WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Daycare news: I don't know if I told you, but when I returned to work after my vacation I started a Potty Boot Camp for my four un-potty trained toddlers. I am happy to report, that after two weeks, all of the toddlers are potty trained! For me, that means that I went from changing 15-20 diapers a day, down to 4 (baby Stella)! I am sure I hear angels singing! o:)

Well, gotta fly! Love and hugs to you all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

I worked in daycares for about 3 years in my early 20s, and in the place I worked the longest (almost 2 years) I had a room full of 18-months to 3 year children. There came a point where I did something like a Potty Boot Camp too. :grin:

• Machka9
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sisters:

What do you eat for breakfast?

What sorts of jobs are you retired from? Or, like me, are you still working?

Do you work part-time, or volunteer in retirement?

Karen in Virginia

I don't eat breakfast during the week ... only on weekends.

I currently work full time for the State Government and attend university parttime working, very slowly, toward a Masters in ICT.

But I've done a whole lot of different things over the years: waitressing, retail, childcare/teaching, cleaning, drafting, document control, database administration ... and more! Many years, I've worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time. Once I had 4 of them on the go, and I had trouble answering the phone because I'd forget where I was!! I'd pick up the phone and answer with the name of the place I'd just been a few hours earlier rather than the place I was then! :lol: Fortunately, that only lasted from about September to January, over the Christmas season, that year.

Regarding the breakfast thing ... my usual mornings look like this:

Get up and dash out the door.
    Quick walk to the bus.
    Bus into work.
    If I'm early enough, I'll hop off the bus a stop or two or three early and walk the rest of the way
    Climb 2 flights of stairs (first 2 of the day, hopefully aiming for 10+).
    Make myself a cup of black coffee and pour myself a glass of cold water and I'm ready to start my day.
    About 10:15 am, I'll get up and climb a bunch of flights of stairs.
    About 10:30 - 11:00 am, I'll have one of those small cheese and cracker snacks.
    About 12:30, I'll have a banana.
    And then I head out for about 45-55 minutes of walking and/or errand running.
    On my way back, I'll climb anywhere from 2-4 flights of stairs.
    About 2 pm, I have lunch.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Karen UK Great to see someone from UK on our thread, love our US and Australian and New Zealand gals but I are sometimes feel a bit lonely not sure how Heather feels.

Watching snooker at the moment, not sure if popular in US but DH and I love it, don't like football at all

I used to watch snooker when I lived in Canada! :grin:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    LIsa, I want to be where you are! That looks and sounds so divine, What is the temperature there?

Michele, I thought of. You last night. We drove by Aldi's and the parking lot was so full. Was wondering if one of them was you.

Breakfast, no, although I love to order breakfast when I am out. Job, I was an RN. The only other job I have had was working as a waitress in the summer between my first two years of college. It wasn't a typical waitress job because the patrons didn't order, they are what we brought out to them.

Retirement, I a, a professional recliner sitter. I love to see my grand kids but I don't want them to be here to long. A weekend is fine. When we have a vacation, we go for at least a week and the whole family goes. Both our daughters and the one son in law and two grand kids. I enjoy them. It glad for the week to be over. I guess the car ride is the worst part of it. If Ellie has the back seat to

Right now I'm having cuddle time with Mozart. He 'arrives' on my lap. He weighs over 12 pounds and just leaps from the floor onto my lap. Melody jumps onto the footrest and then just makes her way on my lap. But it's not long that Mozart is sound asleep. And he is completely sprawled our. I just know not to touch his belly. That is a no-no for him.

Well it reached 50 today! Tomorrow it will be in the 50's most of the day and start raining in the evening.

Love you guys Joyce, Indiana
  • Machka9
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Where I struggle is lunch. I get too lazy and just grab cheese and crackers or something similar. I seriously need to work on lunch.

My lunch is almost always the same thing ... and because I am not much of a cook (I bake ... I don't cook, unless it is in my slow cooker) ... it is the easiest thing I could put together ...

Sunrice (or similar) single serve cups or packets of brown rice, into the microwave for 1 minute
    Tin of chicken flakes into a bowl
    Single serve mixed frozen veggies into the microwave for 2:30
    Mix it all together ... and that's lunch!

Those single serves of mixed veggies actually give me what Australia and Canada deem "two servings" of veggies, so that's good. Then I have some raw veggies when I get home after work, probably another serving. And then my husband makes dinner with quite a lot of veggies ... adding up to a total of 5-7 servings of veggies each day. :)

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :) Breakfast--I get up between 3:30 and 4:30 every morning and walk both dogs for about 40 minutes. Then I have a chocolate Isagenix shake with a scoop of flax seed. I do a few computer things including reading this thread while I eat, then meditate for 16 minutes. Then I walk the dogs again for 90-120 minutes.

:) My professional life--I taught grades 1-4 in public school, first in Baltimore, then at Naha AFB, Okinawa, then in Eureka, CA. I retired at age 58. Until then, I had been eager for the challenge which was to do the impossible with too little money and too little time. One day I walked into a staff meeting and realized that I was finished and ready to move on.

:) I have enjoyed retirement and used the time to improve my knitting skills, travel, read, spend more time with my husband, and add dogs to my life. About six months after I retired I tried a line dance class and enjoyed it so much that I made it a high priority in my life and now I teach a weekly class and attend two other classes as a student.

:)Barbara, You asked me to share tips from "Thinner This Year". The book doesn't lend itself to that. We all know that to get thinner and stay that way, the trick is to eat healthier, eat less, and exercise more. Reading the book provides the information that will help one be inclined to do that. Everyone know to eat broccoli instead of candy bars and be active instead of lying around, but what's necessary is to build the inclination to take those actions.

