Why I left Weight Watchers new "Freestyle" Program

Options

Replies

• yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've just left ww for the same reason, the new flex system. Introduced out of the blue with no supporting evidence that it performs better than smartpoints, with which I have lost 50 lbs. I'm going to lose the rest with exercise and calorie control.
  • silverstah
    silverstah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ugh - yeah, the new system is terrible. I felt like I could easily portion control with SmartPoints (still focusing on lean meats, veggies, etc) - but this new system is really messed up.

I’ve been tracking here for the last five days, using a loose Whole 30-esque food list, and I’ve been really happy with that so far. I feel much more in control!
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I tried WW in high school i think its good for beginners but watching what you eat and calorie counting imo is easier and makes just as much if not more sense.
  • gypsygrl153
    gypsygrl153 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have done ww off and on in the past years. I joined back this year because a lot of the foods I enjoy are on the zero list. So I’m hoping it will work for me. I had good luck with it a few years ago but I couldn’t keep up with counting and calculating so I failed miserably at that. But I did lose a bit of weight before on it. I am not going to trash anyone who chooses to continue or discontinue the program. We all have our own journey!
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Complaining about Weight Watchers? I'm in! People keep telling me I should join, but besides the inconvenient meeting hours, I just don't like any of their plans. They say their plans are so simple and convenient but they really aren't. I've tried going through my Chinese buffet, counting various points in my head and it's impossible. On the other hand, I can go through keeping a running estimate of calories in my head with no trouble. The new, free foods plan would be terrible for me because I have GERD and almost all fruits are too acidic for me. I also find that I have less hunger and lose faster if I keep plenty of fat and protein in my meals, and that might just go past the strict point system, even though it stays within my calorie limit. WW is not for everyone.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I did weight watcher back when they were on points plus. When the only free things were fruits and veg. I left once they moved to smart points because it seemed like the punishment for carbs was kind of drastic. Foods I used to eat for 4 points suddenly became 11. It was too much of an adjustment to get used to.

I think they are moving more toward general better eating tools for people who have very poor diets. I get what they're doing and it has it's place but won't work for most.

If you eat nothing but takeout, pizza, wings and soda and decide to join weightwatchers you likely will lose weight and learn to eat better. Regardless of the amount of free food you eat. It's no longer a place for people looking to lose 5-20 pounds. It's a learning tool, meant to be used for losing 50+ pounds.

If you're someone who already eats all the foods regularly on their new list you're already past the point of needing their guidance.

I agree about the carbs issue. I left after struggling with the change to smart points. As a vegetarian I felt that my lifestyle was penalised when compared to someone that ate meat and fish.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I see why would they make the change. If you like counting - calorie counting is the easiest, most flexible with apps as MFP accessible for free. Other methods are left trying to cater for people that want to do as little counting as possible.

• JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    A co-worker of mine does weight watchers, she started last year and has been pretty successful, but she didn't have that much to lose. We compared notes btw MFP and WW a few months ago and I think that was around the time WW was switching over to the freestyle program as she told me bananas used to be 1 point, now they're 0 because people were choosing an unhealthier option which was also 1 point (forgot what it was). The next time we get a lunch together I should ask her what she thinks of the freestyle program, if she likes it or not. She'll probably stick with it tho b/c she chose WW for the accountability.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I was more or less being sarcastic... IMO once chicken and everything else got added to the 0 point list, it seems rather pointless of a program now.

I see what you did there LOL :trollface:

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SFJULES66 wrote: »
    Bananas have been zero for a looong time and continue to be on Freestyle. I used WW for years and finally decided it wasn't right for me. I am more accountable when I count calories instead of using a mysterious point formula to track my intake. Weight loss is calories in, calories out, and I've come to the realization that there are no magic weight loss foods. In real life treats aren't double the calories, they are JUST CALORIES. Using the healthy guidelines provided here helps me stay on track and the formula never changes. Best to you in 2018!

yeah and most bananas are 80-100 calories so if you were to eat say 3 theres 240-300 calories alone. making it zero points and saying those foods are free many will think they can eat as much of those foods as they want and not gain.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great discussion since I was on WW recently and wondered about this new program. Thanks!