Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

We're not responsible for being obese?

Options

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It would be so easy to blame my eighteen year drug addiction on oh let’s see, my father, my mother, society, social services, my ex and then my subsequent obesity as an after effect.

There’s only one person who is responsible here. That’s me. I look at it as Survival of the Fittest. No one made me use and no one made me stop. No one made me overeat and no one is making me stop. It’s up to ME.

+1
    It may seem easier to blame others for your situation but at the end of the day the only power everyone else has over your life is what you give them. I'm glad you were able to take your power back and gain control.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Basically: I'm not {overweight, jobless, balding, etc} I'm just a victim!...and not only that, the world has to change to suit MEEEEE, not the other way around!

Side note: A friend of mine lost her husband to painkillers/heroin. He wrecked his back on a construction job, doc handed the painkillers out like candy, he was so outta his mind that the doc just cut him off cold turkey, then he looked for an alternative- heroin...it wrecked their marriage, he ended up bouncing in/out of rehab, and eventually OD'd on a tainted batch of smack. This could've all been avoided if 1. The docs didn't just throw drugs at it and instead proscribed surgery/rehab 2. He admitted to having a drug problem! As my dad says: "It takes TWO to tango!"

At the risk of coming across as a cold hearted *kitten*, this still falls to personal responsibility. I could blame my dope dealer for my addiction but how would that lead to the necessary enlightenment needed for recovery?

• Good_Morning_Glory
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    .... Pain clinics sprang up, some regs were relaxed. Now we have an opioid crisis. Unrelated?...

Pain clinics are not the problem, and neither is the existence of opioids. The problem is abuse by people who use the drugs, then abuse them, then look for ways to feed their habits. It's the bad choices of the abusers that have caused the epidemic, not the existence of pain clinics.

Pain clinics use a variety of techniques to help people manage chronic pain: biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy, hypnotherapy, massage, meditation. They're not pill pushing stations and it does a disservice to those who work at pain clinics to blame them for the situation society finds itself in.

I agree with this.

@AnnPT77 I’d hope that if I were in a terminal situation, I’d have access to opiates. I’ll be honest, there are situations in which it has its place. I’m so sorry for your loss.

• jenfitnessmama
    jenfitnessmama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    While I agree that there is some government responsibility to help educate people I 100% believe that we are responsible for our OWN actions. I gained 25 lbs. during my pregnancy, but no one made me gain more weight or kept me from losing the weight but myself and my own choices. It was my own stupid decisions.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    .... Pain clinics sprang up, some regs were relaxed. Now we have an opioid crisis. Unrelated?...

Pain clinics are not the problem, and neither is the existence of opioids. The problem is abuse by people who use the drugs, then abuse them, then look for ways to feed their habits. It's the bad choices of the abusers that have caused the epidemic, not the existence of pain clinics.

Pain clinics use a variety of techniques to help people manage chronic pain: biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy, hypnotherapy, massage, meditation. They're not pill pushing stations and it does a disservice to those who work at pain clinics to blame them for the situation society finds itself in.

I agree with this.

@AnnPT77 I’d hope that if I were in a terminal situation, I’d have access to opiates. I’ll be honest, there are situations in which it has its place. I’m so sorry for your loss.

With the way the pendulum is swinging, you may not.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Again, I think some people are conflating two different types of questions.

Do you have a problem (whether with drugs or obesity or something else)? Best to realize you can do something about it and take control, of course.

Can we, as "society" make choices that will affect how common particular problems are? And, if so, is that worth discussing and understanding? IMO, yes to that too.

Yeah, I don't feel we have the stark "either/or" situation here that (some) posts seem to be referencing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,182 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

I should've said explicitly: I mostly agree with @vingogly's point, too. I certainly do about pain clinics!

I wouldn't go quite as far in the "all the abuser's fault" direction as I'm perceiving you each going. I think it's a complicated , multifactor situation, of which abusers' will and character is one factor - and I believe that each of our characters are both in our control, and shaped by things outside our control. Nothing is simple! ;)

Thank you for the sympathy . . . but I hope you can understand that I mentioned it to sharpen my point that my concern about pain drugs is far from theoretical, much like your experience with addiction.

Past is past, now. We are here, not there. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,182 Member
    Options

Do you have a problem (whether with drugs or obesity or something else)? Best to realize you can do something about it and take control, of course.

Can we, as "society" make choices that will affect how common particular problems are? And, if so, is that worth discussing and understanding? IMO, yes to that too.

