my lord - the low temperatures in Minnesota....! Well with that in mind let me leave this: Snowflake Photography
  • junodog1
    Hello to the new posters! Nice to see people making strides. Welcome. I am not as regular as some but I am (or should be) committed!
  • jschoenfeld01
    jschoenfeld01 Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2017
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Ooo I love crocheting too! But with two kiddies I find it hard to find time! What sort of things do you make?

I actually just recently started. My grandma started to teach me last year after Christmas, I stopped but found all my stuff and decided to pick it up. I’ve made 2 amigurumi owls and 1 credit card pouch. I think I’m going to try a blanket so I can work on something long term. It’s relaxing and it’s nice to create something by hand. My daughter’s 9 and I’m trying to teach her, hopefully she enjoys it.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,049 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    Ooo I love crocheting too! But with two kiddies I find it hard to find time! What sort of things do you make?

I actually just recently started. My grandma started to teach me last year after Christmas, I stopped but found all my stuff and decided to pick it up. I’ve made 2 amigurumi owls and 1 credit card pouch. I think I’m going to try a blanket so I can work on something long term. It’s relaxing and it’s nice to create something by hand. My daughter’s 9 and I’m trying to teach her, hopefully she enjoys it.

That’s awesome :)
    Tbh I only started last year I think.
    I have about 15 projects... nonnif them finished :lol:
    I find it relaxing too, almost too relaxing bexause it also makes me fall asleep lol!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,049 Member
    Ok! I’ve been on a self-discovery journey this year and one thing I’ve found out about myself is that I withdraw and hide if I ever don’t follow through with what I’ve said. I feel shame and guilt and I pull away. I’m saying this because on Wednesday’s JFT I only completed 1 thing- drank 8 glasses of water, I didn’t post a JFT for yesterday or today and I caught myself just withdrawing from this group right away. So I’m stepping outside my normal routine and coming back in.

I’ve found I have trouble with tracking when I eat something I have no idea how to track. It usually happens with our Mexican sweet treats (which I really shouldn’t be having, but they are among my faves) and then I just kinda give up. Perhaps I should just keep a written journal for now? That way I eliminate one of my obstacles. Anyone else have this trouble?

Firstly it’s great you’ve come back!
    The thing about this group is that it doesn’t matter if you don’t finish the goals. There is no judgement and we’re all supportive. I frequently don’t finish my goals. And instead of shying away you can ask us for different techniques on how we keep things up, because we all do it a bit differently and one way mightt work for you!

With the stuff you don’t know how to track do you mean there’s no calorie information on them? Or you don’t know how much you’re eating of them?
    Scales is what you need. Bit of a pain in the *kitten* at times but scales will give you accurate logging.
    Tbh I keep a notebook in the kitchen and scribble down what I’m eating and weights and stuff and add it to the mfp journal when I get some time!
    I try do it midday though so I know how many calories I have left for my dinner.

Joan will be starting a new JFT thread on 1st Jan so look out for it and come join us there!
  • mamaof3boys18
    mamaof3boys18 Posts: 8 Member
    Sunday 12/31
    Drink 60 oz. water
    Wall sit 3x
    Plank 2x
    Stretch 2x
    Finish Fitbit challenge AND WIN!
  • clicketykeys
    I’ve found I have trouble with tracking when I eat something I have no idea how to track. It usually happens with our Mexican sweet treats (which I really shouldn’t be having, but they are among my faves) and then I just kinda give up. Perhaps I should just keep a written journal for now? That way I eliminate one of my obstacles. Anyone else have this trouble?

Is this something that you buy and then bring to the house or when you go out to eat? If the calorie information isn't available, see if you can find a recipe for it, enter that, and use it as a guess. Even with weighing everything you can, logging isn't going to be perfect. Like - take eggs, for example. I don't weigh eggs. But even if I DID, some eggs are more-yolk-less-white, which means they're going to have a higher fat percentage and probably a few more calories, and other eggs are more-white-less-yolk. You know? So we do the best we can.

The TRUE test of whether or not it's working is the tape measure and the scale! So if you log for awhile and you notice you're not seeing the results you'd hoped for, that means it's time to make some changes, either to what you're doing, or to your goals.

