WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    BREAKFAST: I usually eat a piece of dry toast with either an egg or pimento cheese. Sometimes grits instead of toast.

JOBS: *I tried waiting tables in my dad's restaurant for a few months...I totally stunk at this
    *Then I worked in offices for about 4 years. My title was secretary but I ended up being a glorified dictaphone
    typist.
    *Finally, I started teaching 5th grade and retired after 30 yrs in the same school system. It's funny about
    beginning to teach at age 28 because I had the degree at 21 but did not have the nerve to try.

Kelly ~ Congrats on the potty training. That is a feat to be applauded.

Allie ~ The pup is cute as can be.

Lisa ~ Thinking about you and hope the sale goes through without a hitch.

Heather ~ Doing great regarding the running.

Carol in GA

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Terry ~ Looks Good! :)
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Terry ~ Looks Good! :)

Thanks
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Terry, I wish we still had the awesome button!! Congrats on selling one of your bracelets!
    Kelly, potty boot camp! Love it! Sounds like you made potty training into something fun for the kidlets to try. Super bonus for you not having as many diapers to change!
    Breakfast, fruit and yogurt and then cereal with milk. Comes in just under 400 cals.
    Still working, but part time. Was a cook for many years, then did a stint as a "domestic cleaner". I did work for a company, they supplied all the cleaning products and customers. The pay wasn't great, but I was so tired of cooking! Then I got tired of cleaning and was offered a job by by former boss, cooking again. I never should have said yes, but I was tired of cleaning other peoples toilets (some were SO yucky!!). We were not able to make a go of the pub that he had taken on, thankfully I had no money in it, just my time, but I was out of work. Never thought that at 56 I'd be looking for a job!! I went back to school, got some business admin courses under my belt, as well as some formal computer training. Then bumped into a woman that I had done some exercise classes with, she is the manager of the storage facility that I now work at. And I love my job! I was out of work for two years and while I loved the freedom of not having to get up and go to work every day, I really missed the income. It did work out for the best tho, my dad was not well, so I was able to help him out a bit and then when he passed I inherited his bank accounts. I'm an only child so had no one to fight with over it. That inheritance is what kept food on the table til I finished my course and found a job!
    Yesterday was not a great day, but wasn't the worst day ever either, so I'll take it. Today is shaping up to be a decent day, have done some walking, going to head out and do some more soon. Lunch was reasonably calorie wise and dinner will be also. Then just need to brush my teeth right away and there will be no after dinner snacking that way. I also really need to get to bed earlier tonight! Last night the time just flew til it was 11 and I hadn't even had my shower yet! Ugh. I had a hard time getting my "up" button to work this morning! Oh well, did get up, had my lunch pretty much already to go, so I even did dishes before I left the house. Nice coming home to a reasonably clean kitchen! Must go.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    globedit wrote: »
    I was at work from 9 to 5, teaching, prepping, and grading papers, but I still got in 9,500 steps. My commitment to 2018 is to continue living without sugar, to eat healthy, and to walk/jog/workout 6 days a week. Knowing I am fitter at 70 than in my 40s is no excuse to slack off.

Gloriously green, though rainy, Seattle, WA

Am I reading this right? You are 70 years old? Because if this is true ...you look absolutely amazing!!

Beth
  • bwcetc
    Options
    Sisters:

What do you eat for breakfast?

What sorts of jobs are you retired from? Or, like me, are you still working?

Do you work part-time, or volunteer in retirement?

Karen in Virginia

Breakfast ... when I eat breakfast, do best with no gluten ... so steel cut oats, crustless quiches or just scrambled eggs, yogurt with honey almond granola.

Jobs .... still working part-time as the only cleaner for our church, currently working full-time as one of my OS personal care aides (but hope to find a replacement soon as I'm wearing out). I've worked in public relations/advertising; held many, many secretarial positions; co-owned an appliance repair service with my husband, served as a lunch lady!! (sadly I had the arms for it), and made incredible money as a nanny among other things!

Retirement ... if I ever get to retire, I hope to volunteer.

Beth

• bwcetc
    Options
    Yogurt Making ... a resounding success!! The yogurt turned out as promised ... any adjustments I'll make will be based on my preferences.

Instant Pot Question ... have any of you used the slow cooker function? I am not impressed and halfway through the day transferred everything to my traditional crockpot.

Beth near Buffalo
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    stat for the day:

Spin- 1hr, 89ar, 93aw, 130ahr, 161mhr, 14.1mi = 535c
    Apple Watch- 527c

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I don't normally eat until noon and then it's usually a hard boiled egg and 1 small slice of bread or 1 ryvita. Weekend if going out to drink DH does bacon egg and beans, helps absorb the alcohol (DH says)

ALLIE love Alfie he's so cute

Kate UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Beth - The general consensus is that the slow cooker function is not good. If you do use it it's best to use high. I have never used it. Have you looked at the Facebook Community group for the IP. ? I just Google it and haven't joined, but it has been very helpful for those kinds of questions. I don't know what you were cooking, but the manual pressure cooking setting works best for nearly everything. I just leave my stews, curries etc on keep warm after they've cooked. Or reheat them on Sauté. You can also set the timer to start at a later time if you are out all day which is great for vegetarian dishes or frozen meat.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth I agree about the IP slow cooker function, don’t like it, but I don’t have a proper glass lid either so I don’t know if that had anything to do with results. So far I’ve used and love the following functions on my mini: Sauté, soup, keep warm, yogurt, rice and of course pressure cook—I’ve cooked stew in IP but didn’t use the stew button—used pressure cook manual setting.

NYKAREN
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Breakfast, I eat when I get to work. Oatmeal w/blueberries, English muffin/egg/cheese or a bagel and cream cheese . Usually the oatmeal.

Terry