WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2018

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,635 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Machka – interesting about not finding pectin, and jars easily, all of the grocery stores, and even many of the discount or hardware stores carry them here.

Kelly – my heart breaks for that situation…

Planning - I also plan well out, I have an event in May well planned, and by June will buy the next year’s planner…

Pip – nothing looking old there!!!

Lanette - Salad dressing, I love the stuff, especially the creamy ones, so as I realized the amount of calories in them I started trying all sorts of ones and some recipes and finally found BOLTHOUSE, they are in the refrigerated section of the produce isle in Safeway and Lucky and they are yogurt based, so not too many unpronounceable things, taste good to me, and they run 40-50 calories for 2 tablespoons.

Katla – I’m glad to hear you got to go visit Arrow, I find getting outside and doing something challenging can help my mood, and focuses my energy in a different direction.

My company is running late getting here, so having a very productive morning… Love those times.

Smiles

Kim from N. California
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    619380a8c7yo5al4.gif
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla The broken brain links are capricious, just like Arrow! If not for Lanette's link, I would not be able to access episode 3. I accessed 1 & 2 by going to brokenbrain.com/01 and then brokenbrain.com/02, but when I tried the same for episode three, it said it was expired. But it's not. And I am not getting proper emails. I got the one for episode 1 twice and not one for episode 2 or 3. So I think I am the wrong one to ask. Lanette seems to have a handle on it. Fitting that the 3rd episode is on dementia, as I feel a little demented after all of that.

My cleaner is like a family member, and we are satisfied with her work. She is very flexible, as are we. Your cleaner sounds expensive and mediocre.

It sounds as if you & Arrow had a tough day. Sending a (((hug)))

Karen in Virginia
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    well here he is after his trip to the groomers~ Mr Alfie..

Allie, I think I’m in love.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Thanks ... for the info on the strainers that can be used for yogurt. I was tempted to buy some fancy-dancy yogurt strainer that was linked to my recipe (just a fine mesh strainer over a container) ... coffee filters and a regular strainer sound like a better deal.

The yogurt has set! Will strain later this evening. I took a little taste ... tasted good!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Allie - Alfie is ADORABLE! What a cutie. I had a pupster like that about 20 years ago, her name was Bear and she was the best. I got goosebumps just looking at the pictures you posted, and a little teary-eyed. Good luck to your dad next week. And you - hope things are going smoother with all that.

Broken Brain Episode 3 - very good, it's long. I watch it in "spurts" so hope to rewatch it again tomorrow. They tell a lot about eating healthy fats - olive oil and avocados. Looks like the Mediterranean diet, a keto diet, doing intermittent fasting (IF), and cardio exercise every day is a good thing. In addition to eliminating sugars and processed food, of course.

And meditation helps! Even doing it for a week has remarkable results.

Those of you doing IF - do you save your coffee, if you drink it, for the 8 hour window? I need it when I first get up (normally between 4 and 5 am), often to quell a teensy sinus headache. I put milk or hemp milk in it to cut the acid. Then, I can easily wait a few hours to actually eat food - so eating between 8 am and 4 pm wouldn't be a problem since I generally turn in by 7:30. Maybe it doesn't make that much difference.

I try to walk each day - I don't huff and puff by any means, but walk at a fairly good clip. And do strength training every other day, including some jumping jacks. I generally work up a sweat by the end of the workout. I'd like to do something to get my blood really pumping (high intensity) on the off days. Suggestions - running in place? More jumping jacks?

I'm about 2/3 through Episode 3.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Lanette: re coffee. There are almost as many opinions about morning coffee and IF as there are IF practicing folk. A common view is that if you keep your total calories ( from milk/sweetener) under 50 cals, go ahead and enjoy your coffee.

I drink mine black, and have 3 cups everyday first thing. No exceptions IF or not. I am a monster otherwise.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Katla - Gosh, that is very expensive! Mine comes through an agency and even with the agency fee it is just over half what you are paying. My son has an "if and when" cleaning company come in when they can't stand their house any longer. :o:D They do a brilliant job, hotel standard. When I employed direct I paid the cleaner more, but still only about half what you are paying.

Lanette - I think everyone knows what they should do and should eat. Getting people to actually do it would be an amazing feat! My thoughts are that when I was fat and unhealthy I had no idea how good being ultra well would feel. So I let the moment take me over. Then I got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired and something clicked, but I had no idea how wonderful good eating and exercise feels. I still am amazed every day. I don't take any of it for granted.
    I think you need to find an aerobic/cardiovascular exercise you personally enjoy. If you don't enjoy it you won't stick with it. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    allie Alfie is tooo cuuutte, thanks for sharing the pics. NYKAREN
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Allie, Alfie is just plain adorable! Such cute puppy eyes! {{{HUGS}}} for you and your dad. Hoping that all goes well.
    I, too, am absolutely blown away by those people and their kids! How can somebody do that to their children??? I just can't fathom it. And definitely shame on anybody who knew something funny was going on and didn't bother to contact anyone.
    Heather, you are so right! I know what I should and shouldn't eat. It's sticking to just that that makes life interesting (or difficult! lol).
    Wendy, we've been using the "not my circus, not my monkeys" for a long time. Older son has changed it to "not my sea monkeys, not my pond" I kind of like that one and have been known to use and/or modify it myself! (not my honey bees, not my hive?? lol)
    Lisa, keeping my fingers crossed for you! Sure would be exciting for you to get rid of the warehouse!
    Yesterday was a productive day. Didn't get in any exercise, skipped the gym today too, just felt I needed sleep more. I have been trying to get in some extra steps at work, and that has been going well. But yesterday I got Christmas stuff all put away, sorted through some linens and got rid of a pile, have 3 boxes, one is Christmas stuff that I will have to hang on to til this fall, I don't imagine the places that accept donations would appreciate that stuff now, but that's okay. I have another one that's not Christmas that I think will probably get more stuff put in it and then there is one box that I will donate to a charity that helps mostly women get back on their feet. They will help men also, but it's primarily women. They accept household goods that are in good shape, gently used is their mantra. I have some brand new candle sets that are quite lovely but I'm just not into candles right now and they are taking up space. I bought them when I was selling Avon, thinking that someone else might buy them and then I would already have it, but that didn't work out. Oh well, someone will enjoy them! I also have a box of recyclable electronic stuff and one of paper. I went through some of my stuff and decided that I really didn't need my school report cards etc. Still have a bunch of photos that I need to go through, probably a lot of those can be dumped too. Felt good to go through all that stuff! Found the top of a couple of surfaces and managed to get the closet door in my computer/craft room closed! Very exciting!! lol
    Pip, you look amazing!
    Must go.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    <3<3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    thanks for all the compliments ladies.... i feel like some of my face shots look soo bad. i HATE taking pics, we each are our own worse critics

Pip - um, what a teen-aged bod! Holy moly! I thought this group was for gals 55+ ;) .... you are just one of many who have turned back time, lol. You are beautiful through and through - just ask Kirby! <3

Lanette