Checking in from Saturday:
    1. Gym at 10:00, do weights ✔. Treadmill to 9k ✔. Get to 11k by 6 PM around the house. ✔ Little late, but I took a nap.
    2. Prelog food ✔. Eat only what's already been logged into MFP ✔. Stay within calorie goal. ✔
    3. Daily practice: Duolingo. ✔ Run lines. ✔ Practice piano 20 min. ✔
    4. Lunch/coffee with B. ✔
    5. Grade late work from the end of the semester. ❌ AUUUUGH!
    6. Request unofficial transcript. ✔
    7. Call Disney to add a person to a dining reservation. ❌
    8. Check grocery list with husband to what I've missed/forgotten. ✔ Pick up groceries. ❌
    9. Begin re-reading Ready Player One. ❌ Need to revisit this but it's going to have to wait.
    10. Contact Lifetouch about portraits. ✔
    11. Write a Five Things for today - I'll try to think of five things I'm glad I've accomplished. ✔
    12. Make the bed in the guest room. ✔
    13. Teeth flossed/rinsed/brushed; in bed by 10. ❌ But I adjusted that goal; I took a nap and then stayed up to 12:30 to hopefully get my body ready to nap today and stay up late for New Year's.

JFT Sunday:
    1. Gym after check-in, treadmill to 4k. Weights day 2. Treadmill to 10k.
    2. Get groceries. Try to get to 12k there and/or around the house.
    3. Prelog food. Eat only what's already been logged into MFP. Stay within calorie goal.
    4. Daily practice: Duolingo. Run lines. 20 minutes piano.
    5. Grade late work.
    6. Call Disney to add a person to our dining reservation.
    7. CLEAN THE HOUSE! DH: Sweep the floors, scrub the griddle and put it away, load the dishwasher, wipe the counters. Me: Scrub the toilets, tub, and sinks; put laundry away.
    8. Write a Five Things post. Maybe today's will be ... Five People I'm Grateful For. Something like that.
    9. Check in with Z for arrival time.
    10. Check email to see if I've been called in to work at the park.
    11. NAP - probably by 1:00?
    12. Remember to take meds and floss/rinse/brush teeth.

Scale goals
    Dec 1 weigh-in: 176.6
    Jan 1 goal: 169.6 - 7 lbs, should be ~1.5/week

Today: 174.6 - Hurray! Another mini-whoosh! Probably NOT going to hit that Jan 1 goal, hahaha, BUT I am just over the moon to be below my December 1 weigh-in! Considering all of the treats I had during the last few weeks of the semester, and then several family gatherings, I am just super super super happy.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    I really suck at life :neutral:

Nope, you're just having a rough bit. :)

Thanks o:)

Slept pretty well last night. I had no urge to binge. So JFT I will......

- Workout for 30 mins
    - Stay within my calories
    - Put my phone down by 9
    - Get to sleep by 10
    - Do some chores
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    MLHC1 wrote: »
    12/30 Saturday JFT:

✔▪Breakfast
    ✔▪Elliptical
    ✔▪Stretch
    ✔▪Lunch
    ✔▪Put up Christmas Decorations
    ❌▪Finish organizing office
    ❌▪Prenatal Yoga
    ✔▪Dinner by 7:30 pm
    ✔▪Bedtime by 10 pm

I'm a good example for not getting all my goals accomplished, Lol!! I do what I can. Yesterday after lunch my head started hurting; well it turns out I've caught the cold from my little one. I had to move to the couch at 4 am just so I could breathe :lol: I woke up to my hubby making breakfast :heart: So today started out nice even though I'm feeling under the weather a bit.

12/31 Sunday JFT:

▪Breakfast
    ▪Plan the day with hubby
    (Him and our eldest son are working on the remodel today.)
    ▪Organize office
    ▪Work on research abstract draft
    ▪Prenatal Yoga
    (Skipping elliptical today bc I can't breathe well)
    ▪Stay hydrated
    ▪Dinner 8 pm (hubby is cooking tonight :blush: )
    ▪Maybe stay up to ring in the new year, we'll see how I feel.

:star::star: Happy New Year's Eve :star::star:
  • clicketykeys
    I'm a good example for not getting all my goals accomplished, Lol!! I do what I can. Yesterday after lunch my head started hurting; well it turns out I've caught the cold from my little one. I had to move to the couch at 4 am just so I could breathe :lol: I woke up to my hubby making breakfast :heart: So today started out nice even though I'm feeling under the weather a bit.

Sorry you're not feeling well! I tend to not get my goals accomplished, but part of my strategy is that I deliberately overplan, but I build forgiveness into that plan. I feel like part of the point of a goal is that it's something that challenges you. So if I don't accomplish all of my goals, but I know that I worked hard, I'm still pleased with that result.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,181 Member

Seems to be a lot of this going around! I am finally starting to feel a little better. I hope you feel better soon