I 100% agree with both pieces.

Pithy summation from you, as is so often the case.

Thanks for that - and for that earlier bit of history from econtalk, too, BTW.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I don’t think it’s an either/or, myself. They both happen to be related in my situation. Whether or not there is someone or something to blame regarding addiction AND obesity. I’ve experience with both. Turns out it was all me lol.

I don’t think it’s a ‘fault’ situation. I was just sharing what I know in regards to whether or not we can or should place blame elsewhere. I’m only going on my own education and experience regarding both obesity and addiction. Different situations produce differing reactions. It’s relative. :)

I’m so glad I’m neither using nor obese these days. Farther from the using than the obesity though. Work in progress. ;)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Thank you. I keep reading replies thinking to myself... "There's plenty of blame/responsibility to go around, on both sides of the issue" and thought I was missing something.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Basically: I'm not {overweight, jobless, balding, etc} I'm just a victim!...and not only that, the world has to change to suit MEEEEE, not the other way around!

Side note: A friend of mine lost her husband to painkillers/heroin. He wrecked his back on a construction job, doc handed the painkillers out like candy, he was so outta his mind that the doc just cut him off cold turkey, then he looked for an alternative- heroin...it wrecked their marriage, he ended up bouncing in/out of rehab, and eventually OD'd on a tainted batch of smack. This could've all been avoided if 1. The docs didn't just throw drugs at it and instead proscribed surgery/rehab 2. He admitted to having a drug problem! As my dad says: "It takes TWO to tango!"

Easy to say if you have never been addicted. Esp with opioids, some of the more common drugs prescribed are qualitatively more powerful and more physically addictive than ever before. That can’t be dismissed, no matter how inconvenient it is for those who want simple solutions.

Addiction is a complex issue—physically, emotionally, behaviorally, etc. The cost to society is tremendous and dealing with it requires multifaceted interventions. Personal responsibility is one component, but to reduce it to only that is unproductive.

I am going to have to disagree. All the intervention on the planet isn’t going to stop an addict from using. On the other hand, all the intervention on the planet isn’t going to stop an addict from recovery. It takes personal choices and personal responsibility.

I agree it’s a tremendous drain. Policy for reform is *kitten* up.

As a recovering addict, I’m in a bit of a unique position here. I MOSTLY know (eighteen years of spending lots of ‘quality time’ with other addicts) where the mindset is in the case of an active user. I say let natural selection take its course instead of throwing good money after bad. Is that the right way to term that quote?

The obesity crisis is a bit of a parallel situation.

It’s going to take personal responsibility and personal change. Yes get help. But there will come a time (multiple times of intervention and draining the system) in which it’s going to take personal responsibility and the realization that it takes YOU doing the work. The system can only help so much.

I suspect the more we discussed this topic, we would agree more than disagree. As in most of these discussion, we are emphasizing those aspects of the issue we feel are most important. That emphasis doesn’t mean I don’t disagree entirely with your thoughts.

I would just say that, from my reference point, in the long run, the cost of non-intevention is much, much higher than “throwing the good money” at a very, very difficult problem. Not everything can be solved by “willing” it to be so.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am normally not a big conspiracy person, and I am not an expert on this subject by any means. But with the opioid epidemic, I do think there have been some larger forces at work that make this more than a “weak people making bad choices” issue.

Here is one story for reference: http://www.businessinsider.com/opioid-crisis-conspiracy-2017-9

I also don’t think you can make the blanket assertion that because Person X was able to “recover” from their addiction, and Person Y was not, Person X is automatically “better” and Person Y is a weak person who deserves their fate. Some people are just broken. I completely understand if you are a friend or a family member and you get to the point where you just have to cut the person off. I have never had to live for extended periods with someone who was addicted (my sister died two years ago of conditions associated with opioid overuse, but she was a recluse who I only communicated with a few times in the last 25 years). I can imagine if you have that first-hand experience, you might have a different view. But I also think that, as a society, we can take a larger view and continue to work to improve things, even if it seems hopeless at times.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I never said that anyone who isn’t able to overcome addiction is weak or deserves their fate. I don’t think I’m better than the people I care about who are still out there using. I just didn’t have any more blame to give or excuses to make. I’m no better than anyone. No worse either. :)

Edited to say: Again I only shared my experience and education to stand by my conviction that there is no one to blame for something that I did to myself. And I’m not alone.