WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Ginger Good to see you posting! Happy New Year! and Welcome to all the new women!

@OConnell5483 We live on a pond. No lake, just a small pond, but we have lots of wildlife. We saw a Bald Eagle recently, and there are hawks, Blue Herons, Canada Geese, ducks, turtles, frogs, bass, sunfish, snakes, etc., and many, many songbirds. I worry about the songbirds with the hawks and eagles but 'tis the circle of life...

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did one segment of 10MS Tone Trouble Zones DVD, held my plank for 2 min 53 sec, then did the Get Ripped with Jari Love DVD. Boy, holding that plank was work today. Well, that's what happens when you don't do it for 2 weeks. I had to keep saying "you can do it". The plan for tomorrow is to do Gilad's Cardio Classic DVD

Wendy - I really hope the New Year is good to you. In a way it's nice that dd#1 moved back home.

Joyce - so glad that you are home. You know, when you're in your own bed and your own pajamas, don't have someone taking your bp at all hours of the night, you'll most likely get better faster.

It's 21 degrees here. I'm so cold. And for me that's unusual. Could use a hot flash about now. Well, at least it isn't as bad as Jess (17) and Denise (11). We're having mahjongg tonight and I'm seriously considering putting on longjohns (I park up the hill and walk down to her house because I always bottom out pulling out of her driveway).

janetr - I'm like you, the same goals over and over. So I've given up setting goals. I know what I want to do and if it happens, that's great

Viv - I'm so sorry about your granson. Glad they found out what caused the seizure. The two teeth he knocked out -- were they baby teeth?

Karen in VA - you sound as much of a party animal as me. Only I didn't go to bed before the ball dropped. But I did go to bed right after. Ball drop, called the girls to wish them a Happy New Year, and then bed.

Debbie from TN - welcome! Good for you being up only 4 pounds. I think that's probably how much I'm up. But I know that I'll lose it

Vince got a few more controllers. Someone was selling them on eBay. Just what we need --- NOT

Deb from NJ and Karen and Terina - welcome!

Lenora - so glad you found us again! Glad to hear you're getting better all the time. How I hated not being able to drive so I completely understand your feeling. It'll feel so great once you can drive, believe me

Kate - feel better soon

I sent Denise a message on facebook saying how hurt I was that she posted a picture of the placq that the people at Kennett made but nothing, no picture, no mention, of the placq I had made for her. She messaged me back saying that she only posted the pictures that she had on her phone. Is that lame or is that lame? I know I sent the pictures to Pete. All she had to do was ask him to send it to her and it would have been on her phone. She evidentally took a picture of the placq that the people at Kennett made. She could just as easily have taken a picture of the placq that I made. But she didn't.

Rita - spectacular!

Victoria - welcome. Come here for lots and lots of support

Carol - welcome

mtcmarks - you became part of the group the minute you posted. Come back often

Just got back from playing mahjongg. I maj'd twice, both times on hands that I'd never done before

subdew - longjohns, here you come. That's awful!

Lisa and Fran - welcome

Ginger - (((HUG)))

Don't really know why, but I'm really, really, cold. Going to go to bed.

Michele in NC
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Machka and Marilyn

I'm assuming you mean me, unless I have missed a Marilyn.

My name is Marcelyn. Not Marilyn. I get everything from Marilyn, Marcella, Marchella... but it's Marcelyn. Pronounced "Mar-suh-lynn".

Sometimes I just get tired of always answering to something else (in school they would start with my brother's name and go through all the siblings before they got to me - small town, same teachers for all of us)

If you were talking to a Marilyn I missed, sorry.

Thanks.
    Marcelyn

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Sorry, Marcelyn! Yes, I meant you as the other runner who has noticed it is quite possible to gain weight while running! LOL fz4qe2jb6ulg.gif
    Wendy
  • MelaniefromGA
    MelaniefromGA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m still trying to figure out how to read the comments/replies..? I’d like to read it chronologically, but how to do that?

My name is Melanie. I live in a northern suburb of Atlanta and am SO READY TO GET STARTED!

Have been devoting all my time and energy to my 16 year old twins and to my job that somehow I “lost me” along the way. 2018 is going to be all about self care
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    khahn72856 wrote: »
    What is the name of the book?

The book that started my life changing journey is "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. I later read other books by her and books that she suggested which led to other books.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    mtcmarks wrote: »
    I’m still trying to figure out how to read the comments/replies..? I’d like to read it chronologically, but how to do that?

My name is Melanie. I live in a northern suburb of Atlanta and am SO READY TO GET STARTED!

Have been devoting all my time and energy to my 16 year old twins and to my job that somehow I “lost me” along the way. 2018 is going to be all about self care

:) Welcome, now that you've posted and bookmarked the thread, it should take you back to where you last read or at least to that page, then you can read what's been posted since you were last here. You will find many women here with situations and challenges similar to yours.

:) Barbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,193 Member
    Options
    mtcmarks wrote: »

Start at the beginning and work your way through to the end. :) I skim because there can be a lot, and if I see something ... like your comment here ... I hit quote and reply. :)

Each time you come in, you'll find yourself approximately at the last post someone made when you left. So you might want to scroll up a bit if you want to see all the posts.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Machka and Marilyn

I'm assuming you mean me, unless I have missed a Marilyn.

My name is Marcelyn. Not Marilyn. I get everything from Marilyn, Marcella, Marchella... but it's Marcelyn. Pronounced "Mar-suh-lynn".

Sometimes I just get tired of always answering to something else (in school they would start with my brother's name and go through all the siblings before they got to me - small town, same teachers for all of us)

If you were talking to a Marilyn I missed, sorry.

Thanks.
    Marcelyn
    Sorry, Marcelyn! Yes, I meant you as the other runner who has noticed it is quite possible to gain weight while running! LOL fz4qe2jb6ulg.gif
    Wendy

I get every name and spelling in the book for all my names. :grin:

It's actually good to hear that the weight gain does happen to other runners too.

Have you two always been into running or did you start relatively recently?

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Found my stats for as long as I’ve been on MFP. Not very impressed for the length of time I’ve been a member. I need to improve for my health!

Where did you find those stats?

• wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Machka, I have run off and on most of my adult life. I absolutely HATED it at school where I was forced to run "cross country" and I would usually get my mother to write me a note excusing me! LOL But I generally train for a specific event and then take a break and do something different for awhile, and when I feel like running again I start up again. I also bike, hike, walk, ride horses, garden, lift weights, play social tennis and work in the paddocks. <3 Wendy
  • Machka9
    Options
    Today I'm back at work. It was not easy getting up this morning!! I had two cups of very strong, black coffee when I arrived at work.

Since I've been off for 10 days, I've had to spend the morning regrouping, dealing with emails, taking down some Christmas decorations, etc.

I also discovered that my food drawer was more empty than I thought. I knew I was using things up before Christmas, but hadn't realised I had used up quite that much. So I had to go food shopping at lunch today.

First stop was a local fresh fruit and veg market. They have other stuff as well, but fresh fruit and veg are their specialty. I came away with bananas, pineapple, and grapes for work. Grapes are great because each grape is about 2 calories, so I can nibble on, say, 15 grapes throughout the day, and only consume about 30 calories. Given that one lolly (candy) is about 30 calories ... I'll take the grapes! :)

Next stop was an ordinary supermarket where I got my chicken and some things for dinner tonight.

I probably will eat slightly higher calories until about mid-January, but less than I have been over the past few weeks. With my planned exercise level, hopefully that will all work out in my favour. :)

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Lenora seems like the 29th is a long time to wait to see your regular MD, hope you can get through to him tomorrow and that the conversation is productive.

Mindful Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka, I have run off and on most of my adult life. I absolutely HATED it at school where I was forced to run "cross country" and I would usually get my mother to write me a note excusing me! LOL But I generally train for a specific event and then take a break and do something different for awhile, and when I feel like running again I start up again. I also bike, hike, walk, ride horses, garden, lift weights, play social tennis and work in the paddocks. <3 Wendy

Variety is good! :)

I ran quite a bit from the time I was about 12 until I was about 19. At first it was short distance racing in school (I raced the 200 and 400 metre races), but we'd do longer distance running as part of the training. Then later, I started running 2 or 3 km quite frequently ... almost every day.

Between about 19 and 23, I didn't do much in the way of exercise. I'd ride my bicycle occasionally, walk a bit, kind of dabble in weight lifting, but nothing regular.

At 23, my now-ex husband and I started going to the gym and training with a bodybuilder, and I got into bodybuilding for a couple years. My coach wanted me to do comps, but I didn't have enough self-confidence for that. At the same time, I was cycling for cardio ... and then gradually moved into cycling mostly and the bodybuilding dropped off.

And I've been cycling regularly ever since! I did get into running a couple winters in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and then occasionally after we moved to Tasmania.

I suspect I might do something like you do ... train for certain running events and then get back into cycling again. I'm hoping this 10K coming up in 2 weeks goes well. Then I might, maybe, possibly train for a half marathon later in the year. We'll see.

Machka in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Welcome to the new ladies!

We are watching CFB playoff games this evening. Our Sooners have started strong, here’s hoping they can keep it up!

Okie in the TX Hill Country

It was a great game. Don’t hate me for being happy the Dawgs came out on top.

Aaarrrgghhhhh. But we still love you. <3

Janetr OKC