:) I started taking mini actions to get going on my 2017 income tax. !5 minutes a day will get it done in a timely manner without making me crazy.

<3 Barbie from chilly drizzly NW Washington

2191610q208gshr57.gif
  • Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M - To be honest, I'm wondering why you couldn't make the jam without any of the sugar. The fruit is sweet enough. I'll be interested to see if you need to add the sugar to have it set up properly. I hope not. Maybe more of the sugar/pectin????

My jam is partially set ... and now I'm wondering if I should attempt to fix it, or just leave it as is. It's kind of the consistency of a slightly loose grape jelly. I was hoping for something a lot more solid, but this might be OK this time. If I make it again, I think I would add more of the sugar with pectin.

I tasted a bit just now, and it is super sweet ... I really don't want to have to add more sugar.

BTW - this is my low-calorie way of using up "past due" cherries. :) My other option was to bake something with the cherries, which is what I've done in the past, but then you've got the crumbles or trifles or pies or whatever to eat, and they can be quite high in calories.

Currently I eat a piece of toast with honey as my late evening snack. That fits in my calorie count. So I figured I could substitute the honey with cherry jam (with half the recommended added sugar), and use up the cherries over the next several months, a bit at a time.

However, with this batch being as loose as it is, I might end up using a teaspoon or so as a topping on my yogurt instead of on toast. That might be nice. :)

M in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am grateful for stainless steel, Joe's sense of smell and that I didn't burn the house down. Steamed 4 artichokes, when they were almost done, took the tenderest out to eat and left the other 3 in the pot to finish steaming with the residual heat. Thought I turned off the burner but apparently not! It smelled bad enough to wake Joe up from his nap in the living room. I couldn't smell it in the bedroom where I was napping. Scary. New habit: check and the stove after every use, then check it again.

Karen in Va great questions!
    -Breakfast: lowfat cottage cheese with fruit and nuts, or greek yoghurt with honey and granola, or oatmeal and a veggie breakfast patty but always tea with honey, sometimes with lemon zest and cayenne.
    -Work: Been in transportation since I was 9 working with my Dad in his express agency office. When computers first came in, I was the only one stubborn enough to make it do what I wanted it to, so I ended up in pc/network support for the last 25 years with the company. Feared retirement needlessly. Miss the people and the sense of accomplishment, do NOT miss the corporate bull puckey. Company is now going through a merger, changing email and office productivity systems, laying off many of the more seasoned/expensive managers and staff. So grateful I retired when I did!!!
    -In retirement: Before I retired in I started volunteering with our animal shelter, doing office work, as I dared not go into the kennels. Can you say potential animal hoarder? Since we moved on Labor Day haven't found my weekly volunteer niche yet, but monthly I'll take minutes for our neighborhood RFD.

KJ Hooray for potty boot camp!
    Terry Congrats on the first of many sales. Too bad the profit had to go to taxes... hope next sale can contribute to something fun!
    Lisa beautiful view! Is it warm?
    Barbie, "...help one be inclined..." that's what I need. Will add Thinner This Year to the list. Thanks!
    Machka your cherry jam/topping sounds lovely. Now I'm getting hungry, time for that cup of celery ;)

'Night, lovelies.

Mindful and WARM Hugs to all,
    desismileys_4280.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA - for breakfast (now don't laugh) I have a variety of things, many times things that I need to finish up. I've had soup, Fiber One cereal (and different cereals, too), steel cut oats, barley, greek yogurt, almond milk, Dannimal, oatmeal, edamame, peas, blueberries, strawberries, chicken, eggs, veggie burgers/sausages, chicken patties, popcorn (yes), cheese, cottage cheese, honey, everything and anything. was working at the local YMCA and also the school district. Right now I volunteer at Newcomers, volunteer at the Green Room and my church.

Terry - great looking business card! I especially like that you used one of your bracelets

Joyce - I don't think I was at Aldi yesterday. I do plan to go tomorrow a.m. since that seems to be the best time to go shopping -- everyone (or at least most people) is at church so the lines are pretty short and you can get help.

Deb from Boston - hi there! Junp right in.

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Barbara - I have both those books on my Kindle, so they are on my phone as well. I think when you know how the human body works, and how incredible it is, you really feel you don't want to gum up the works. :laugh: Two things stand out for me - lots of veggies, ( including beans, some fruit), and lots of exercise, including some that really gets your heart rate going. That's about it. But it is so important. The mechanism which makes this work and repair damage is fascinating. That's what inspires me.
    Oh, and a little of what you fancy won't do you any harm. Note little. :D

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday --

Today I got out for a rather challenging bicycle ride. I cycled up one hill and then decided to tackle another one right away ... up to a look out point.

Then everything was a bit of a mad dash ... quick bite to eat, groceries, and making scones.

First time I've ever made scones, and I had to make them fast so that my husband could give them, and the jam, a try before he went to bed!! They turned out reasonably well ... just that next time I make them, I might make them slightly larger.

And the jam is all right ... tastes good, could be a little firmer, but all right. Especially for a first attempt.

Now I've got to clean the kitchen!! And then take a quick look at my project. It's 10:40 pm ... lots of time! Hahaha!

Distance: 63.7 km (39.5 miles)
    Elevation: 1,006 m (3300 ft)

Moving Time: 4:02:02
    Elapsed Time: 4:28:56
    Speed: Avg: 15.8 km/h | Max: 42.1 km/h

nqvcn30ooi24.png

Machka in Oz